PDA

View Full Version : What's the use of dribbling the ball?

jlui21
08-27-2006, 07:10 PM
I've seen people bounce the ball on the edge of their racquet as if they are dribbling. Does it serve any purpose like honing one's ability or is it simply a practice that people do to kill time while waiting for their coach/hitting partner/friend?

Additionally, what's the point of bouncing the ball on the face of one's racquet? Is it to find the sweet spot, practice racquet control, and/or help with face orientation, especially if one rotates the face of the racquet during this "drill?"

looseswing
08-27-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that the dribbling the ball drill on the side of the raquet is good for hand eye coordination. I am not sure about the use of the one with the face of the raquet because I would think that most people could do that quite easily, but perhaps it could be useful to younger children.

mikky
08-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I've seen people bounce the ball on the edge of their racquet as if they are dribbling. Does it serve any purpose like honing one's ability or is it simply a practice that people do to kill time while waiting for their coach/hitting partner/friend?

Additionally, what's the point of bouncing the ball on the face of one's racquet? Is it to find the sweet spot, practice racquet control, and/or help with face orientation, especially if one rotates the face of the racquet during this "drill?"

I bounce it so I can find the sweet spot kinda and so I have only one ball when i put one in my pockey b4 I serve

The Prodigy
08-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Before serving, bouncing a ball "supposedly" calms you down and relaxes yourself.

Tennismastery
08-27-2006, 07:57 PM

As a drill to help develop the feel for the continental grip, bouncing the ball down with the edge of the racquet is excellent practice. Holding the racquet a little loose and focusing on the ball develops the grip in addition to helping the fine motor skills of your hand/eye coordination.

Bouncing down or up on the strings can be used for many levels of players to gain feel for the continental grip or eastern forehand/backhand grip, depending on what grip and bounce you might be working on.

A side note to these drills: doing 100 or so bounces down and 100 up helps warm up the forearm and the muscles/tendons that are related to the small joints of the hand, wrist and elbow...greatly reducing the incidence of tennis elbow from not having these parts warmed up enough. It is a little like the progression of going from 'mini tennis' to full-court tennis. Bounces are what I call 'low-impact' warm up. Too many players get on the court and it is cold and they are not warmed up...and proceed to hit full court groundies. You can almost see the pain in the faces of these players as they try to warm up this way!

Just a few thoughts on this topic!

Ky0shiro
08-27-2006, 07:57 PM

I bounce the ball on the side of my frame cause I'm bored and waiting for someone.

Tennis_Monk
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I saw Tim Henman's video in BBC web site describing this exercise as something that improves hand eye coordination.

Kevo
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I tend to do this when I'm bored as well, but with almost anything there can be a higher purpose if you make one. You can certainly use these bounce drills for strength training if you do them long enough, or with specific control goal in mind. Try to bounce a ball on your strings, but only bounce it 3-4 inches off the racquet, no higher and no lower. Keep that up for 100 hundred bounces. Try bouncing the ball on the ground as fast as you can for 1 minute. Try bouncing off the strings into the air while holding your arm straight out in front of you with no elbow bend using only forearm rotation. These exercises will all add to your strength and control.

benperet
08-27-2006, 10:17 PM
I always do it to train my eye to watch the object, kind of like a reminder to watch the ball while serving. I usually just bounce the ball into my hand several times, get a feel for the bounce and the ball and get in the mindset to serve.

If it helps you great, if not don't worry about it. You could watch the women serve, too. What the heck is the point of their little hopity-skip nonsense that so many of them do right before they serve, that might be the key?... We could all learn to serve like Sharapova! (note the sarcasm)

Tim Set Match
08-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Before serving, bouncing a ball "supposedly" calms you down and relaxes yourself.

It does...! My serve is always better when I bounce it! And I use my racquet to bounce it to... so I dribble it.

TaintedWisdom
08-27-2006, 11:53 PM
LOL I can barely do this but another idea.

Being the science major and stuff, could bouncing the ball before you serve etc. actually make the atoms move a lot faster inside and have some effect.

For example: basketball player bounce the ball VERY QUICK, SHARP, AND hard when they have to do a free throw. They claim it gives them better control of the ball.

I know thats a bit out there but just something to think about hehe.

RiosTheGenius
08-27-2006, 11:59 PM
I'd say any kind of excerise that helps your coordination is good for you.
as spinning a basketball on your finger... does it make you a better player??... not really, but it's fun to do it (never got that one down , just for the record)

qui_65
08-28-2006, 12:27 AM
i dunno i found that it puts me in a good mindset to play...as apose to just walking on the court and hitting helps me focus and i bet it helps with hand eye...beats me something to do

Tennis_Monk
08-28-2006, 05:03 AM

Being the science major and stuff, could bouncing the ball before you serve etc. actually make the atoms move a lot faster inside and have some effect.

For example: basketball player bounce the ball VERY QUICK, SHARP, AND hard when they have to do a free throw. They claim it gives them better control of the ball.

Thats funny. How did you come up with that?

dave333
08-28-2006, 06:02 AM
i used to walk and dribble the ball on the face w/ a continental grip to get used to the continental grip on serve.

fx101
08-28-2006, 10:13 AM

And people like this are electing our presidents.......

ramseszerg
08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Wouldn't it be a bad idea to dribble with your racquet before serving since it will telegraph to your opponent if you have a continental or a kick serve grip?

j3d0
08-28-2006, 01:42 PM
I think it helps you calm down during your serve.

TaintedWisdom
08-28-2006, 10:55 PM
And people like this are electing our presidents.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/wowanarchy/Guild/6thsense.jpg
BTW it sounds like you were trying to be funny in which case, good one. :)
If you were being serious, you got a long way to go.(like maybe finding sense in humor in things lol)
and btw I voted for algore, and then kerry. and I think they werent the best choice either but anything is better than bush. (lets not make this a political thread please, cause politics and balls dont mix unless we talking about Bill clinton heheh)

Tim Set Match
08-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Wouldn't it be a bad idea to dribble with your racquet before serving since it will telegraph to your opponent if you have a continental or a kick serve grip?

True, which is why I dribble with a western grip and then switch to my serve grip.

Tim Set Match
08-29-2006, 01:17 PM

When you bounce the ball it sqeezes against the surface which it bounce on. This will lessen the volume of the ball. Less volume is equal to an increase in the frequency at which the gas molecules inside the ball bounce against each other. This leads to an increase in pressure, and also a small increase in the temperature of the gas molecules.

The increase and decrease in pressure that accompanies a quickly bouncing ball could rattle up the gas molecules inside it. Will it create a noticable difference? I don't know!

Btw, bouncing a ball will let one figure out the degree to which a ball is pressurized. I think this is why pros sometimes bounce balls and throw them back to the ball boy or girl right before serving.

TaintedWisdom
08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
When you bounce the ball it sqeezes against the surface which it bounce on. This will lessen the volume of the ball. Less volume is equal to an increase in the frequency at which the gas molecules inside the ball bounce against each other. This leads to an increase in pressure, and also a small increase in the temperature of the gas molecules.

The increase and decrease in pressure that accompanies a quickly bouncing ball could rattle up the gas molecules inside it. Will it create a noticable difference? I don't know!

Btw, bouncing a ball will let one figure out the degree to which a ball is pressurized. I think this is why pros sometimes bounce balls and throw them back to the ball boy or girl right before serving.

Couldn't agree more.
Which is why I imagine fx101 was joking (if you get what I mean lol).