PDA

View Full Version : Newk's

boxingguy
08-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Anyone going to Newk's in September?

dempsey
08-29-2006, 04:43 PM
I was considering it but decided to go to Saddlebrook instead.

boxingguy
08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Let us know how Saddlebrook is. I'll be at Newk's the week of Sept. 10. I guess I'll have the whole place to myself!

dempsey
08-30-2006, 11:01 AM
i'll be sure to let you know. You do likewise. I think I am going to have Saddlebrook to myself as well.

Geezer Guy
09-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Let us know how Saddlebrook is. I'll be at Newk's the week of Sept. 10. I guess I'll have the whole place to myself!

I'm thinking of going to Newk's in mid-November.

The first time I went to Newk's (December, 2003) I actually DID have the whole place to myself. I was the only tennis player there for the entire week, and it was GREAT! I had 6 hours of private lessons every day, and twice they set up matches for me against some of the academy kids. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The pro's eat all your meals with you, so you're never sitting around feeling lonely or stupid.

A couple of days there were other players there - they just dropped in for lessons for a day. And, there were always other people at Newk's - just not tennis players. They have other stuff going on there as well.

boxingguy
09-01-2006, 10:01 PM
How did you do against the academy kids?

Geezer Guy
09-05-2006, 12:54 PM
How did you do against the academy kids?

The first match was against a kid that I think was 14 (and he was small for his age). Most points seemed like they could go either way - but they almost always went his way. He beat me 2 and 3, or something like that. The second match was against maybe a 12 year old? My serve was better than his, although he didn't have any trouble returning my serves. I could really tee off on most of his serves, but I didn't hit many actual winners off his serve - I just started those points off in an offensive position. Still, in retrospect, I think I was trying too hard to finish the points off and he did a better job constructing the points and - I hate to say it - he played smarter than I did. He won the first set in a tie-break, and he won the second set 7-5.

Both guys were very polite, and I didn't have any problems with line calls or "attitudes" or anything else. I don't know how they felt playing against an adult, but they didn't seem too anxious about it one way or the other. I imagine they would have been in for some ribbing if they'd let an old guy beat them.

I wouldn't have had a chance against the majority of the kids there. The pro's did a good job setting me up with a couple of kids that would be competitive with me.

However, I must mention that I had just changed my service motion and my forehand motion that week, and I was still working on "perfecting" (Ha!) them. They were not working for me as well then as they are now. If I played them again, I think I could beat them (well, maybe the second guy anyway - if I could somehow go back in time and play him again as a 12 year old!).

boxingguy
09-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I will avenge you!

boxingguy
09-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Here's my report from Newk's:

I spent last Sunday evening to Friday morning at Newk's. I was joking about having the whole place to myself, but turned out I had the whole place to myself. I was the only camper for the week. I was a little apprehensive about it at first, but it turned out to be the best thing that's ever happened for my game. I had private lessons for a week.

I had two instructors for the week. From Sunday evening through Monday my instructor was Ryan, a former college player from Houston in his mid-late twenties, and a super nice guy. Sunday evening we had dinner and then a light hit so he could check me out and we talked about what I wanted to work on. I told Ryan I wanted to hit a heavier ball on my ground strokes, and I needed to get my service toss out in front of me more so I could get a little more pop on the serve. Afterwards we had a drink in the bar. Since I was the only camper there, there wasn't exactly a lot of action in the bar, just kids from the Academy using the wi-fi, but I wasn't there for the nightlife.

Monday I worked with Ryan. We started on the outdoor hard courts. These are the courts they use on the show "Bragging Rights" on the Tennis Channel. As it started to rain later in the day, we finished up the morning on the clay courts, then went to the indoor courts (where they play the match on "Bragging Rights") for the afternoon.

We covered quite a bit that day. Groundstrokes, approach shot, serve, playing points. I saw some immediate improvement on my shots thanks to Ryan's suggestions.

For Tuesday and Wednesday, my instructor was Chris, an Aussie in his mid-twenties. He played Lleyton Hewitt as a junior. (Hewitt, I was told, trained at the junior Academy, along with a lot of other well-known pros, I can’t remember more names right now. I didn’t know that Newk’s junior Academy trains some of the best juniors in the world, just behind Bolletieri’s) Like Ryan, Chris is a super nice and knowledgeable guy. We continued to work on ground strokes and serves, which were the things I wanted to concentrate on. We also worked on volleys, overheads, return of serve. I saw some more immediate improvements with Chris’ input.

Wednesday afternoon I played a match with one of the Academy kids. Very polite, classy 15 year old boy. He had a sharp looking one handed backhand, so I was a little intimidated. The first set went my way, due mostly to errors on his part rather than outstanding play on my part. He took the second. I took a long bathroom break, then managed to pull out the third set. Chris observed the whole time and injected strategic tips. I was feeling pretty full of myself until I asked the kid how long he’d been playing, and he said a year and a half. :shock: I’ve been playing for most of his lifetime.

Wednesday night Chris went over video of my strokes, which I found very revealing and helpful.

Ryan was back on Thursday. Thursday morning we worked more on my groundstrokes and serve as per my request, then we played a doubles match against two other instructors. We were defeated, but it was a fun break from drilling.

In the afternoon, I played a singles match against one of the instructors from the morning’s doubles as per my request. He beat me down good the first set, but I managed to make a match of it the second set thanks to Ryan’s tips and encouragement, losing by just one break.

Friday morning was the last session, and I was feeling rather slow and heavy after four days’ exertions. Ryan and I finished up with more groundstrokes grooving, revisiting my service toss, and playing out some points. By the time I was done, I was done. I couldn’t have hit another ball if my life depended on it. I definitely got my money’s worth of tennis. Lastly, Ryan went over some more video of my strokes.

The accommodations were entirely satisfactory. I stayed in a “cottage”, which was a fairly rustic looking structure on the outside, but was completely clean and comfortable on the inside. It was the size of a typical double hotel room, with cable TV. There was a swimming pool and hot tub, which felt pretty good late in the week.

The food was great, especially the dinners, courtesy of chef Jorge. Granted, I’m not a picky eater, but the dinners were definitely restaurant quality.

When I got back home and hit with my hitting partner, he said there was a big difference in my strokes. He said I was hitting a much bigger ball, which was pretty much exactly what my objective in going to camp was. I would say over the last week my game saw the biggest improvement in the shortest time ever.

So, I give Newk’s a solid A across the board. I hit a ton of balls, ate good food, met great people, enjoyed the Texas Hill Country, and most importantly, became a better player. I would go back in a heartbeat, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to become a better player (remember, you’ll get the most bang for your buck if you’re the only one there).

BiGGieStuFF
09-22-2006, 11:58 PM
sounds cool. I plan on going sometime in the near future. Just seeing who from my circle of buddies wants to go.

By the way. HOw old are you guys?

boxingguy
09-23-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm an old man of 39, but I have the body of a sixteen year old girl.:mrgreen:

Kaptain Karl
09-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Great report, Boxingguy! I've been toying with the idea of seeing if any four of our winter Dubs guys wants to go. You just gave me more "ammo".

- KK

BiGGieStuFF
09-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Maybe we should all coordinate and have a TW newk meetup hahahaha

Geezer Guy
09-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the report back - I was hoping you'd like it.

Excellent job against the academy kid! The "bathroom-break-before-the-third-set" strategy is something they don't teach the kids there, so you used it to your advantage perfectly!

I can't wait to go back - I'm booked for a week in November.

Roforot
10-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Going to Newk's in 2 weeks.
I'm familiar w/ the pros mentioned: Ryan and Chris.
They are great guys and I'm glad to hear that they're cool when there's not an audience as well!
Really excited.

boxingguy
10-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Say hi for me. I earned a free roundtrip with my frequent flyer miles, so I'm thinking of going for a weekend before the end of the year.

Geezer Guy
10-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Going to Newk's in 2 weeks. ...

Are you going to Newk's Fantacy Week? http://www.tennisfantasies.net/

That sounds like loads of fun!

Roforot
10-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Actually no, we're going for the weekend after.
The fantasy week though is really cool as you get to play w/ the pros themselves. It's a lot more $$$ though... if they get Rafter to come over, then I may have to save up b/c he was one of my favorite players!
I am practicing my karaoke, any good song suggestions :)

Geezer Guy
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Last year I was there the week BEFORE fantasy week. Newcombe and several of the Legends came in early, but I never got a chance to hit with them - we just exchanged pleasentries in the bar.

If you're there the weekend after Fantasy week, there will probably still be some Legends there. Newcombe will be there for sure. Those old guys may just be getting warmed up, or they may be pooped out.

Regardless of that, I'm sure you'll have a great weekend. I understand the weekend sessions are almost always better attended than the week-long sessions.

Enjoy!

BiGGieStuFF
10-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Actually no, we're going for the weekend after.
The fantasy week though is really cool as you get to play w/ the pros themselves. It's a lot more $$$ though... if they get Rafter to come over, then I may have to save up b/c he was one of my favorite players!
I am practicing my karaoke, any good song suggestions :)

if you're not black doing baby got back always draws some screams :)

it's even better if you're asian with the flat butt.

ATXtennisaddict
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
are u all talking about john newcombe's camp in New Braunfels?

I heard about it. It's about 1 hr from me I think (ATX). I was thinking about doing it one day but it seems expensive. How much did you all pay, for what program, for how long?

showtime
10-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Okay, you all. I'm a dinosaur and totally new to this, so I'm not ture if I'm doing this correctly. I NEED INFORMATION ON summer tennis programs in tennis academies in Barcelona. Planning this for summer of 2007, have a son aged 15 playing high school varsity, my husband and I play as well. We're +/- 4.0 level players. Want to spend a tennis holiday in Spain where my son can honk his Spanish skills while getting some training in tennis. (Oh, by the way, we're just devoted recreational tennis players, so we want good lesson programs, drills, match plays...but we also want it to be fun.) Can any of you recommend some academies which are good and fun? We're open to the idea of playing one week together as a family, and then leave the boy there at the academy for another week or two while my husband and I go traveling in Spain...THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!

Kaptain Karl
10-06-2006, 03:28 PM
hsio - I was about to recommend you post this in the Travel forum. And you already did it.

(You're a Pro, already.)

- KK

brtennis
10-08-2006, 06:33 AM
anyone going there during thanksgiving week? i'm bringing my son there.

Geezer Guy
10-09-2006, 09:17 AM
are u all talking about john newcombe's camp in New Braunfels?

I heard about it. It's about 1 hr from me I think (ATX). I was thinking about doing it one day but it seems expensive. How much did you all pay, for what program, for how long?

Yep - that's the one. You can find the rates for their week-long and week-end programs at their website: www.newktennis.com They often have 2-for-1 programs if you're traveling with someone. The rates vary depending on the type of accomodation you select, but the rates include lodging, food, and tennis out the wazoo.

I know that occasionally people go for just a day or just a half-day, but I have no idea how much that costs.

Geezer Guy
10-09-2006, 09:19 AM
anyone going there during thanksgiving week? i'm bringing my son there.
I'm going the week before Thanksgiving.

brtennis
10-09-2006, 05:13 PM
This is the first time we'll be there on the Thanksgiving week. How can we be sure if either Chris or Ryan will be there?

Does anyone have Chris' or Ryan's e-mail addresses(so I can ask)?

Geezer Guy
10-10-2006, 09:45 AM
You could call and ask, if it's that big a deal for you. Ryan's a local guy, so I guess there's a chance he would head home for the holiday. It's unlikely he'd be gone all week, but what do I know. Chris is an Aussie. They don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, so I doubt he'd go home for that. But again, what do I know?

If by come chance both Chris and Ryan are NOT there, I'm sure they'd have someone else who was equally good. (but again, wdik?) (Maybe you'll get lessons from the old man himself?)

If it's important to you, call and find out.

brtennis
10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Two years ago, I was there the week before Christmas. It was bad as three out of five days there were different groups come and go. I'm not sure if Chris or Ryan was part of Newk's then but neither of them were there.

I went again last year the week after Christmas and It was much better even though there were 30-35 campers.

Maybe I should avoid the Thanksgiving week.

Geezer Guy
10-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow - I've been there 3 times (each for a week) and during that time the MOST we ever had for a full week was 5, and the most we ever had for an individual day was 8 (I think). 30-35 is a lot of players, but you probably had a very good chance of finding someone at your level to hit with.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Chris was there 2 years ago.
I'm not sure, but I think Ryan was there 2 years ago but he ONLY worked with the academy kids then.
(or maybe I have that backwords).

Good luck - hope you get what suits you the best.

Johnsw92
10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
ive been to newks for the past two summers for the academy cause they gave me a scholarship. It really stepped up my game to another level. This past summer I made their Touring team so I went to england for a month with 7 other guys and 8 girls. They want me to come full time to the academy but i think im goin to go and try saddlebrook and bolletieri.

ATXtennisaddict
10-10-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't need lodging as New Braunfels is 40mins - 1 hour away from Austin so I can drive back and forth. I need to find out how much it'll cost then...

brtennis
10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
The week between Christmas and New Year is always popular. Out of those 30-35 people, at least 10 of them are regulars, almost like a annual ritual for them. Both Chris and Ryan were there and, yeah, in a way it was great as it is easy to find someone your level to hit with. Social aspect was great too. The quality of coaching, however, inevitably suffered as there were 8-10 pros, some of them were not that good.

On the junior side, there were probably 300 kids! No joking. Some of them had to be shipped to some near-by school to play. It was fun due to sheer number of teens there and party too but not good tennis wise.

Geezer Guy
10-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Maybe your best bet then is to just call Newk's and find a week that both guys are going to be there for sure. Pick a less popular week so you'll get more individual attention.

The first time I went to Newk's was the first week of December, 2003. I was the only camper and it was great. The weather was very pleasent 4 1/2 of the 5 days. (The other half day we went to the covered courts.)

The other two times I've gone were for weeks in October and November. There were more campers there those weeks (but not very many, and there was still plenty of individual attention).

Good luck.

ATXtennisaddict
10-12-2006, 12:11 PM
how much did you all pay for your time there? I have looked into rates etc. but I just wanted to see how much did you guys pay.

Geezer Guy
10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
The rate covers all tennis and all meals. The only thing that effects the rate is the time of year you go, the type of accomodations you choose, and whether you're going with a buddy for a 2-for-1 trip. The rates are posted on their website. I paid about $1,100 for my Sun-Fri trip (alone), and I stayed in the most expensive accomodations. (I got a $100 discount by mentioning TennisResortsOnline.com.)

It was WELL worth it!

(eh - that didn't include my bar bill.)

Roforot
10-13-2006, 06:03 PM
I think it's $50-60 for a half day just drilling...
Call and ask them. They do a good job of putting 4 or at most 5 per pro, but you can find similar drill groups in town. Would not go down there though just for drills b/c you miss out on the best part, the social part. Think of it like spring break mixed in w/ a lot of tennis! You'll have a lot more fun w/ 3 or 4 buddies. For example they have "Davis cup" tiebreakers which for me was the first time playing in front of a big audience!

BTW thanks for the Baby got Back suggestion. Will work on that! Need a backup though in case someone else snags it.

Geezer Guy
10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
This probably isn't up your alley, but wasn't Olivia Newton John from Australia? Maybe you could do a ONJ number, in drag, of course, with a huge Aussie accent. Or, better yet, do an Olivia Newton John-Newcombe number as a cross between ONJ and Newk with a big handlebar mustache!

Or, pick some other Aussie band. Air Supply comes to mind, but I'm probably wrong.

Geezer Guy
11-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Here's my report from Newk's:

I spent last Sunday evening to Friday morning at Newk's. I was joking about having the whole place to myself, but turned out I had the whole place to myself. I was the only camper for the week. I was a little apprehensive about it at first, but it turned out to be the best thing that's ever happened for my game. I had private lessons for a week.

I had two instructors for the week. From Sunday evening through Monday my instructor was Ryan, a former college player from Houston in his mid-late twenties, and a super nice guy. Sunday evening we had dinner and then a light hit so he could check me out and we talked about what I wanted to work on. I told Ryan I wanted to hit a heavier ball on my ground strokes, and I needed to get my service toss out in front of me more so I could get a little more pop on the serve. Afterwards we had a drink in the bar. Since I was the only camper there, there wasn't exactly a lot of action in the bar, just kids from the Academy using the wi-fi, but I wasn't there for the nightlife.

Monday I worked with Ryan. We started on the outdoor hard courts. These are the courts they use on the show "Bragging Rights" on the Tennis Channel. As it started to rain later in the day, we finished up the morning on the clay courts, then went to the indoor courts (where they play the match on "Bragging Rights") for the afternoon.

We covered quite a bit that day. Groundstrokes, approach shot, serve, playing points. I saw some immediate improvement on my shots thanks to Ryan's suggestions.

For Tuesday and Wednesday, my instructor was Chris, an Aussie in his mid-twenties. He played Lleyton Hewitt as a junior. (Hewitt, I was told, trained at the junior Academy, along with a lot of other well-known pros, I can’t remember more names right now. I didn’t know that Newk’s junior Academy trains some of the best juniors in the world, just behind Bolletieri’s) Like Ryan, Chris is a super nice and knowledgeable guy. We continued to work on ground strokes and serves, which were the things I wanted to concentrate on. We also worked on volleys, overheads, return of serve. I saw some more immediate improvements with Chris’ input.

Wednesday afternoon I played a match with one of the Academy kids. Very polite, classy 15 year old boy. He had a sharp looking one handed backhand, so I was a little intimidated. The first set went my way, due mostly to errors on his part rather than outstanding play on my part. He took the second. I took a long bathroom break, then managed to pull out the third set. Chris observed the whole time and injected strategic tips. I was feeling pretty full of myself until I asked the kid how long he’d been playing, and he said a year and a half. :shock: I’ve been playing for most of his lifetime.

Wednesday night Chris went over video of my strokes, which I found very revealing and helpful.

Ryan was back on Thursday. Thursday morning we worked more on my groundstrokes and serve as per my request, then we played a doubles match against two other instructors. We were defeated, but it was a fun break from drilling.

In the afternoon, I played a singles match against one of the instructors from the morning’s doubles as per my request. He beat me down good the first set, but I managed to make a match of it the second set thanks to Ryan’s tips and encouragement, losing by just one break.

Friday morning was the last session, and I was feeling rather slow and heavy after four days’ exertions. Ryan and I finished up with more groundstrokes grooving, revisiting my service toss, and playing out some points. By the time I was done, I was done. I couldn’t have hit another ball if my life depended on it. I definitely got my money’s worth of tennis. Lastly, Ryan went over some more video of my strokes.

The accommodations were entirely satisfactory. I stayed in a “cottage”, which was a fairly rustic looking structure on the outside, but was completely clean and comfortable on the inside. It was the size of a typical double hotel room, with cable TV. There was a swimming pool and hot tub, which felt pretty good late in the week.

The food was great, especially the dinners, courtesy of chef Jorge. Granted, I’m not a picky eater, but the dinners were definitely restaurant quality.

When I got back home and hit with my hitting partner, he said there was a big difference in my strokes. He said I was hitting a much bigger ball, which was pretty much exactly what my objective in going to camp was. I would say over the last week my game saw the biggest improvement in the shortest time ever.

So, I give Newk’s a solid A across the board. I hit a ton of balls, ate good food, met great people, enjoyed the Texas Hill Country, and most importantly, became a better player. I would go back in a heartbeat, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to become a better player (remember, you’ll get the most bang for your buck if you’re the only one there).

Just re-read your post, and am SO excited about my trip next week! This will be my 4th year to take a week at Newk's.

Rafa's best friend
11-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Is there any Hot women in Newk's tennis ranch ??

Geezer Guy
11-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Is there any Hot women in Newk's tennis ranch ??

In the past years, there was 1 cute pro.

Most of the adult campers I've seen have been "OK", but not quite "Hot".

If you're HS age, there are some academy girls that are pretty cute. (And, I suppose to a HS boy they'd be "Hot".)

Generally speaking, though, it's just a short drive into town at the end of the day to find the "Hot" women (and SA does have it's share).

Rafa's best friend
11-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Count me in, i will try to be there in January. 1 cute pro meaning a woman i presume?? If i am not HS age, can i still go after cute academy girls??

Rafa's best friend
11-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Count me in, i will try to be there in January. 1 cute pro meaning a woman i presume?? If i am not HS age, can i still go after cute academy girls??

Geezer Guy
11-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Yes - to your first question.

No - to your second. Make that Hell No!

LuckyR
11-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Make that Hell No!

^^^^ What he said. Spoken like a Dad with a shovel and a lot of property out back...

BiGGieStuFF
11-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Freshman in college vs Senior in HS? :)

Geezer Guy
11-09-2006, 11:26 AM
No. Find someone your own age to play with.

Redflea
11-29-2006, 06:54 PM
I was showing my wife this thread and Newk's site, and she surprised me by saying that she wants to go to a tennis camp, but wants to go to one in Southern California, so we can also visit some friends who live there before/after the camp.

Anyone know know of a camp that is as good as Newk's looks/sounds that is in that region?

Rafa's best friend
11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Is there any really Hot womaen teaching pros there????

BiGGieStuFF
11-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Is there any really Hot womaen teaching pros there????

Deja Vu? hmmmm

boxingguy
11-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Places in Southern Cal are going to be more resort-like than camp-like, a la Newk's.
Poke around www.tennisresortsonline.com
Shadow Mountain and Reed Anderson have good reps, but I don't have firsthand knowledge.

Geezer Guy
11-30-2006, 05:30 AM
I met some guys that had been to Gardiners in Cali 2 years ago. They liked the tennis instruction, and said the food was VERY good. Almost TOO good. They were there for a week and although the played a LOT of tennis every day, they still gained 5 pounds. My understanding is that it's a bit more of a "resort" atmosphere than Newk's, but not as much as some of the other places.

atatu
11-30-2006, 08:08 AM
I was showing my wife this thread and Newk's site, and she surprised me by saying that she wants to go to a tennis camp, but wants to go to one in Southern California, so we can also visit some friends who live there before/after the camp.

Anyone know know of a camp that is as good as Newk's looks/sounds that is in that region?

You might want to check out the Brady Tennis Camp that they hold during the Pacific Life Open, I've heard it's pretty fun. And you can watch world class tennis later in the day....