PDA

View Full Version : What are your tricks to loosen up when things go wrong in a match?

remyb2
08-29-2006, 08:46 AM
You probably use a combination of those things to reduce stress but what is the most effective one?

I personally sometimes sing a song, take more time to serve, tell myself to stick to my game plan and go to my “happy place”. I find the “happy place” works best when things are tough and stressful. Like telling myself that my life doesn’t depend on the outcome of the match, that I’m playing to learn and get better and not to prove myself to someone (ego sometimes get pretty heavy). Sometimes I’ll just think about the Friday night friend gathering/drinking to loosen up ;-)

ramseszerg
08-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I am a fan of the slow down a losing game, and speed up a winning game method. Also, I relax and get the balls back in play casually to find my rhythm.

MasterTS
08-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Going berzerk always helps. I bring some few shots of epinephrine and just shot each thigh up. Then I break two racquets, take the point penality, and continue play. It seems to help.

FH2FH
08-29-2006, 10:00 AM
How wrong, lol? That depends. If I'm still in the match, usually I slow down, take my time, and just try to rally until balls are going in. If nothing is working, I just write it off as a bad day and either minimize the damage or just go for everything so I can get off the court.

brucie
08-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Going berzerk always helps. I bring some few shots of epinephrine and just shot each thigh up. Then I break two racquets, take the point penality, and continue play. It seems to help.
yeah i gess this works...

MasterTS
08-29-2006, 01:21 PM
yeah i gess this works...

Last weekend I was in a tournament playing a match and the guy adjacent to my court went berzerk... I think they were playing 5.5s.. Anyway he took his racquet and started hitting it on a pole.. broke it into several pieces.. The USTA official came over and told him to calm down or he would be ejected.. then gave him a game penality... Then the USTA official stood there to watch the rest of the match. The guy started serving underhand doing a baby serve and the opponent would crush these serves. The guy just threw away his game.. Then I looked at the score it was 5-2 3rd set and that's when he started playing again.. lol what an idiot.

squints
08-29-2006, 01:28 PM

lol

skuludo
08-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Did the berserker win?

TennsDog
08-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I voted for singing, talking, hitting harder, and playing safe. The first thing I usually do is talk to myself, usually about moving my feet. The next thing is playing it safe and just trying to rally more and get some rhythm on my strokes. If neither of those work, I just let loose, stop thinking, and hit the damn ball, which usually equates to hitting it harder. This works particularly well on my serve. I am one of those players who can use anger to serve better, which can be a good thing. Also, I may sometimes sing a song that I really like to try to get back in the state of mind I was when I heard it. It may or may not help, but at least I got to hear a good song.