PDA

View Full Version : suggestions of helpful drills

dr.freestyler
08-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on usefull drills with a ball machine (oscilating and varying speeds/height). Obviously i can just hit back till the cows come home, i am looking for drills that will translate to improving my strategy,placement, etc. Something that will replicate real game scenarios.

If anyone has any useful links that would be great too.

thanks

The Prodigy
08-26-2006, 09:52 PM
running down a ball? I don't use ball machines, but I guess you can try being on one side of the court, and having the ball machine feed to the opposite side of the baseline. after running it down, try your best to either hit a short crosscourt or down the line deep...? just a small suggestion.

ubel
08-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Want strategies? Play matches against people or get a coach.

Ball machines will help you fine tune your strokes and if used for long enough, will show you mistakes in your technique that will cost you in the long run. You'll get more power from a more fluid stroke, allowing you to conserve energy. You'll get more focused footwork training that can be directly translated into your game making your strokes easier to execute, and thus vastly improving your defense/offense. Oscillating back and forth will help you get used to the running and stroke execution that can and WILL keep you balanced around the court. You'll learn to hit the ball earlier with better technique allowing you to stay closer to the baseline, or even allow you to hit more offensive shots and come in to close out points more. Not to mention the stamina boost.

Strategy is pointless if you can't execute the strokes necessary to make them work. Work on that backhand, place that overhead, work on those stretching vollies (not to the point of injury though :P), and learn to add more power and accuracy to your strokes :)

andyroddick's mojo
08-27-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm looking for something similar too. I have a ball machine but all I really do is hit forehands and backhands to finetune my stroke. I'd like to have my machine replicate some shots that I might find in a match.

vinky
08-27-2006, 01:15 AM
can you set programs with your ball machine, where it'll shoot balls in a controlled sequence? Besides having the ball machine alternate feeds to your fh and bh, you might like playing out patterns like 3 fhs in a row then a bh or something like that.

andyroddick's mojo
08-27-2006, 01:34 AM
i'd like that, but my ball machine can't do that. it can only shoot in one direction and also has a random horizontal presetting, which can be troublesome if not set correctly, cause then balls fly wide.