PDA

View Full Version : Serving Troubles

xsuper
08-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Serving is the weakest part of my game, I always find it hard to hit the ball at the right time, height, and distance from my body. Is there a wind up that can help me swing faster?
Also is the ball supposed to be a little infront of my head for a flat serve?

PS I'm around 6 feet and I thought i should have a big window for a flat serve.
Maybe I should have said PLEASE?

nadalito92
08-30-2006, 04:41 PM
same problem here i guess WE should try to throw the ball higher or something

drakulie
08-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Serving is the weakest part of my game, I always find it hard to hit the ball at the right time, height, and distance from my body. Is there a wind up that can help me swing faster?

Practice, practice, practice. The ball should be in front of your serving shoulder for a flat serve.

Make sure you swing up---not down into the court. Imagine you have a ball in your serving hand rather than a racquet. After the toss throw the ball in your hand at the ball you just tossed. This should be your swinging motion. When you "throw" the racquet at the ball, the racquet head will snap down and bring the ball into the service box.

Also, keep your wrist loose. Do not put a death squeeze on your grip. Pretend you have a bullwhip in your hand. Then "bull-whip" your racquet when you serve. nice fluid motion.

I know it is sounds weird, but try it. People make the mistake of trying to "muscle" the serve down into the service box. They should be throwing the racquet "up".

Good Luck, and hope this helps.

xsuper
08-30-2006, 05:04 PM
thanks i'll try it tmr!
Also I have a lower back problem so is it a good idea to avoid kick serves?

drakulie
08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
thanks i'll try it tmr!
Also I have a lower back problem so is it a good idea to avoid kick serves?

Yes it is. Concentrate on getting a good toss and swing. then start working on the spin serves.

skuludo
08-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Toss the ball with your palm down if you can't control your toss with the palm up.

To get the palm down position put your hand on the table and lay down all five fingers on the table. Then make a fist. Place a fall into the fist.

That is the position you will be holding the ball.
This toss some how makes my shoulders turn.

My toss is about as high as ZPTennis guy in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gLYogcZIE

I toss that low because I don't really like to wait for the ball to come back down and risk hitting the 12 o clock position if I swing too early. I toss the ball so that I will hit the sweetspot with 0 wait time.

jeebeesus
08-30-2006, 08:02 PM

use the continental grip
contact the ball at 9 o`clock spot of the racket face
press down with your index base knuckle

coolblue123
08-31-2006, 03:48 AM
Practice, practice, practice. The ball should be in front of your serving shoulder for a flat serve.

Make sure you swing up---not down into the court. Imagine you have a ball in your serving hand rather than a racquet. After the toss throw the ball in your hand at the ball you just tossed. This should be your swinging motion. When you "throw" the racquet at the ball, the racquet head will snap down and bring the ball into the service box.

Also, keep your wrist loose. Do not put a death squeeze on your grip. Pretend you have a bullwhip in your hand. Then "bull-whip" your racquet when you serve. nice fluid motion.

I know it is sounds weird, but try it. People make the mistake of trying to "muscle" the serve down into the service box. They should be throwing the racquet "up".

Good Luck, and hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip drakulie. I have the same trouble too. Good analogy with the serving hand. I'll try it later too. Do you have any suggestions on tossing higher? I have a bad habit of tossing too low and hitting the net especially on break pt 2nd serve situations. =(

xsuper
08-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the tip drakulie. I have the same trouble too. Good analogy with the serving hand. I'll try it later too. Do you have any suggestions on tossing higher? I have a bad habit of tossing too low and hitting the net especially on break pt 2nd serve situations. =(

As pointless and obvious as it might sound, I think practice is the best way to learn the toss. Just toss the ball as if you were serving but don't hit it unless its EXACTLY at the spot you want it at. Slowly your toss will increase in accuracy. I just have problem figuring out where that spot is, and forget to take my time during the toss when i'm losing to a guy i should be able to beat easily.

drakulie
08-31-2006, 08:45 AM
As pointless and obvious as it might sound, I think practice is the best way to learn the toss. Just toss the ball as if you were serving but don't hit it unless its EXACTLY at the spot you want it at. Slowly your toss will increase in accuracy. I just have problem figuring out where that spot is, and forget to take my time during the toss when i'm losing to a guy i should be able to beat easily.

coolblue, the above advice is exactly what I would recommend. People rarely practice the toss alone. Practice about 50 toss' each time you go out. Slowly, as stated by xsuper your toss will improve.

I usually never recommend videos but the Bolleteri video "Sonic Serve" has some great tips and really breaks down the entire serve very nicely. It also has some great recommendations on how to improve and practice.

Good Luck!

peter
08-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Here's a great one:

http://www.grebo.net/~peter/serve/pa150007.mov

:-)

drakulie
08-31-2006, 09:40 AM
peter, great one. LOL