PDA

View Full Version : Penn vs. Wilson balls

TaylorW
08-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey guys, just wondering which ball maker you prefer, for duribilty and best value. Thanks

travlerajm
08-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I prefer Dunlops > Wilson > Penn.

I like balls that get balder as you play. Penns do the opposite and get fuzzier.
A balder ball doesn't sloe down as much in the air, while a fuzzy ball slows down a lot. Since I prefer to play a serve-and-volley style, a smoother ball is better, so I don't really like Penns. Dunlops are even smoother than Wilsons.

That said, I end up buying Penns anyway because that's the oly brand available at Costco.

Midlife crisis
08-27-2006, 09:22 PM
That said, I end up buying Penns anyway because that's the oly brand available at Costco.

I've given up on those Penn balls that I purchase from Costco. We've gone through four or five cases of them in the last six months and without exception, the balls don't last any longer than a couple of sessions of hitting with my son. They then go flat and get very fuzzy, even if the sessions are on consecutive days.

There was a special on Wilson balls for the same price at a department store. These stay bouncy for as long as there is any fuzz, which is four or five casual hitting sessions. They never get fuzzy like the Penn balls do either.

TennsDog
08-27-2006, 09:42 PM
I have had too many Wilson US Open balls in matches that end up with something loose in them rattling around that drives me crazy. So I do my best to avoid buying them, and usually Wilson in general. Dunlop is my favorite, followed by Penn. Dunlop balls just don't seem to change their texture after use as much as other brands. It's just too bad they aren't nearly as easy to find as Wilson or Penn.

Aeropro joe
08-27-2006, 09:59 PM
I have had too many Wilson US Open balls in matches that end up with something loose in them rattling around that drives me crazy. So I do my best to avoid buying them, and usually Wilson in general. Dunlop is my favorite, followed by Penn. Dunlop balls just don't seem to change their texture after use as much as other brands. It's just too bad they aren't nearly as easy to find as Wilson or Penn.
TennsDog I'm right there with you, I love the dunlops, and every tournament I have entered this year has used the US Open Wilson balls and I hate them, they do not last for me. I guess they use them at tourneys though because they seem to be a neutral ball, not hard like the dunlops (although I am not bothered by their playability) and not super rockets like the gammas.

armand
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I've been using ProPenn in my league and they're not bad. Nearly as good as Dunlops and much better than Wilsons.

also, observe the numbers in this poll: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=59994

mctennis
08-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Penn are made in the USA- buy Penn.

gb93433
08-27-2006, 10:17 PM
I prefer Dunlops > Wilson > Penn.

I like balls that get balder as you play. Dunlops are even smoother than Wilsons.

When Dunlops get bald they get lighter and are like rockets.

drakulie
08-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I like balls that get balder as you play. Penns do the opposite and get fuzzier. A balder ball doesn't sloe down as much in the air, while a fuzzy ball slows down a lot. Since I prefer to play a serve-and-volley style, a smoother ball is better, so I don't really like Penns. Dunlops are even smoother than Wilsons.

Completely agree and for the same reason.

zhan
08-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Penn are made in the USA- buy Penn.

its not worth it to be patriotic and have a 2nd grade ball to play with :(