PDA

View Full Version : Playing against tall players...

Ten.Is
08-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Do you guys ever have a hard time playing someone that is taller than you by alot?

I've found a new hitting partner, which is great because he brings more competition than my other friends, but I have trouble hitting slices, and passing shots to him. I'm only 5'7'' and he's 6'4''. When I slice the ball his arms are so long that the slice on the ball has no effect on him.

You guys have any special game plans against someone that that much taller than you?

Punisha
08-29-2006, 10:04 PM
nope cos im 6'4 and never play taller ppl :D

boojay
08-30-2006, 02:24 AM
I'm only 5'6" myself and I've played against a 6' 6" guy, 6' 4", another 6' 4", and one guy who I'm not even sure how tall he is, but he looks more than 6' 6" based on my observation!! I also have lots of experience playing against many over 6'.

What I've found is when you're that tall, lateral movement is rather limited so I would suggest moving your opponent left and right as I've achieved much success with this. Also, when receiving serves from guys this tall--the ball kicks up EXTREMELY high--I just back up enough so that the ball comes down to a manageable level (this only works on some second serves as first serves continue to rise until it hits the fence) and use my speed to compensate.

There are many other little strategies I employ, but it's really late (or early) and I can't think straight.

Supernatural_Serve
08-30-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm 6' 5", my weakness is a ball hit directly at my body not my outstretched wings. Think twice before passing tall players because you are hitting right into their wheel house. Some tall people struggle with low balls especially when they are on the run and they lean or reach forcing them off balance, but less so when they can set up for them.

I'm lethal with my arms away from my body and less threatening when the ball is coming right at me (serves), or right between my legs (net play)

Mick
08-30-2006, 03:50 AM
i find that it's nearly impossible to lob tall players when they are at the net. When they are there, the only choice you got is to hit passing shots.

shrakkie
08-30-2006, 04:42 AM
i have a friend who must eb about 6 "7". he s and v too.what i would say is that on the return of serve keep em deep and at his feet.on ur serve keep the shots flat and to him.also serve to the body.

TnTBigman
08-30-2006, 04:46 AM
tall players don't like low short returns. they don't like to bend down and reach for the ball. also, let them run side to side about 3-4 times and mix in a drop shot from the baseline while your at it.

maverick1
08-30-2006, 04:54 AM
Do you guys ever have a hard time playing someone that is taller than you by alot?

Not particularly.

Short guys bother me in different ways. They quickly get to everything and they are in good balance most of the time. There is a legendary pusher in my club who is about 5'2", who wins most of his 4.0 league matches by running down everything and returning with control, but no offense.

Strength to weight ratio is naturally lower for tall people than for short people, and hence they move slower. Tall people never seem to get their full due. If they are good it is like they got a favor from Mother nature. No one appreciates their disadvantages.

BTW, I am 5'11", and have no reason to be biased either way. I face about many shorter players as taller players; most players are within 2 inches of my height.

Supernatural_Serve
08-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Not particularly. Tall people never seem to get their full due. If they are good it is like they got a favor from Mother nature. No one appreciates their disadvantages. A better way to put it is that tall people change direction more slowly or recover more slowly or recover from being off balance more slowly than many other shorter people.

I'm tall, my movement in 1 direction, any direction is as fast as anyone I play with, but when I stop, turn, recover, <that's slower> sprint to the other side of the court (fast as anyone), then stop, turn, recover <that's slower>

so, like

TnTBigMan said:

Make them change direction and you will notice the chance of winning the point increases with every change you put them through.

But, one thing that shouldn't be underestimated is how fast a tall person can move foreward at the net or split step and explode for 2 steps to cover a passing shot with their long legs and wide wing span giving them a lot of coverage.

I count on people trying to pass me at the net, they would have better odds if they hit the ball dipping into my body or between my legs, or get one down at my feet, for I can't volley those balls well and the amount of "safe passing zone" to my left or right isn't as big as it may look. Those "safe passing zones" are right next to my effortless high percentage crisp volley zones

oldguysrule
08-31-2006, 10:44 AM
A better way to put it is that tall people change direction more slowly or recover more slowly or recover from being off balance more slowly than many other shorter people.

I'm tall, my movement in 1 direction, any direction is as fast as anyone I play with, but when I stop, turn, recover, <that's slower> sprint to the other side of the court (fast as anyone), then stop, turn, recover <that's slower>

so, like

TnTBigMan said:

Make them change direction and you will notice the chance of winning the point increases with every change you put them through.

But, one thing that shouldn't be underestimated is how fast a tall person can move foreward at the net or split step and explode for 2 steps to cover a passing shot with their long legs and wide wing span giving them a lot of coverage.

I count on people trying to pass me at the net, they would have better odds if they hit the ball dipping into my body or between my legs, or get one down at my feet, for I can't volley those balls well and the amount of "safe passing zone" to my left or right isn't as big as it may look. Those "safe passing zones" are right next to my effortless high percentage crisp volley zones

Takes a "big" guy to tell you how to beat him...I agree with this completely.

varuscelli
08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
So much depends on where you are in relation to where they are on the court and how fast the point is moving or developing, but one of the strategies that helps me (not all the time, but enough to make a difference) is to go right at the the taller player. And if they're at the net, right at them with heavy topspin so that the ball dips quickly over the net. Against some (certainly not all) taller players, these things can help.

It also really helps to play taller players who are not very good at tennis. :p

boojay
08-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Olivier Rochus > Ivo Karlovic (http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=Rochus%2C+Olivier&player2=karlovic)

;)

varuscelli
08-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Olivier Rochus > Ivo Karlovic (http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=Rochus%2C+Olivier&player2=karlovic)

;)

And Rochus' strategy was... :confused:

Being ranked 30th as opposed to 69th?

:)

varuscelli
08-31-2006, 02:23 PM

I've found a new hitting partner, which is great because he brings more competition than my other friends, but I have trouble hitting slices, and passing shots to him. I'm only 5'7'' and he's 6'4''. When I slice the ball his arms are so long that the slice on the ball has no effect on him.

You guys have any special game plans against someone that that much taller than you?

And of course, a player's rating will have a lot to do with strategies that can be used. A 5'7" 3.5 rated player would likely be forced to a much more limited strategy than a 5'7" 5.5 rated player when going against a taller opponent with the same rating.