PDA

View Full Version : How do you relax during a match? I have heard

TREX
08-28-2006, 04:52 PM
people talk about holding a potato chip in your mouth and never breaking it. That is how relaxed you should be. I am usually grinding. working with my grip and teeth clinced. Any ideas?

Supernatural_Serve
08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Slow deep breathing, stretching, massaging some part of my legs to keep them loose, ignoring my opponent, and reviewing my game plan mentally focusing on what is working are the usual items. Also, I play a very fixed serve and return game. I run "plays" from a play book, and tend to stick with them for the first 2 or 3 strokes of each point before settling into playing "directionals". It gives me something to focus on and I remain relaxed by being more on autopilot.

I also carry or hold my racquet in my other hand a lot. It allows my right arm to relax instead of always "holding" something.

Mahboob Khan
08-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Be sharp with your eyes, intense with your feet, cool in your head, relax with your grip and mouth! In pressure situations think about EMF (eyes, mind, feet).

looseswing
08-28-2006, 05:35 PM
I find that slowing play down helps me remain calm in tense matches, so just try walking a little slower to give you more time to go over your game plan.

will1087
08-28-2006, 06:44 PM
sing to yourself.

Works for me :D.

goober
08-28-2006, 06:47 PM
sing to yourself.

Works for me :D.

What do you sing?

man i feel like a woman Shania Twain :D

zhan
08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
The trick from Entourage Episode 33...
Run to the bathroom and give your you know what a good tug job... and it relaxes all

fx101
08-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Eat a potato chip :lol:

Tim Tennis
08-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi Trex, that is a tough question. So how did you relax and stay cool when you pitched? Talk about some pressure situations. There might be some transferability.

Best regards,

Ed

chess9
08-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Why are you uptight?

Are you worried about losing?

Why?

What country's people will be freed from the grip of a tryrannical ruler if you win? Which cancers will be cured if you win?

Never take yourself so seriously that a mere tennis match will cause you grief.

When you and your Marine squad are face to face with 20 guys who want to slit your throat, well, then you can worry. :)

Relax and enjoy the game. It's supposed to be FUN.

-Robert

will1087
08-29-2006, 10:56 AM
What do you sing?

man i feel like a woman Shania Twain :D

Maybe some Bon Jovi to pump myself up or some Beetles to calm myself down ;) .

AngeloDS
08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
How do I relax? I focus on one thing and solely focus on it. For me, I focus on how the ball spins in the air; it looks like the ball is in slow motion for me. I'm able to discern the spin and see the lines of the ball well.

To really be able to relax you need to have motions engrained into your muscle memory and be able to hit shots confidently and consistently. Once you've put in a lot of hours of practice & drilling, when you focus on one thing -- all that work you put in will come naturally -- your body will do the motions automatically.

MasterTS
08-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Think to yourself that someone kidnapped your girlfriend and you have to win this match because her life depends on it!

shrakkie
08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
talk to ur gf,but dont let her know its just b4 a match otherwise she will probs be trying to help u 'focus'.just talk to her about everyday things and ul loosen up and relax.then go for ur match.

TREX
08-29-2006, 08:34 PM
this year. I apprecite all the tips. The deep breath I knew from other sports. Holding the racquet in th off hand is a big help. I think lack of pracvtice and court time has made me not be able to relax to some extent.

One thing that is kinda weird is playin women and dinkers I seem to prepare the racquet a bit too early and have to wait on the shot. Had a practice match tonight and was doing better.

Tim, Pitching, Baseball and Softball were no problem. Played so much I was relaxed. Proabably forgot how to relax over the years!!!