PDA

View Full Version : When to stiffen your wrists?

ATXtennisaddict
08-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Today my friend to me to stiffen my wrists when I volley.

What about forehand/backhands? Is there a point you need to stiffen the wrists? I know that if I keep wristing shots, my wrists start to hurt.

snoflewis
08-28-2006, 11:11 PM
search something along the lines of "how tightly do i grip the racket" that should answer your question because the tighter you hold your racket, the firmer your wrist and the other way around.

AngeloDS
08-29-2006, 02:39 AM
Ideally, you want a firm wrist upon contact when the ball hits the strings. The wrist starts off loose & laid, upon contact the wrist is firm and then it becomes loose. After the firm part, the wrist goes loose again and naturally straightens out.

It takes good timing to get it down and you'll know when you don't hit it right.

Bungalo Bill
08-29-2006, 07:29 AM

What about forehand/backhands? Is there a point you need to stiffen the wrists? I know that if I keep wristing shots, my wrists start to hurt.

I have a fixed wrist position and a somewhat firm wrist to absrob the blow and control the racquet head. My hands though are somewhat soft. With a tight grip people tend to turn up their wrists at contact.

Soft hands, fixed wrist.

TylerWeekes
08-29-2006, 03:10 PM

Certainly a fixed wrist through the hitting zone is extremely important and relevant to ball control. Having a tight grip to try to keep the wrist fixed though, will cause general tightness of the arm and cause the fourth link of the kinetic chain (the upper arm) to slow, resulting in loss of racket head speed. So Bungalow Bill is quite accurate to say soft hands, fixed wrist.

“Wristing” shots is not in your best interest unless you are desiring an arm injury, or you are in an emergency situation on the court that prevents you from taking a standard swing at the ball.

-Tyler