PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

Noveson
08-28-2006, 09:02 PM
As the title says I have two questions for which I hope you have answers. First of I've noticed that watching pros serve some finish with their wrist pronated and their serving arm on the same side of the body it started on. I have a definite picture in my mind and hope that I'm describing it right. Other times they finish across their body and below their other arm. Does this relate to the type of serve? If so which follow-through is supposed to go with which serve?

My second question is about two handed backhands. I find myself with my non-dominate hand almost on my other hand, not on the upper part of the grip. When I noticed I tried doing it with my hand up on the handle and felt like I was using my other arm to do most of the work. When I told my coach that he said maybe I should try a one hander, I tried but really don't like the feel. Would moving my hand up make a big difference? Or should I just leave it how it is. I know it's a pretty big block of text, but thanks for your replys:)

Andres
08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
On the same side: Usually 2nd serves. Topspin or kickers
Across the body: First serves, slices or flat ;)

Noveson
08-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks, some more help? At least I can refer to that to see whether or not I have the right swing path.

Duzza
08-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Just so you know you stole my thread title :P
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=116604

Noveson
08-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Haha sorry not intentional, I saw it a few minutes ago.

Noveson
08-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Any other thoughts?

thursdayisgod
08-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Well you basically answered your 2nd question and so did your coach, I don't know what kind of a response you're looking for. No one here has seen you hit a back hand however your coach has, so you should try a 1HB for a couple of sessions, and if you don't like it you can always go back to two. I don't know of anyone having trouble controling their non-dominant hand. I'm assuming you're grip is similiar to a golf grip?

Noveson
08-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Firstly I said right there that I tried the one hander, and didn't like it. It's not controlling the non dominant hand that's the problem, It's that putting that hand up on the grip above my other one feels akward, and makes me hit with my right arm(I'm a lefty). I was wondering whether or not I should be using my right arm to provide the power, or I should stick to how I do it.

skuludo
08-30-2006, 07:27 PM
ZPTennis finishes his serve the same way for kick and flat.

Kick Serve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQRW-U70Lqk

First Serve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gLYogcZIE

Noveson
08-30-2006, 08:08 PM
No his kick he ends on the same side, look at his second kick serve. One the first one he just pulled his arm over after the serve was done.

socrates2007
08-30-2006, 10:06 PM
The non-dominant hand on the two-handed backhand should be doing a lot of work. When I was learning to hit a two-hander my coach had me hit left handed forehands (I'm a righty).

Noveson
08-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks that helps.