PDA

View Full Version : roddick fh

redtennis55
08-29-2006, 07:52 AM
I have accidentally been popping my leg up in my forehand, just like Roddick does in some of his forehands. It is my right leg that pops up and I think that I am hitting off of my back leg. This is for my open stance forehand. Do you guys have any ways to stop this? Anything I can focus on to stop this?

skuludo
08-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Sit down on a chair and hit your forehand. After that stand up and get on your knees to hit a forehand.

Keep your self grounded and your legs will not fly up.

Do you not know how to control your body?

redtennis55
08-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah but it accidently got worked into my muscle memory and it is very hard to stop

skuludo
08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
If you are really desparate put some weight on your right foot. Put down a 50lbs dumb bell slide your foot under the handle. Other things you could use is a bag of rice. Just put somthing heavy on your foot and drop feed the ball to your self and hit the ball.

counterfeit25
08-31-2006, 08:33 AM
I have accidentally been popping my leg up in my forehand, just like Roddick does in some of his forehands. It is my right leg that pops up and I think that I am hitting off of my back leg. This is for my open stance forehand. Do you guys have any ways to stop this? Anything I can focus on to stop this?

When you shift your weight from the back leg to the front leg over a long distance, your right leg kicks up.

When Roddick wants to hit a flat & hard shot (especially when making contact way out in front), most of his weight is on the right leg when he coils. When he uncoils to hit the ball, his weight moves forward a lot (including his upper body), that's why his right leg kicks back/up after he lands on his left leg (probably naturally for balance, among other things).

So, I don't think there's anything wrong with kicking up the right leg after contact.

my .02

If someone has a good counter-argument, please share, coz I do this a lot when I hit full power on short balls. I also did this a lot when I was *trying* to copy the Roddick forehand a few months ago =)