PDA

View Full Version : Tossing Drills

SlAyR
08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Are there any drills that can make ur toss more consistent because right now my toss is all over the place and it isn't really helping to my horrible serve?

Thx

Swissv2
08-27-2006, 04:02 PM
serve toss should go up and come down around 12 oclock (6-7 inches in front of your head) You can set something down where you want the ball to fall exactly and then do your regular tossing motion, then try to hit that object every time.

Supernatural_Serve
08-27-2006, 04:21 PM
With my racquet in my hand, I toss the ball 50 times in my living room everyday. There's a ceiling fan with blades just above my target peak toss. I toss right between the triangle formed by the blades and catch the ball. It takes a couple minutes. I have very few toss problems.

You can do this too or outside your house by standing next to it and tossing up to a measured height and like SwissV2 said, create a little target for it to bounce on.

Its just repetition and requires no effort yet pays off big to have a relaxed fluid reliable toss. I can't imagine a more effortless and time efficient thing to do to improve your tennis game, your serve, or any stroke for that matter.

Relax, control your breathing, hold the ball lightly, quiet the hands and wrist, release with all fingers simultaneously, and you will be tossing well in no time, keep the rotations of the ball to a minimum. A lot of my tosses rise with now rotation at all, they just float right up.

Instead of tossing the ball I think of it as "placing" the ball up where it belongs.

This kind of repitition will make it automatic on the court when your heart is pounding, your breathing is heavy, the wind is blowing, the sun is beating down on you, and its ad out, and the pressure is on. This is not a time for wild tosses to emerge.