PDA

View Full Version : Serve Placement Drills?

KLH
08-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Does anyone know a good drill for practicing placement on the serve? I have just recently started playing tennis. I use a flat serve and need to hone my placement skills. I'm doing pretty well at getting the ball in the box with some pace but I generally have no idea where exactly it's going to go! Would love to be able to hit down the line, out wide or into my opponent's body at will. Any advice?

Thanks,
Karen

ceejay
08-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Are you aiming at the lines when you serve? I sometimes like to put ball tins down on the spots where I'm aiming and try to knock them over.... try being the key word.

thursdayisgod
08-28-2006, 08:16 AM
I agree, most coaches I have worked with put done cones/cans/cups/etc. at the different locations in the service box. Down the line, Body, Outside corner, and WAAAY Outside angel. Don't use too many targets, the goal is more so accuracy not just to knock down any target, the more targets the more likely you'll accidently hit a target that you weren't actually aiming at.

skuludo
08-29-2006, 03:58 AM
The ball will go in the direction you push your racket. Just try to line up your push to your target and hit through. That is how you aim your serve.

It is as simple as rolling the ball to the direction you want it to go.

A factor that may cause your racket to not hit the ball in the intended direction is being off balance. In this case you accidently swing and push the ball to another spot, thus missing your target.
Follow the rolling ball concept and you should be fine.

Also one of Netown's laws applies to controling the direction of a flat serve. I don't remember which one, but refer to the rolling ball concept.

I repeat refer to the rolling ball concept.

shindemac
08-29-2006, 05:33 AM
The best drill is to just put 3 cans or whatever in the 3 locations you indicated. You can put 2 more cans for wide serves. I do this drill, but usually without the cans.