PDA

View Full Version : The Expert Mind

Amirsan
08-30-2006, 01:58 PM
I recently bought a Scientific American magazine about a few weeks ago and its featured article was titled "The Expert Mind". I have to say it is quite enlightening, and basically strengthens the conviction I have always had: You aren't born with talent, you make talent. To relate this to tennis, basically I believe, with the support of this article, that with hard work and persistence, and ofcourse, always challenging yourself, you can be as good as anyone in the game. Sports and skill is only a matter of who is more dedicated then the other.

Here is the article:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=00010347-101C-14C1-8F9E83414B7F4945

But what I am asking here is that in the article, it describes, quite vaguely the system experts use to learn their trade, which is intense study and categorization memory techniques. In their chess examples, chess players often categorize chess piece positions into one, and remember it as a bunch, thus allowing them to remember more combinations, and use them when they want.

Now, how does this relate to tennis? What is your study techniques? How do you learn or "chunk" your tennis information? I've wondered since I read the article how it can apply to tennis... do you memorize plays in chunks? Court positions? How to beat so and so player?

I am really interested in your thoughts on this. :)

fx101
08-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Funny cause I read that 2 weeks ago... good article indeed. I just try to remember something and it happens, not too many techniques to doing that. As for figuring out how to beat so and so, I do it in real-time.

LuckyR
08-30-2006, 02:54 PM
It is true people can rise to the best of their abilities through hard work, perseverance, mental training tricks etc. But, and this is a big but, taking things to Pro levels is another matter entirely. After all even if you could make your own talent, you do realize that there are tons of other folks making their own talent too. At the international or even national competition level there are so many people doing all of the right things that the winners are going to need something extra to be dominant, namely "natural" talent.

Bagumbawalla
09-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I, also, read the article. Rather than re-analyseor every situation, the "expert mind" learns to categorize and group bits of information.

Of course, good tennis players do this. A good player does not go blindly to battle. At the higher levels of the game, much of the contest is a mental contest.

Good players know shot combinations, service strategies, responses to various placements and spins. To an extent, this is percentage tennis. It's why the thoughtful player (Hingis?) can often out play the blaster. It's why the old geezer with wrapped elbows and knees can sometimes win against a brash young basher.

Tennis is full of patterns, positions, contrary forces, styles, dynamics. A discriminating player senses these things and adjusts and attacks.