PDA

View Full Version : played with no balls

pushing_wins
08-30-2006, 08:37 AM
played a club tourney. i m a regular. draw will be posted for everyone to see for a month.

i m a retriever. give me pace, i hit with pace. no pace, i dont like to generate pace.

played a pusher who had better wheels with a good overhead.

got blown out

playing within myself, what can i do differently?

MasterTS
08-30-2006, 08:41 AM
So you a pusher and you played better pusher.. and he won?...

Well he beat you at your own game plan.. if you change to playing real tennis you'll probably lose because it's not what you do best.. and what you do best is pushing.. Prepare to lose again but focus on more agressive play. A year down the line you may steamroll him. Progress is slow.

Ripper
08-30-2006, 08:47 AM
played a club tourney. i m a regular. draw will be posted for everyone to see for a month.

i m a retriever. give me pace, i hit with pace. no pace, i dont like to generate pace.

played a pusher who had better wheels with a good overhead.

got blown out

playing within myself, what can i do differently?

Learn to generate pace.

kevhen
08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Learn how to beat pushers. For me, I rally until I get the short ball and then I attack usually hitting a slice approach and finishing with a forehand volley or overhead. You need to work on your attacking game as you don't have the wheels to push against better pushers. Pushing does win as your screen name says but you do need to be able to finish points when the opportunity presents itself.

pushing_wins
08-30-2006, 09:00 AM
thanks guys

but the question is

playing within my limits, is there anything i can do?

btw it was on clay

rallys were like 30 balls crosscourt. no one was willing to change direction. no balls.

LuckyR
08-30-2006, 09:23 AM
It would probably be easier (and ultimately better) to make the transition to counterpuncher from retriever (as opposed to trying to be a power baseliner as others have advised).

If you get beyond the counterpuncher style, later a baseliner style might be in your future.

kevhen
08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Drop shot, lure him to net and then pass him.

HyperHorse
09-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Hit the gym.
Learn to hit more shots, expand your arsenal...
Learn how to hit slice & topspin.
Mix up your angles. Try to visualise a point before its even played...
And get out of that defensive, passive mental approach.
The more you play one style early on, the harder it is to change your mindset.
Try to do something different with each point.
Learn how to hit slice off both sides.
Learn to control the trajectory of the ball, you need to do this if you're goin to rip passing shots..