PDA

View Full Version : SW Forehand Torque

thursdayisgod
08-27-2006, 03:09 PM
I have gotten in to what I beleive is a bad habit, since my fh has become dramatically less consitant as I have began to naturally do this more and more. I set up just fine with a SW FH, closed stance, however as I am following through with the shot I jerk my left arm back to Torque my body to get my right arm to follow through faster. The same problem continues all the way down to my legs and by the time the racquet is around my shoulder my right (back leg) is flailing around as I am more or less balancing on one leg. I'm not that well informed about the kinetic chain but I'd like to learn more about it, so if anyone has advice please let me know, my season begins Tuesday.

Also, does anyone know any stringers in Dubuque, Iowa? Thanks -Ricky

fx101
08-27-2006, 03:37 PM
I used to have the same problem when I hit semi-western. I hit with a windshield wiper stroke now, so its nearly imposible to produce that twisting motion, but I have a few tips on how you can get rid of it. Try closing your stance a bit, then train yourself (this is the hard part) to keep your left hand in front of your body as you set up and then catch the racket over your shoulder (or wherever you finish). After you get this down, teach your hand to drop slightly during your shot and not catch your racket. Also bend your knees and extend them at contact as this will slightly counter the centrifugal force from your "human top" forehand.

--DO NOT modify your forehand too much before your season though. Try making smaller changes such as changing your stance, before modifying how you bend your legs at contact.

FH2FH
08-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Actually, your stance could be too closed. It sounds like you're doing a "wind up" - taking the racquet further and further back until you have no control at ball impact. Try using a more open stance to see if you can USE your lower body power by moving your weight into the ball with that back leg instead of letting it fly ...which does nothing but balance an uncontrolled swing.

Also, are you "arm" swinging? Where is your elbow on the racquet arm at impact? If you're arm swinging, you're having to generate too much of the pace by a violent and unreliable swing from your arm/shoulder. The power you get from your legs must not break in any link of the chain or you'll overcompensate with your shoulders/arm like the increasing upper body "wind up" i described above.

thursdayisgod
08-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Typically my elbow is slightly behind the contact, with a slight comfortable bend to it. I think I am making too big of a wind up and should rely more on transfering momentum through the ball. Another question; what are the advantages and disadvantages of hitting with a slight or severe open stance? Thanks guys. -Ricky

FH2FH
08-28-2006, 12:45 PM
IF you're arm-ing the ball, you'll tire more quickly and have less power. Try getting used to keeping your elbow at a 135 degree angle and the elbow closer to your body as the racquet passes your hip. More of the big muscle groups can be used when the elbow is closer to the body so you'll have more power and control as the stroke develops. The wrist also plays a big role, but I'm not going there... [see also "double bend", laid back wrist, etc].

About the stance... an open stance takes less time to get in position and recover than with a closed stance, however I would say you need to be flexible (shoulders and hips still need to turn) and have a good kinetic chain to generate pace the more open it gets. Just focus on what feels comfortable to you and go from there.

Hope this helps!