PDA

View Full Version : serve grip

Steve Huff
08-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I've helped a lot of kids with their serving in the past. One guy kept his grip in a true "hammer-like" grip. Yes, it was a continental. I told him to spread his fingers apart more. How do most of you who teach tell kids to hold their rackets? Like a hammer, or same with their fingers spread a little?

Amone
08-27-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm not a coach, but I'd say that spread is good. Generally, in the first finger apart from all the others. I tried once, seperating my first finger from all the others as much as I possibly could, and my serve was spinnier and more consistent than ever.

Hurt my finger, though.

Steve Huff
08-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. More control too.

TylerWeekes
08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
I teach a true continental on the serve: Heel pad of the hand and the base knuckle of your first finger on the second flat bevel. This will result in the palm of the hand touching the entire bevel chosen. The hammer grip or fist continental can result in a tightening of the forearm during pronation, as well as making the contact point closer to the baseline then desirable.

I am biomechanical based in my teaching, and I would NOT encourage the fist grip on the serve.

-Tyler:D

thursdayisgod
08-30-2006, 08:38 AM
I like to use contintental on my 2nd serves since for me, it is extremely consitent but not all too powerful. First serves I like to go SW for a flat serve and SE for a slice or kicker. Or if I want tremendous spins I go completely Eastern but it's really hard.

And I was taught not to spread fingers at all, rather keep your hand as close to the bottom of the racquet as possible, i'm assuming it's to exaggerate the snapping motion before contact.

Ten_is
08-30-2006, 11:12 AM
I'd like to know the proper way of serving as well with the grips. Any advanced players wanna comment? thanks.