PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with forehand

CashDudeHomie
08-29-2006, 01:50 AM
I'm always hitting my forehand long. I get to where I just barely swing and the ball lands too short and gets crushed at me. I want to just forget the forehand I know and start over. Can someone lay out the basics for me to get a nice open-stance topspin forehand. Like foot placement, how far in front to contact the ball, follow through, finish. I'm just so frusterated I almost want to quit, if someone can give any suggestions, I'll go practice tomorrow.

Duzza
08-29-2006, 02:22 AM
What standard are you at now? When I'm playing bad forehands i emphasize the laid back wrist when following through, and then become more confident. Foot placement, well on an open stance i have my knees kind of bending to the rightward direction, not too far apart but stable. I hit the ball only a little bit in front of my body, say 20-30 cm. Follow through is a must, even when going for less, remember to follow through correctly.

AngeloDS
08-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Don't think too much about it; just try to see the lines on the tennis ball and don't even look up on the court after you hit your shot. Really try to focus on the tennis ball; try to see how the ball is spinning and the lines of the ball as it spins.

When you try to think about your shots in such a way when you go out there and hit. It's not going to be pretty and your mind isn't focused too well. Plus, your body just isn't as loose as it could be.

Focus should be more on topspin, and to generate topspin you need to swing faster. Going from a low to high motion quickly = key to topspin and keeping a lot of balls in.

CashDudeHomie
08-29-2006, 02:38 AM
Are you guys using any kind of lead tape to help with your swing? I've never used this stuff but saw it mentioned in another thread.

Duzza, I've been playing a year and a half, but I've been getting worse lately :-(

e.martin
08-29-2006, 09:35 PM
If you're hitting long, your racquet face might be open at ball contact.

You have to swing from low to high such that the racquet face is flat at contact. Which makes the grip crucial. Then you finish the stroke "pretty", i.e., all the way through (touch chin to shoulder).

The Tom Avery videos have helped me quite a bit. You might want to check them out. They are available on TotalVid.com, which has a free month trial, and $9.95/month thereafter. Or maybe your local library has them.

It helps to have a visual image in your mind of proper form, so the videos are a big help.

skuludo
08-29-2006, 10:10 PM
When I hit my 2 handed backhand, occasionaly the racket face is open. The balls still land in. That includes forehand side, but those end up as short balls.

armand
08-29-2006, 10:14 PM
My forehand was getting worse lately and I think one of the reason was because my stance was becoming more and more open. Not good.

GhostLigre
08-30-2006, 12:34 AM
It's generally better to hit long than to hit short. Once you learn to put more topspin into the ball, you'll be able to get the balls in and deep. Just be sure to have that low-to-high swing to generate topspin, follow through forward and over your shoulder or somewhere high. Be sure not to follow through on top of the ball as it causes your ball to drop quickly and land short. Follow through forward to give your shot more depth and in a low to high swing for more topspin and more margin for error. Also with an open stance, don't forget to rotate your hips and shoulders as you go through your swing.

travlerajm
08-30-2006, 01:02 AM
My forehand was getting worse lately and I think one of the reason was because my stance was becoming more and more open. Not good.

This happens to most of us when we get tired. We get lazy and forget to step into the shot, making it more difficult to time.

I think many people see pros hitting with open stance forehands and think that's how they should hit. But in reality, most people will hit much better forehends if they step foreward toward the target every time.

Owfred
08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
What is the best way to close the racquet face on contact besides grip change?