PDA

View Full Version : Are high forehands or backhands predominantly hitted flat?

Golden Retriever
08-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Should high forehand(backhand) be hitted flat or with topspin? I have tried both with little success.

Fumoffu
08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Depends on the style of play, I assume. If it's REALLY high then I just prefer to rip it with TS, but if its going to be moderately high I take it off the rise and smack it flat. Fun times

Golden Retriever
08-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Depends on the style of play, I assume. If it's REALLY high then I just prefer to rip it with TS, but if its going to be moderately high I take it off the rise and smack it flat. Fun times

I am talking about really high ones almost like an overhead but not quite.

LuckyR
08-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Assuming you are not incredibly short, "almost overhead" means off of a lob. In that case I do hit an overhead, albeit with my knees bent a bit.

RiosTheGenius
08-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I am talking about really high ones almost like an overhead but not quite.
in that case I rather move back and wait 'till it drops about my shoulder and just crank it cross court..... high balls are always slower than low clearance shots, which allows time to do this. at that height and distance, a cross court winner isn't such a dangerous thing to do as there's plenty of room for the ball to drop, especially on the forehand side if you hit a very heavy topspin spear. .... suddenly you're on the offense again.

squints
08-27-2006, 03:30 PM
i catch them early off the rise so you don't have to worry about the height. makes for a better return too IMO. it's what alot of pro's do.

Jonny S&V
08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Loop on FH, chip-charge on BH. Love coming in on a slice BH with too much under/sidespin to handle, makes for an easy volley.

Rickson
08-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Should high forehand(backhand) be hitted flat or with topspin? I have tried both with little success.
If you mean flat as in straight through or even with a slight downward trajectory, I say hell yeah hit them flat, but if you mean flat as in no spin at all, not necessarily. I hit my high forehands with some forward spin as we've discussed in another thread, but they're not loopy like most topspin shots. Hit straight through with a closed face on high forehands and you'll be sending some flat bombs to your opponent.

papa
08-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I think there are a lot of options depending on location and the height of the shot your talking about. One option that hasn't been discussed is the slice which might be the easiest responce.

fx101
08-28-2006, 05:59 AM
The preferred method is to take the ball on the rise, however if that is not possible, hitting a heavy topspin shot back is a higher percentage shot than just smashing it because of increased net clearance. This is where players who use the western grip (like me) have an advantage because our contact point is significantly higher. I don't recommend slicing a high ball because the net clearance is minimal (due to the downward effect of the slice) and is a high risk shot.

papa
08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't recommend slicing a high ball because the net clearance is minimal (due to the downward effect of the slice) and is a high risk shot.

Although I respect your opinion, I don't agree with it unless the ball is really high like shoulder height or more. Slice backhand drive, for example, can be a very effective response to a high ball and net clearance is usually not a big factor. However, there are so many factors involved that without a specific example, its hard to provide adequate/meaningfull advice. But, I don't see a slice return a "high risk" option and would rather think it a very conservative approach.

AngeloDS
08-28-2006, 09:59 AM
I'll have to go with Jonny. Looping back the forehand is the best choice unless you have a semi-western where you can flatten out the forehand but I'd pick out the loopy shot.

For the backhand it depends if you have a one handed or two handed. Two handed you can flatten out the shot and get that power. One handed it's a really defensive position and you can't create an offensive shot off it; so slicing is the best choice for a one hander.

bad_call
08-28-2006, 10:49 AM
for really high balls on BH side - i topspin the poop out of it and have good success...but then again my BH is fairly strong. not so high BH - then take ur pick. same thing on FH side. u really need to see what ur opponent is doing cause they may get set up for ur shot and u will need to react quickly to the returning ball. :p ...get ready to sprint...

Fumoffu
08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
I'll have to go with Jonny. Looping back the forehand is the best choice unless you have a semi-western where you can flatten out the forehand but I'd pick out the loopy shot.

For the backhand it depends if you have a one handed or two handed. Two handed you can flatten out the shot and get that power. One handed it's a really defensive position and you can't create an offensive shot off it; so slicing is the best choice for a one hander.

LIES. I take my one hander off the rise and hit it offensively all the time. LIES!! (albeit, its my weapon but still, you're making it sound impossible with the "can't".) At best it's a "difficult" shot, and it requires a lot of timing and you have to be extremely comfortable with the one hander (though if you weren't I don't see why you'd be using one.). Heck, you could even turn that slice into an offensive shot.

thursdayisgod
08-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Practice all, then hit the shot that your specific opponent has the most trouble replying to.

Kevo
08-28-2006, 03:48 PM
I recommend either taking it early if that is an option, if it's not throw back a high looper and give yourself some time to get back into the court. In my 4.0 league there are quite a few guys who hit the moon ball because many people get frustrated by it. If you loop it back deep they get some of their own medicine. Not many of them hit the topspin moon ball. It's mostly a flat moon ball. If you really get some heavy spin on it you can push the right off the court, and sometimes it will bounce completely over their head. That's really fun if they've been "mooning" you a lot. :-)

Mahboob Khan
08-28-2006, 05:14 PM
I do not see any point adding more topspin to a ball that is already high! I would bring this ball down in the court. I will be pressing this ball more than lifting it!

Rickson
08-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I agree with Mahboob and would not send a loopy topspin shot back to a ball that's already high. I love high forehands and I cram them every opportunity I get. Since the ball is already very high, I don't need much net clearance and I've hardly ever sent a high ball into the net or even beyond the baseline.

bad_call
08-28-2006, 07:27 PM
I do not see any point adding more topspin to a ball that is already high! I would bring this ball down in the court. I will be pressing this ball more than lifting it!

i'd love to show u...:mrgreen:

fx101
08-29-2006, 06:22 PM
If the ball is too high, it's very hard to slice it (I'm talking above shoulder high). In this case a flat or topspin shot is easier to hit. If it's below the shoulder then a slice is a comfortable and recommendable shot to make. This is not a contradiction of my previous post. I simply wish to elaborate as I was referring to actual HIGH balls (I'm talking head high). Below the shoulder is not really a high ball. Yes, topspin is a good shot on an already high ball as you counter the spin that is coming toward you when you do so. By hitting slice you are increasing the spin on the ball and thus need proper contact or risk easily framing the shot if the ball kicks up on you. You decide, every person has his/her preference in this area. Since I play on clay, we try to avoid hitting high slices as it will usually result in a winner coming back. On grass (another court my club offers) hitting topspin back is just asking for a clean winner. Slicing is the only way on grass. On hard court it's really your choice. See what works best for you. A person's recommendation is only worth so much, your "gut feeling" is worth a lot more.

MasterTS
08-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Topspin + sidespin is the key.