View Full Version : Planning on buying a drop weight string machine....

03-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Hey guys im planning to buy my first stringing machine, and I believe im going to buy a drop wieght machine. I heard they may take a little longer to use than the proffesional machines and that the u must string 5 lbs above the avg. Well besides those 2 shortcomings for this type of machine is it a good idea to get one? Im thinking about buying the ATS super Stringer II.

David Pavlich
03-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Slower is true. However, a drop weight is a constant pull machine. If you want to string at 60 lbs., you set the weight at 60 lbs.

If you want a top quality string job with your drop weight, look for a machine that has fixed clamps. Flying clamps don't give the consistency you may be looking for.


rich s
03-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Dropshot has a solid machine for sale a few posts down.

I too have a Progression 602FC and would not hesitate to buy one again or any other current Gamma machine.

I don't know if ~$359 is too much for you to spend but it is definitely worth the money IMO

03-07-2004, 04:40 AM
I'm selling a Gamma 600 drop weight, floating clamps for $175. Not as good as the 602, but it would get you started, you could discover your likes/dislikes, then take the money you saved and put that towards the upgrade.



Gaines Hillix
03-07-2004, 05:00 AM
ejch, before purchasing a new one, I'd watch the items on e-Bay for a while and on this board. IMO, you'll have a better experience if you get a drop weight that has fixed clamps. They are easier and faster to use and they don't twist or slip as much as flying clamps. The ATS SSII and the SP Swing are the ones I'd be comfortable recommending if you decide to go that way. The Laserfibre line is the best of the drop weights, but they are too pricey for many people's budget.

03-07-2004, 04:58 PM
How do i know if a string machine has fixed clamps or not? Does the ATS SSII have fixed clamps?

Gaines Hillix
03-07-2004, 05:08 PM
ejch, the SS II does not have fixed clamps. It has what are called flying clamps, which are not attached to the machine.
Here is a link to the type of stringer I'd suggest;

http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3664661301&category=29 17