PDA

View Full Version : Pro shop in Oregon?

Noveson
08-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I've been to one in portland, that's it. Anybody know any nice ones. Hopefully near NE Oregon?

qwertypower
08-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I only know about courtside in eugene and beaverton

BigServer1
08-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Courtside in Beaverton, Player's Racquet Shop in Beaverton. By NE, do you mean NE Portland? Or just NE Oregon in general?

Noveson
08-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Well I live in NE Oregon, but I go to Portland a lot, my sis goes to OSU, and I have friends there.

kchau
08-31-2006, 12:19 AM
players is a nice place.

Noveson
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
I was at players a few days ago, only thing is I wish they had more shoes.

LuckyR
09-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Courtside in Beaverton, Player's Racquet Shop in Beaverton. By NE, do you mean NE Portland? Or just NE Oregon in general?

The two are within 2 miles of each other. Courtside has better service and less "snoot factor".

diredesire
09-24-2006, 03:36 PM
The two are within 2 miles of each other. Courtside has better service and less "snoot factor".

Agree, Players openly advertises price matching, but won't even MATCH prices, they'll only meet it and tack on extra percentages for shipping and handling. I once asked to price match, and they wouldn't honor it whatsoever. I was ~16 at the time, and I never had a problem when with an adult. They don't seem to take younger customers seriously. :rolleyes:

carrwash13
09-24-2006, 08:53 PM
COURTSIDE is way better than player's. Their prices on rackets are way cheaper and their customer service is great. The one in the beaverton area is where I usually go even though I live in vancouver

LuckyR
09-28-2006, 12:46 PM
COURTSIDE is way better than player's. Their prices on rackets are way cheaper and their customer service is great. The one in the beaverton area is where I usually go even though I live in vancouver

^^^ What he said.

Z-Man
10-01-2006, 06:14 PM
When I was in Portland two years ago, I went to an amazing Adidas store. No racquets, but tons of great tennis clothes. I think it was a kind of outlet/manufacturers store.

carrwash13
10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
When I was in Portland two years ago, I went to an amazing Adidas store. No racquets, but tons of great tennis clothes. I think it was a kind of outlet/manufacturers store.

Thats the Adidas Store on Martin Luther King Blvd in Portland. They have alot of stuff like tennis shoes but its all regular prices. The nike outlet is right down the street also.

Jack the Hack
10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
I grew up in Eugene and knew the two guys that started Courtside from the time it first opened. If you want to read the story of how Courtside began, they have an article posted in the About Us section of their website. Jim Hubbard was one of the best small business owners that I've ever met. As far as customer service went, I was constantly amazed by his memory... not only did he remember everybody's name, but he also seemed to remember details like what racquet they used, their preferred string, what tournaments they were playing, etc. I was a high school player at the time, but I always felt like he took me seriously when I came into the shop - even if I hadn't been there for several months. Anyway, from what I understand, his son Jake runs the business now and works almost exclusively out of their flagship store in Beaverton. Last time I was down in that area, I stopped by the store to see how things were going and the place looked nice. Jake even happened to be there and we got to shoot the bull a little regarding old times.

I've also been to Players multiple times, both in Beaverton and their store on Sandy Blvd in east Portland. I've gotten some amazing deals on "out of season" Nike gear there (even better than at the Nike Factory Outlets), and both owners seem nice. However, as others have mentioned, their selection is limited and the pricing is not always as good as you can find at Courtside or TW. In fact, I was there about a week ago and asked about when they were going to get a demo of the Yonex RDS001. Their sales guy had no idea what I was talking about and said "you're the first person that has asked us about that frame, so it can't be very popular." I thought that was a pretty surprising answer considering that several professional players are supposedly using that frame and I've seen many local players using it in tournaments this summer. However, I don't hold that against that sales guy... he's the same person that got me a great deal on a tennis shirt and a pair of Breathe Free IIs a few months ago, so I can't complain.

Anyway, as far as my customer loyalty goes, I shop multiple places and go where they give me the best prices. That might be one of the local shops this week, or TW the next. I do my own stringing, so most of my shopping of retail stores is to demo a racquet or find a deal on shoes or clothing. If every place has the same item at the same price, I will then go with whoever gives the best service.

To the OP question, I do not know of any specialty shops over in Astoria, Lincoln City, Corvallis, or any of those other areas in NE Oregon. Courtside used to have a store in Salem, but that's history. Best bet might be pro shops in some of the tennis clubs... but in reality, none of those will have the selection you can get at the stores in Portland or online.

Jack the Hack
10-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Thats the Adidas Store on Martin Luther King Blvd in Portland. They have alot of stuff like tennis shoes but its all regular prices. The nike outlet is right down the street also.

It also could have been the Adidas outlet stores in Troutdale and Woodburn, but you are probably right about it being the store on MLK, which is more of a showcase spot with the latest gear (considering the Adidas US headquarters are here in Portland also). I've never seen any good deals there, but have found plenty at the Nike Factory Outlets.

Noveson
10-09-2006, 08:55 PM
The Adidas store in troutdale and woodburn are horrible, as far as tennis go. They both have maybe a rack of shorts and shirts and thats it. The Nike at woodburn is okay, not much for tennis, but I got Vapor S2s for $50 over there.

I live around the Pendleton area which is like 5 hours away from Portland. The only real players shop I've been to is Players(sandy blvd one) which seemed pretty nice to me, but I of course haven't seen any others.

Jack the Hack
10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
The Adidas store in troutdale and woodburn are horrible, as far as tennis go. They both have maybe a rack of shorts and shirts and thats it. The Nike at woodburn is okay, not much for tennis, but I got Vapor S2s for $50 over there.

I live around the Pendleton area which is like 5 hours away from Portland. The only real players shop I've been to is Players(sandy blvd one) which seemed pretty nice to me, but I of course haven't seen any others.

Duh... you said NE Oregon... for some reason my brain saw it and thought northwest.

I've never been to anything over on your side of the state other than driving through. I imagine there might be some sort of small pro shop in that club that is over by Hood River (never been to it, but there are a bunch of good players from there). Bend has a nice pro shop (used to be a Courtside but now is owned by someone else... TopSpin Tennis or something like that), but that probably isn't any closer than the shops in Portland.

I can concur with your statements about the Adidas outlets. I've only seen good tennis gear there on a few occassions. I spend much more time checking out the Nike factory outlet on MLK. They are hit and miss as far as tennis stuff, but I have had some good deals there this year. Around May or June, they had a whole bunch of tennis shirts and shorts for about $20 right in the main section of the store (in the front where you walk in). I also found some Breathe Free IIIs there for $49 on the back wall. Last year, the best deal I found was at the Nike factory store in Bend where they were selling Federer's Nike shirts for $14! I couldn't believe it... they were the same one's he was wearing at the time, but they were on the "clearance" rack! Also, if you know someone and can get in, the Nike employee store carries quite a bit of tennis clothing and shoes as well at about 50% off. I've heard that Nike factory outlets in other parts of the country have tennis gear just about year round, but it's still seasonal in the PNW.

Noveson
10-13-2006, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=Jack the Hack]Duh... you said NE Oregon... for some reason my brain saw it and thought northwest.

I've never been to anything over on your side of the state other than driving through. I imagine there might be some sort of small pro shop in that club that is over by Hood River (never been to it, but there are a bunch of good players from there). Bend has a nice pro shop (used to be a Courtside but now is owned by someone else... TopSpin Tennis or something like that), but that probably isn't any closer than the shops in Portland.

QUOTE]

Ahh...I forgot about TopSpin. I played for a while in Bend, and took some demos from Topspin. Okay selection of racquets, and you can demo free. But almost no shoes, apparrell(well good apparell), or bags. I thought players was nicer.