PDA

View Full Version : For the 1HBH players

vkartikv
08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Have you ever considered switching to 2 hands to deal with obvious issues?

ZPTennis
08-29-2006, 05:01 PM
After watching Pavel play Agassi last night, i think hes proven that all types of shots can be handled with a one hander.

His backhand was incredible.

lolsmash
08-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I honestly tried to switch to two hands, it sucked soo bad. but i kept with my one hander and its getting better and easier to pull off. so stick to it and itll be better in the long run.

Freedom
08-29-2006, 05:27 PM
I recently switched from 2 hands. I briefly considered going back. But I'm staying with one.

goober
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM
I have considered it especially after I got some tennis elbow last year. But ultimately I didn't have the time or will to make such a huge change in my game when I only play a couple times a week. Right now I am just concentrating on making my BH not a liability and somewhat of a threat.

TennsDog
08-29-2006, 05:41 PM
I voted yes for the poll. Here's why:
I was a self-taught player for about 5 years before entering high school. My one-hander wasn't very good so my coach told me to use two hands. I did and it was an instant improvement. When I say "instant," I mean he said to use two hands and I was hitting solid shots after about 3 shots and it was already better than my one-hander. I loved it, but I always felt more like a natural one-hander and felt more comfortable with it, so I made serveral attempts to switch back in the past 4 years. Finally, something clicked for me and my one-hander was working great for me again. I rallied with someone for about 45 mins and never missed a single backhand. So now I'm back to using one hand. I do like the two-hander and still use it for some deep and heavy shots and some service returns, but that is purely off of instinct rather than conscious decision.

Kevo
08-29-2006, 06:06 PM
It just doesn't matter, pick one and practice.

TennsDog
08-29-2006, 06:09 PM
It just doesn't matter, pick one and practice.
2/3 of the posts and polls started here on the forum don't really matter. The original post starts out of curiosity and some very interesting points can come up. Even if not, it allows for discussion and sharing of ideas.

Hondasteve
08-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Issues? Like what? Just because it is a harder stroke to master does not mean that no one should use it. I think that there are pros and cons to both the 2HBH and the 1HBH.

Like Kevo said, pick one and master it. I prefer the one hander, but that does not mean that it is the right stroke for everyone.

I think that the one handers of Federer, Pavel, Sampras, and Baghdatis all prove that it is still a modernly viable stroke when executed correctly.

ShooterMcMarco
08-29-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm 5'5" and I use a 1hbh, never thought of switching to a twohander.

fx101
08-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I have, and it worked for me because my shots possess more stability and pace due to the added hand. Nevertheless I use a 1-hander whenever I slice, and whenever I need an extreme angle.

ucd_ace
08-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Switching to a two-hander? Never. There was a short span where I hit certain shots with two hands and I can hit it if I feel like it. But my one-handed backhand is more or lessa amazing and I've fixed the holes that I had in it back then.

tennis_hand
08-29-2006, 07:56 PM
I am from 2h to 1h. Though 2h does give me more stability, i just could not get it right and always hit late and wide. I decided to stay with 1h and i think it serves me right because my left arm and hand is simply not well developed.

On service returns, I sometimes use 2h to block back. It feels much better than 1h in this situation.

armand
08-29-2006, 08:22 PM
When I first started, I tried using 2 hands, but I just stank. My left limb just stinks. Only option was 1 hander.

It took a little time, but I remember my muscles or something, just came alive and it goes from being a really hard shot to do, to being a shot even more natural than a forehand.

siber222000
08-29-2006, 08:22 PM
i switched back to 2h..... i hate the timing u need for one handed backhand

Big Fed
08-29-2006, 08:40 PM
I accidently voted yes. 2 handed backhand is for squares like Rafa (lol)

AngeloDS
08-29-2006, 08:49 PM
I started off with a one handed slice and a two handed forehand. I stuck with the slice until I had enough strength to start hitting a one handed backhand.

I actually injured my knee trying to learn the two handed backhand; my knee just gave out oddly. I had to take a few months off because my PCL was partially torn and my miniscus was damaged.

I'd like to learn the two handed backhand is it would probably help me because of my height. I find a lot if not every ball coming to shoulder or head height. Forced to slice or take the ball off the bounce. Both really put me in a bad position.

But I'll have to stick with a one handed backhand for my knees.

kidoh1
08-29-2006, 09:00 PM
I voted yes. However, everytime I try to learn a 2h, I always go back to the 1h. It just feels more natural. Now I've given up learning the 2h and now my 1h is more consistent than ever. I'm even returning serves (not slicing) with it. But as other people have said, go w/ whatever feels best and run w/ it. Each has its pros and cons but neither outweigh the other.

MasterTS
08-29-2006, 09:04 PM
I said this once and I'll say it again!!!

Tennis is about style!!!

One handers simply look cooler, so stick with it. You want to be cool, dont you?

vkartikv
08-29-2006, 09:26 PM
I posted the poll to see if any old school guys were considering chaging styles. What are the issues with a 1HBH? Well, thats why I said the obvious reasons, but since it is not so obvious to some, high bouncing balls - that's the reason. I want to know if people work around it or take what seems to be the easy way out and use two hands instead. I think its interesting to know how people react to such situations. I started out with a 1HBH, still have one and would never change.

kidoh1
08-29-2006, 09:30 PM

Tennis is about style!!!

One handers simply look cooler, so stick with it. You want to be cool, dont you?

Ok, this was the real reason why I have one. LOL!!!

I posted the poll to see if any old school guys were considering chaging styles. What are the issues with a 1HBH? Well, thats why I said the obvious reasons, but since it is not so obvious to some, high bouncing balls - that's the reason. I want to know if people work around it or take what seems to be the easy way out and use two hands instead. I think its interesting to know how people react to such situations. I started out with a 1HBH, still have one and would never change.

With the high balls, I'll usually slice it deep to the weaker side, run around and hit a forehand, or take it early. I'd rather adjust my 1h than learn a new stroke. Plus, 2h feels weird to me.

ShooterMcMarco
08-29-2006, 10:10 PM

Tennis is about style!!!

lol, I'd rather get bageled using a 1 hander than get bageled using a two hander just for aesthetic reasons :)

Zets147
08-29-2006, 10:15 PM
I've recently thought about using both. My tennis coach uses both (I think his 2h is better though). I have been using 1h bh extensively (2 1/2 yrs), but learning how to use both sounds like a good idea also. I have to actually have a pratice session with 2h only one of these days haha.

I know people will say "why don't you practice only one and get that to be great first", my reply to that would be "because learning different things is fun too!"

Me encanta. :mrgreen:

tennisfanatic
08-30-2006, 12:29 AM
i Used both. Though my 1handed backhand is a little weak.

AngeloDS
08-30-2006, 12:41 AM

Tennis is about style!!!

lol -_- some people fail MISERABLY at the one handed backhand. I don't know how it looks in their head... but a lot of people I've seen who hit one handed backhands it's really ugly :s. So far from cool -_-.

Like this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlEoxhlyvuM "done the right way." Yeah right :\ *throws up*.

garbage
08-30-2006, 01:02 AM
lol -_- some people fail MISERABLY at the one handed backhand. I don't know how it looks in their head... but a lot of people I've seen who hit one handed backhands it's really ugly :s. So far from cool -_-.

Like this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlEoxhlyvuM "done the right way." Yeah right :\ *throws up*.

Care to post a video of your one handed backhand?

ta11geese3
08-30-2006, 01:25 AM
That's an ugly backhand?

dave333
08-30-2006, 06:02 AM
i want to switch to the 1bh. it feels pretty natural but i need to get timing down.

oscar_2424
08-30-2006, 06:05 AM
Have you ever considered switching to 2 hands to deal with obvious issues?
why?

zhan
08-30-2006, 06:16 AM
I accidently voted yes. 2 handed backhand is for squares like Rafa (lol)

Agassi uses 2hbh too
-.-
and so does more than half of the field!

Supernatural_Serve
08-30-2006, 06:25 AM
I've never once even out of curiosity hit a 2hbh ever.

I should do that the next time I am on the court just so that I can say to myself, "that sucked"

j3d0
08-30-2006, 08:18 AM
1 hand is hot.

Bungalo Bill
08-30-2006, 09:50 AM
i switched back to 2h..... i hate the timing u need for one handed backhand

All twohanders (I say all loosely) need to master the slice and volley.

oldguysrule
08-30-2006, 11:30 AM

I am a one-hander that has always admired the two-hander. When I got some tennis elbow last year I started hitting 2hbh. I find it is an easier stroke, but not quite as versatile. Now, I feel like I have the best of both worlds. 2hbh: if I get hard serves, hard flat groundstrokes, high bouncing balls, or hitting topspin lob (don't ask me why), and the occasional rally ball. 1hbh: slice, approach shots, most rally balls, topspin angles, drop shot. I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but it is fun...

Nickswh
08-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Issues? Like what? Just because it is a harder stroke to master does not mean that no one should use it. I think that there are pros and cons to both the 2HBH and the 1HBH.

Like Kevo said, pick one and master it. I prefer the one hander, but that does not mean that it is the right stroke for everyone.

I think that the one handers of Federer, Pavel, Sampras, and Baghdatis all prove that it is still a modernly viable stroke when executed correctly.

baghdatis?? since he definitely has a one hander... you sounded good until you said that. hahahahahhahahaha

MasterTS
08-30-2006, 11:50 AM
baghdatis?? since he definitely has a one hander... you sounded good until you said that. hahahahahhahahaha

LOL funny..

Baggy has a nice 2hbackhand DTL... Caught Roddick flat footed quite a few times when he hit 60+ winners against Andy earlier this year.

Kathy
08-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I considered switching briefly once. I have a big forehand and am so good at getting mostly forehands that my backhand occassionally goes off. When that happens I practice two-handed for a day or two. Then when I go back to hitting one-handed, my backhand is back. Why, I really don't know.

Kathy K
www.operationdoubles.com

ceejay
08-30-2006, 12:56 PM
I actually started out life as a 2-hander. However, I had bad technique and I managed to injure my shoulder stretching for a ball with 2 hands. Afterwards decided 1 hand was the way to go. I occasionally play with 2 hands for a while when practicing just to compare. It just feels weird now though.

When it comes down to it though, its definately all about looking cool :cool:

kevhen
08-30-2006, 01:01 PM
What is wrong at becoming good at both? I saw Agassi make some defensive stabs to get the ball back using the one hand backhand but he uses 2 hands when in control of the point. That is how I play as well, one hand when stretched and 2 hands when dictating. Learn how to hit both ways and you are on your way to becoming a better tennis player.

es-0
08-30-2006, 01:15 PM
its fairly odd for me, my 1BH is so much better then my forehand

but i tried 2BH and it didnt work out for me

LuckyR
08-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I have developed a 2 handed putaway to use at the net (which is where I am 95% of the time, since I play so much doubles). I call it my "Tracy Austin shot".

I leave out the gingham dress girly grunt though...

JordanR
08-30-2006, 02:19 PM
First post!

When I first started playing, hitting against a wall in a racquetball court, I tried one two-handed backhand and it felt just awful. I've had a one-handed backhand since then, never looked back. I do hit a two-hander every now and then to see how it feels, but I like my one-hander too much. Its such a smooth looking shot :)

habib
08-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Agassi uses 2hbh too
-.-
and so does more than half of the field!

Well then they're all squares. And people wonder why tennis' popularity has dropped. Who wants to sit around watching grown men hit little two-handed grannie strokes? :-p

tennis_hand
08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
another round of debate on this topic. thanks guys.

Silentgunz
08-30-2006, 07:10 PM
i like 1hbh but i had to switch to a 2hbh, because my 1 handed was weak but i wouldnt die that easy but now im using a 2 hander and it has a little more power for me but i hit it long a lot or ill hit it to low... so i use both

siber222000
08-30-2006, 07:53 PM
All twohanders (I say all loosely) need to master the slice and volley.
sigh.. volley... i hate volley lol :mrgreen:

rfprse
08-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Never seriously considered the change... but I wondered what it would be like to use two hander after I was so unhappy with the high backhand.

tennis_hand
08-30-2006, 11:30 PM
well, high balls at the head level is also not nice for 2 handers.

Capt. Willie
08-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Two hands are for baseball. :p