PDA

View Full Version : Nothing But White Shorts

TennsDog
08-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Why do almost all pros (male, anyway) always wear white shorts? I have never played anyone who wears white shorts, I don't own any white shorts, and I never intend to own any white shorts (sorry, Wimbledon). Even when it's not white it's black. Why are there no red shorts? Or khaki? Or even grey?? It can't be because they don't get as hot. They wear them at night too. They wear black shirts with white shorts. And even if they didn't, legs don't get that hot from shorts since they are so loose anyway. I just don't understand this trend.

mJeez4293
08-30-2006, 04:13 PM
monfils had all red on today

TennsDog
08-30-2006, 04:29 PM
monfils had all red on today
Ok, I should clarify that as I cannot recall ever seeing anything but white or sometimes black shorts.

BreakPoint
08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Because wearing white shorts means you're a serious tennis player. How many other sports do people wear white shorts? Like none. So if you own white shorts, that means you bought them just for tennis and nothing else, making you a dedicated tennis player. Anyway, that's what I think when I see other guys wearing white shorts on the courts. Usually, guys wearing white shorts turn out to be pretty darn good players, in my experience. Sort of like seeing guys with PS 6.0 85's on the courts. ;)

BTW, I personally own a least a dozen pairs (or more) of white tennis shorts. They go with any color top so they make matching quite easy, too. :D

KBalla08
08-30-2006, 04:44 PM
monfils wore all red today, federer wears black shorts once in awhile... it just depends what goes with the top u are wearin... but the white shorts, as above poster said, go with practically anything and are a sign of a more serious player

couch
08-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Why do almost all pros (male, anyway) always wear white shorts? I have never played anyone who wears white shorts, I don't own any white shorts, and I never intend to own any white shorts (sorry, Wimbledon). Even when it's not white it's black. Why are there no red shorts? Or khaki? Or even grey?? It can't be because they don't get as hot. They wear them at night too. They wear black shirts with white shorts. And even if they didn't, legs don't get that hot from shorts since they are so loose anyway. I just don't understand this trend.

It's probably more tradition than anything else.

couch
08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Because wearing white shorts means you're a serious tennis player. How many other sports do people wear white shorts? Like none. So if you own white shorts, that means you bought them just for tennis and nothing else, making yu a dedicated tennis player. That's what I think when I see other guys wearing white shorts on the courts, anyway. Usually, guys wearing white shorts turn out to be pretty darn good players, in my experience. Sort of like seeing guys with PS 6.0 85's on the courts.

BTW, I personally own a least a dozen pairs of white tennis shorts. They go with any color top so they make matching quite easy, too. :D

Man, I only have a few pairs of white tennis shorts; I must suck! I've gotta get some more to get better. :D

ZoomUltraflight
08-30-2006, 04:52 PM
technically they match all color tops, if you have balkc shorts you are really not supposed to wear a white and navy blue (or green) shirt becuase you don't wear black and navy blue together. I personally wear whatever combinations but "technically" there are certain colors that shouldn't go together. I like them becuase tehy seem sharp and i have a private local club that requires all clothing to be white.

TennsDog
08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm not on the courts to make a fashion statement, so I'm not interested in matching clothing. Also, my goal in buying apparel is to buy stuff that I can wear both on and off the court to give me as little changing as possible. I hate being like, "I want to go play some tennis, but I'm wearing a cotton shirt. I have to change!" By the way, I can't play tennis in cotton shirts anymore. They annoy the crap outta me, so it's moisture management all the way. I personally just think white shorts look stupid, especially the ones that become see-through.

Nextman916
08-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Black looks bad.....blue doesnt match as well, white is attractive and matches with anything, intimidates your opponent with such color cordination. Khaki....i dunno about same reasoning with black, if you saw your opponent in black or grey shorts it would seem kind of dull, but when someone is wearing bright white shorts it shows confidence in their game.

TennsDog
08-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Black looks bad.....blue doesnt match as well, white is attractive and matches with anything, intimidates your opponent with such color cordination. Khaki....i dunno about same reasoning with black, if you saw your opponent in black or grey shorts it would seem kind of dull, but when someone is wearing bright white shorts it shows confidence in their game.
Wow, you read all that into clothing color? I usually base my opponent's game on, well, his game. My high school team's uniform was white shirt and khaki shorts for three years, and we changed to blue shirts the fourth year. As you can see in my avatar, blue on khaki looks sweet. Way better than blue on white.

Dunlopkid
08-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Proud to say I own two completely white Diadora tennis shorts.;) Better get some more though.:mrgreen:

BreakPoint
08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
I personally just think white shorts look stupid, especially the ones that become see-through.

Geez, no wonder all the babes come and watch my matches. LOL :lol:

Anyway, I think white shorts look great, so cool looking, and they make you look like a "playa". LOL :mrgreen:

Faber
08-30-2006, 06:14 PM
It looks like you're wearing white shorts in your avatar. :P

Lleyton Hewitt
08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
the big tennis shops will have a wide range of colour shorts but local shops tend to stick with original colours black or white which is where many ppl buy there gear. anyone else who wears like red shorts eg monfils. well monfils is different in everyway compared to the other tour players.

Mick
08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
It's probably more tradition than anything else.
haha, yeah like how everybody would wear white socks.

PurePrestige
08-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I was wondering, because in your avatar it really looks like you're wearing White shorts.
I think white shorts are the coolest, especially with a black shirt. Like Roddick and Federer have it down. If you have white shorts, a different color shirt and white hat/headband it looks cool. I think the best is white shorts with a black shirt and white hat which Roddick wears all the time.

TennsDog
08-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Trust me, those shorts are khaki.

Faber
08-30-2006, 08:31 PM
It's just a tradition of the sport.

looseswing
08-30-2006, 08:46 PM
nvm, just finished actually reading through the thread

austro
08-31-2006, 05:46 AM
Whites only! Don't even think about anything else! All those people in their rainbow color, baggy stuff look like they come straight from the basketball court! Have some style people!

To the poster who said he isn't going on a fashion show: I suppose you don't care what you look like, on court or off. That really just says it all.

Nuke
08-31-2006, 05:52 AM
I heard Pavel almost had brown shorts in his match with Agassi.

Rysty
08-31-2006, 05:55 AM
I always wear white on court. I guess I just like to be traditional. This is a matter of taste, so no big deal as long as you play elsewhere than in Wimbledon.

BiGGieStuFF
08-31-2006, 05:58 AM
I have a pair of white, navy blue, and black. I alternate depending on what top i'm wearing. I usually wear the white during the day since it absorbs less light. Anything to keep cool. If i could wear a portable A/C unit on my back w/o tiring out I would do it.

Nuke
08-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Most of my tennis shirts are white, but none of my shorts are. I don't want to look like I'm walking around in my underwear.

Brooklyn_bum
09-01-2006, 03:27 AM
I can't believe you didn't know that tennis clothes are traditionally white.

andrew_b
09-01-2006, 04:44 AM
As you can see in my avatar, blue on khaki looks sweet. Way better than blue on white.

Unless you're at University of Kentucky. The blue on white is pretty awesome ;)

play well,

Andrew

andrew_b
09-01-2006, 04:46 AM
I have black, blue, tan, red, and dark green shorts...and about 5 white pairs. For some reason they hang around longer.

For me it's just a matter of white going with anything. I can remember when Jimbo was radical because he had shirts that had colored stripes on them ;)

play well,

Andrew

War, Safin!
09-01-2006, 04:52 AM
It's never was and never will be a 'trend'. WHITE is just something that tennis players wear....I don't understand the nature of your query at all??? :confused:

('The G.O.A.T' wore all WHITE for 12 years and won 14 Slams....that's good enough reason to wear WHITE.) :cool:

TennsDog
09-01-2006, 08:03 AM
I can't believe you didn't know that tennis clothes are traditionally white.
I know that tennis clothes are traditionally white, but what does that have to dow with every player always wearing white shorts. People don't wear only white shirts anymore. Traditions break down, that's just what happens.

War, Federer, if that's just what tennis players wear, then I guess I'm not a tennis player. Silly me, I thought tennis players played tennis. I guess I need to see about getting some white shorts before I can become a serious player. Because, you know, clothing selection makes a huge difference in your game.

Supernatural_Serve
09-01-2006, 08:36 AM
I can't believe you didn't know that tennis clothes are traditionally white.Tennis was traditionally an outdoor summer sport where light colored clothing (reflects light, doesn't heat up) is more comfortable than dark colored clothing (absorbs light, heats up).

I think it started as a comfort thing that was codified into a tradition.

I wear black shorts and a white shirt always, except at the rare country club where "tennis whites" are still required and in those places people wear white short pants complete with zipper, and button or snap, tailored fit on the legs, none of the the loose drawstring kind of baggy shorts.

War, Safin!
09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I know that tennis clothes are traditionally white, but what does that have to dow with every player always wearing white shorts. People don't wear only white shirts anymore. Traditions break down, that's just what happens.

War, Federer, if that's just what tennis players wear, then I guess I'm not a tennis player. Silly me, I thought tennis players played tennis. I guess I need to see about getting some white shorts before I can become a serious player. Because, you know, clothing selection makes a huge difference in your game.
No, no - you misunderstand.
From your original thread post you seemed 'surprised' that white is still used as color of clothing nowadays?
I don't think it's that much different to 10-20 years ago - players still wore colored gear during non-Wimbledon tournaments.

As for me, I have just taken stock of a new dark navy Nike polo and matching 10" shorts and the Adidas Baricades that Safin wore, circa '05.... so, I'm not a traditionalist either!

andrew_b
09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Because, you know, clothing selection makes a huge difference in your game.

Yes! Just like making sure you're using the same racket as your favorite pro, and you've spent countless hours analyzing photos and videos to determine if that's really his/her frame, or how he/she has it modified. LOL.

White shorts are white shorts, nothing more.

Now, it would kind of be a cool trend if Nike or Adidas came out with hi-tech LONG white pants like they used to wear back in the day. Maybe Nadal has started us down that path?

play well,
Andrew

Brooklyn_bum
09-01-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't undertand what the OP is asking. Why white shorts? Because it's always been that way. If you want to break from tradition and wear non tennis looking clothes then go ahead. Nobody cares.

I don't know why you are so against white shorts.

TennsDog
09-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't undertand what the OP is asking. Why white shorts? Because it's always been that way. If you want to break from tradition and wear non tennis looking clothes then go ahead. Nobody cares.

I don't know why you are so against white shorts.
"Because that's the way it's always been" is not a reason to do something. It is merely an observation. There needs to be a reason why, and tradition does not count as a reason. I'm not "breaking from tradition," I'm just wearing shorts that actually have some style. Not to mention I have never even seen any white shorts (aside from maybe some basketball shorts) in stores when I buy them anyway. I didn't say anyone should care, I am simply wondering why almost all pros always wear white shorts. If you don't know why, then don't answer. Again, tradition is not a why.

BreakPoint
09-01-2006, 02:39 PM
"Because that's the way it's always been" is not a reason to do something. It is merely an observation. There needs to be a reason why, and tradition does not count as a reason. ........ Again, tradition is not a why.

But tradition IS the reason why. Just like why do they play on grass at Wimbledon, or use love to mean zero, or use scoring like 40-15 instead of 3-1, or change sides after the first game and then every two afterwards, or play a set until someone wins 6 games by two, etc., etc. It's called: tradition.

couch
09-01-2006, 02:50 PM
"Because that's the way it's always been" is not a reason to do something. It is merely an observation. There needs to be a reason why, and tradition does not count as a reason. I'm not "breaking from tradition," I'm just wearing shorts that actually have some style. Not to mention I have never even seen any white shorts (aside from maybe some basketball shorts) in stores when I buy them anyway. I didn't say anyone should care, I am simply wondering why almost all pros always wear white shorts. If you don't know why, then don't answer. Again, tradition is not a why.

Dude, you think too much. People wear white shorts because it's mostly tradition and they reflect heat/light more than darker colors. I don't ever wear white shorts unless I play tennis. So why do I wear them? Because tennis players wear white shorts. It's as simple as that. If you want to wear something different then wear something different.

BreakPoint
09-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Dude, you think too much. People wear white shorts because it's mostly tradition and they reflect heat/light more than darker colors. I don't ever wear white shorts unless I play tennis. So why do I wear them? Because tennis players wear white shorts. It's as simple as that. If you want to wear something different then wear something different.

Yeah, couch, I totally agree. It's like asking why do the Yankees wear pinstripes or why do pro golfers wear long pants instead of shorts?

newnuse
09-01-2006, 03:12 PM
TennisDog,

It's just traditional. I grew up wearing white shorts for tennis. I prefer to wear white during tennis as a result. White is a very neutral color so I don't see why anybody would consider it ugly.

TennsDog
09-01-2006, 03:18 PM
TennisDog,

It's just traditional. I grew up wearing white shorts for tennis. I prefer to wear white during tennis as a result. White is a very neutral color so I don't see why anybody would consider it ugly.
TennsDog. No i.

Brooklyn_bum
09-01-2006, 11:35 PM
I agree that white is a neutral color and a safe bet that matches other colors. I only have tennis shorts in white, black & navy. You are in the minority if you think there's something wrong with white shorts.

Hardly anyone wears tennis clothes at the public courts I play unless they are serious. Most people wear something like cargo shorts and tee shirts from Old Navy. They also only carry one racket and sometimes wear basketball shoes, etc.. It seems to me when someone really gets into tennis they invest in tennis clothes to look like a tennis player. The white shorts help achieve this look.

DX_Psycho
09-01-2006, 11:42 PM
i wear white shorts because it looks damn cool with anything. looks best when i wear all white though.

i wear black shrots too but i generlaly wear that with shirts with more black and different colors on it.

chess9
09-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Tradition? Not at all!

White is a religious experience. The exalted final resting place of truth, beauty and THE TENNIS WAY.

Ethereal, even effete, but alway perfect for those quiet moments at the net when one is genuflecting towards the Gods of Wimbledon.

Do not go gently into that good night without white.

Dominus vobiscum adamo albeo :)

-Robert

TennsDog
09-03-2006, 07:04 AM
But tradition IS the reason why. Just like why do they play on grass at Wimbledon, or use love to mean zero, or use scoring like 40-15 instead of 3-1, or change sides after the first game and then every two afterwards, or play a set until someone wins 6 games by two, etc., etc. It's called: tradition.
There is a difference between the way a game is played and what people wear to play the game. Everything you mentioned is a part of tennis itself. Without that, it would not be the same tennis. Apparel, however, is not a part of the sport. Yeah, I know some of you will argue me about that, but I don't care what you say, if I go out and play tennis (by all "tennis" rules) in a polka dot bikini, I'm still playing tennis.

goober
09-03-2006, 07:10 AM
Tradition? Not at all!

White is a religious experience. The exalted final resting place of truth, beauty and THE TENNIS WAY.

Ethereal, even effete, but alway perfect for those quiet moments at the net when one is genuflecting towards the Gods of Wimbledon.

Do not go gently into that good night without white.

Dominus vobiscum adamo albeo :)

-Robert

Step slowly away from the bong. You will feel better in after a short rest.

mary fierce
09-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Tennsdog notes he's "not on the court to make a fashion statement" but adds that "white shorts look stupid." Make up your mind, son; do you care about how you look or not??

TennsDog
09-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Tennsdog notes he's "not on the court to make a fashion statement" but adds that "white shorts look stupid." Make up your mind, son; do you care about how you look or not??
There is a difference between throwing on any clothes I have in my drawer because I don't care if they match and going to the store and paying for an article of clothing I think looks stupid. If I had white shorts, they would be worn equally as much as my blue, black, grey, green, and khaki shorts. However, since I don't like white shorts, I don't buy them, leaving me with only apparel that I do like. And no, I'm not explaining this any further, so if you still don't get it, tough.

Dan007
09-03-2006, 07:37 AM
It looks good on any colors

BreakPoint
09-03-2006, 08:25 AM
There is a difference between the way a game is played and what people wear to play the game. Everything you mentioned is a part of tennis itself. Without that, it would not be the same tennis. Apparel, however, is not a part of the sport. Yeah, I know some of you will argue me about that, but I don't care what you say, if I go out and play tennis (by all "tennis" rules) in a polka dot bikini, I'm still playing tennis.

But isn't switching sides after the first two games instead of one or calling the score 40-zero instead of 40-love, still playing tennis, too? :confused:

TennsDog
09-03-2006, 08:41 AM
But isn't switching sides after the first two games instead of one or calling the score 40-zero instead of 40-love, still playing tennis, too? :confused:
Not as much. Those are rules of tennis. There is no rule (ignoring Wimbledon) in tennis regarding apparel color. Therefore, it is simply tradition and not a part of the sport. When you learn how to play tennis, nothing is mentioned of white shorts. However, you learn very quickly how to score and change sides.

couch
09-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Not as much. Those are rules of tennis. There is no rule (ignoring Wimbledon) in tennis regarding apparel color. Therefore, it is simply tradition and not a part of the sport. When you learn how to play tennis, nothing is mentioned of white shorts. However, you learn very quickly how to score and change sides.

This is silly. People are giving you their opinions and you are still arguing. If you don't like anyone's opinion/answer then don't ask the question.

TennsDog
09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
This is silly. People are giving you their opinions and you are still arguing. If you don't like anyone's opinion/answer then don't ask the question.
Actually, he asked me a direct question. I answered it.

couch
09-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Actually, he asked me a direct question. I answered it.

You're referring to one question and I'm referring to the whole thread. LOL

TennsDog
09-04-2006, 10:03 AM
You're referring to one question and I'm referring to the whole thread. LOL
That would be because you quoted me on one answer. And by the way, yes, I argue. It's something I enjoy doing. If you don't like it, fine, leave my thread. Otherwise, quit your b!tching and start making some valid points.

stormholloway
09-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Well I make it a point to make a fashion statement when I play. Why the hell not?

As for white... why do players wear it? Study the history of the game and you'll figure it out.

TennsDog
09-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Well I make it a point to make a fashion statement when I play. Why the hell not?

As for white... why do players wear it? Study the history of the game and you'll figure it out.
Just curious, have you read through the thread? I know the history of the game, but that doesn't explain why people should continue with that same history. We don't use the same courts, same rackets, same shirts, or even some of the same rules. So why use the same shorts?

stormholloway
09-04-2006, 10:58 AM
We don't use the same shorts. They're longer and baggier. Do you read through every thread you add to? I read the original post and that's all I need to respond to.

The answer is obvious: white goes with all colors because white IS all colors. White light is the culmination of all light energies, therefore all colors are in white, save for black. Just because racquets and courts have changed doesn't mean people should stop wearing white. Because one thing changes, does not mean another should.

TennsDog
09-04-2006, 11:45 AM
...The answer is obvious: white goes with all colors...
So basically it's all about fashion and wanting to match. Ok, that's that. The thread's dead. We can all go home now.

stormholloway
09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
I'd say that sums it up.

chess9
09-04-2006, 12:07 PM
I'd suggest a poll.

Do you prefer white shorts and shirts?

Should we go back to woodies too?

Is white a religion?

Is white a musical comedy?

Should blacks wear white?

Should whites wear white?

Should tennis players mimic all the worst behaviors of basketball players?

Will my gold chains and diamond teeth clash with my 4 foot long white shorts?

Is it ok to wear a black Ipod and listen to white rap while wearing white?

So many questions....

-Robert

TennsDog
09-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I'd suggest a poll.

Do you prefer white shorts and shirts?

Should we go back to woodies too?

Is white a religion?

Is white a musical comedy?

Should blacks wear white?

Should whites wear white?

Should tennis players mimic all the worst behaviors of basketball players?

Will my gold chains and diamond teeth clash with my 4 foot long white shorts?

Is it ok to wear a black Ipod and listen to white rap while wearing white?

So many questions....

-Robert
Um, ok?

thejackal
09-04-2006, 02:11 PM
whites shorts get dirty really easily, especially when I do streches after hitting.

Zets147
09-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I can't find any white shorts that aren't $25++++ whyyyy

TennsDog
09-04-2006, 04:50 PM
I can't find any white shorts that aren't $25++++ whyyyy
Because they're "tennis" shorts and anything made for tennis is too expensive. Go to Wal-Mart, buy a pair of light grey shorts and bleach the hell out of them.

Zets147
09-04-2006, 05:42 PM
I'ma get me some o' mah boy Monfils gear yo

Boja
09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
I prefer white shorts for tennis. It's mostly because I wear bright colored shirts, so I like for the white to even it up. It would be too much to wear colored shorts and shirts, plus a yellow hat like I usually do.

That and the fact that it is a traditional tennis short like others have mentioned.

stormholloway
09-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I like a variety of colors. It's the cuts of the shirts and shorts that are most important to me. Nothing long, nothing baggy.

couch
09-04-2006, 08:15 PM

TennsDog
Q. Why do almost all pros wear white shorts?

Couch
A. Because that's probably what their sponsors give them.

TennsDog
Q. Why are there no red shorts? Or Khaki? Or even grey?

Couch
A. There are red shorts. Have you not seen Nadal or Monfils? I can't answer about grey. I guess it's not in style. Khaki belongs on the golf course not on a tennis court.

There your questions are answered. Will you answer one for me? Why is it tradition to wear white at Wimbledon?

Thanks. Look forward to your reply.

TennsDog
09-05-2006, 06:09 AM
TennsDog
Q. Why do almost all pros wear white shorts?

Couch
A. Because that's probably what their sponsors give them.

TennsDog
Q. Why are there no red shorts? Or Khaki? Or even grey?

Couch
A. There are red shorts. Have you not seen Nadal or Monfils? I can't answer about grey. I guess it's not in style. Khaki belongs on the golf course not on a tennis court.

There your questions are answered. Will you answer one for me? Why is it tradition to wear white at Wimbledon?

Thanks. Look forward to your reply.
Their sponsors give them options from which they can pick. They don't just throw them a handful of clothing and say, "Here, wear this or you're fired." And no, until yesterday, I had actually not seen Nadal play in red shorts.

As for Wimbledon, I don't bother trying to justify Britain. They're crazy traditionalists with no rhyme or reason. They have, however, loosened up from having to be "all white" to white being the "primary color." So who knows, maybe in decades to come they will remove the white rule altogether. One can only hope.

stormholloway
09-05-2006, 09:11 AM
One can only hope?

Why? What is the problem with white? White looks sharp. Tradition is what makes tournaments unique. If the players want to win so badly, then they must conform to the style of the tournament, otherwise, don't come.

What you're saying is ridiculous. Wimbledon is one of the most heralded of sporting events and what you want to do is strip away what makes it so beloved. If you take away it's traditions then it's just another tournament. Maybe they should switch to a Rebound Ace surface while they're at it. Pfft!

TennsDog
09-05-2006, 09:15 AM
One can only hope?

Why? What is the problem with white? White looks sharp. Tradition is what makes tournaments unique. If the players want to win so badly, then they must conform to the style of the tournament, otherwise, don't come.

What you're saying is ridiculous. Wimbledon is one of the most heralded of sporting events and what you want to do is strip away what makes it so beloved. If you take away it's traditions then it's just another tournament. Maybe they should switch to a Rebound Ace surface while they're at it. Pfft!
I don't like all white. White shirt or white shorts or white shoes is ok, but not ALL white. It gets boring to look at. It's my opinion, it's not ridiculous. Clothing has nothing to do with winning. And what the players wear doesn't make the tournament. Changing surfaces would change the face of the matches and tournament as a whole, unlike clothing. I'm sure if you ask Sampras why he loved it at Wimbledon so much, he wouldn't say, "Because they made me wear all white when I played there. I just can't get enough white!"

War, Safin!
09-05-2006, 09:19 AM
TennsDog,

Do colored shorts make you play better than if you were wearing white shorts?
This is a serious question: I'm quite superstitious with shirts, shorts and shoes now. For instance, I can't wear my Sampras white Nike Polo shirt with my Adidas black shorts. Psychologically, it messes me up. I have to wear the white Nike polo with white Nike shorts and socks.
Same with my black Nike polo - I can't wear that with my Nike blue shorts....

It has to be the correct combination of shirts, shorts and shoes....

Anyone else have superstitiuos traits?

TennsDog
09-05-2006, 09:20 AM
TennsDog,

Do colored shorts make you play better than if you were wearing white shorts?
This is a serious question: I'm quite superstitious with shirts, shorts and shoes now. For instance, I can't wear my Sampras white Nike Polo shirt with my Adidas black shorts. Psychologically, it messes me up. I have to wear the white Nike polo with white Nike shorts and socks.
Same with my black Nike polo - I can't wear that with my Nike blue shorts....

It has to be the correct combination of shirts, shorts and shoes....

Anyone else have superstitiuos traits?
No, I have no superstitions whatsoever. For all I know, white shorts could make me play like Federer. I have no idea, as I have never worn white shorts.

stormholloway
09-05-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't like all white. White shirt or white shorts or white shoes is ok, but not ALL white. It gets boring to look at. It's my opinion, it's not ridiculous. Clothing has nothing to do with winning. And what the players wear doesn't make the tournament. Changing surfaces would change the face of the matches and tournament as a whole, unlike clothing. I'm sure if you ask Sampras why he loved it at Wimbledon so much, he wouldn't say, "Because they made me wear all white when I played there. I just can't get enough white!"

Missing the point. I bet if you asked Sampras if Wimbledon should allow all colors on court, he would say absolutely not. Then he would hold up a picture of Monfils at the US Open this year.

I don't see the problem in clothing uniformity at Wimbledon. It's about creating a theme, and Wimbledon is the most thematic tournament on the planet. Frankly, this thread is stupid. They're shorts. Wear whatever color you want.

TennsDog
09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Missing the point. I bet if you asked Sampras if Wimbledon should allow all colors on court, he would say absolutely not. Then he would hold up a picture of Monfils at the US Open this year.

I don't see the problem in clothing uniformity at Wimbledon. It's about creating a theme, and Wimbledon is the most thematic tournament on the planet. Frankly, this thread is stupid. They're shorts. Wear whatever color you want.
If this thread is so stupid, and you continue to be a part of it, what does that say about you?

Tchocky
09-05-2006, 11:39 AM
You can't go wrong with tennis whites. You're taking a chance when you start wearing colors. If you wear a colored shirt with colored shorts, then there is a good chance the colors will clash.

couch
09-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Their sponsors give them options from which they can pick. They don't just throw them a handful of clothing and say, "Here, wear this or you're fired.

As for Wimbledon, I don't bother trying to justify Britain. They're crazy traditionalists with no rhyme or reason.

I don't know but I would think some of the lower ranked players don't have much of a choice. They probably just wear what they get. Some players, from what I understand, don't even get paid to wear certain sponsors clothes. I've also heard from Jeff Salzenstein's uncle that some players will get a day contract from a clothing sponsor because they are going to be on tv (I wasn't aware of that). So I would say the top ranked players may have a choice but the number 205 player in the world probably wears what he gets.

I also said earlier that white shorts was mostly tradition in tennis and I think you just stated, although inderectly, the same thing with your comment above. :confused:

DFWLoop
09-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Very easy response. When i go to purchase shorts, the majority of the ones that are available are white. Now....Academy and Sports Authority have very limited tennis stuff for sale...got to buy what you can get a hold off.

BTW..I have never seen tennis shorts for sale at walmart..unless you are buying generic clothing to play tennis in. Where do you keep the tennis balls in?

Tennsdog...is fashion that important to you when you are on the court? Are you under 20? Just wondering.

stormholloway
09-05-2006, 06:24 PM
If this thread is so stupid, and you continue to be a part of it, what does that say about you?

It says I waste my time on things that stupid people create.

Trinity TC
09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Back to the original question...they are paid millions to wear white shorts. Watch them practice if you want to see what they really wanna wear. Personal preference....baggy black skater shorts.

Next question?

hgb765
09-10-2006, 09:50 AM
because they look good and match good

federermcenroeagassi
09-10-2006, 10:24 AM
How many other sports do people wear white shorts? Like none.

ever herd of soccer or basketball or sqwash

federermcenroeagassi
09-10-2006, 10:26 AM
...making you a dedicated tennis player. Anyway, that's what I think when I see other guys wearing white shorts on the courts. Usually, guys wearing white shorts turn out to be pretty darn good players, in my experience.

if thats your experence you must play the same person all the time

just because u ware white shorts, dosent mean your an all star tennis player

BreakPoint
09-10-2006, 05:35 PM
if thats your experence you must play the same person all the time

just because u ware white shorts, dosent mean your an all star tennis player

No, I play lots of people who wear white shorts. And from my over 30 years of experience playing tennis, I've noticed that people who wear white shorts tend to be better players than people who do not in general.

And have you heard of a guy named Roger Federer? What color shorts does he usually wear? I'd say he's pretty good, wouldn't you? Most other pros also wear white shorts, along with top college and junior players. So it certainly seems that better players do indeed tend to wear white shorts more often than not. And I see the same thing at the higher recreational levels (4.5 and above).

Let me guess, you don't wear white shorts? :rolleyes:

max
09-11-2006, 07:03 AM
I've noticed that I get more compliments from women when I wear white tennis shorts. Anyone else notice this?

That said, I've observed that as men get older, they gravitate toward black shorts. Perhaps easier to match casual stuff, easier to keep clean. (Or is this my error?)

LittleMAC
09-11-2006, 08:02 AM
TennsDog, I'm only 21 and I usually wear white shorts. I do, however, wear dark blue and black as well. I think the reason most people wear white tennis shorts is because, like everyone else is saying, tradition! And why not break from tradition, right???? Well a lot of people do so good for them. Most people don't because that is the way they were brought up. People have pointed out that they are members of clubs that allow only whites. I primarily wear whites because that's what I've always used. Not a lot of people like radical changes. Change happens over a period of time. Maybe in 20 years there will be hardly any players wearing white. I also think most stores sell white and most pros market white shorts. From a personal standpoint, I think white shows class while black shows a more badass side. I have nothing against different colors I just think white is sharp and it's what I have been wearing while playing tennis for many years. I don't break from that tradition so much because I don't care to... that's all. I also personally think Khaki's are a hideous choice for tennis and should be for golf only.

jelle v
09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Didn't Federer wear nlue shorts for a short while..? Were nice shorts from nike in my recollection.

maynardsson55
09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I teach and hate how quickly they get dirty from putting balls in pocket. Look nice though.

Vixenbergen
09-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Let's state all the reasons why:

1. White shorts are, by nature, cooler (in terms of temperature) than any other color.
2. A lot of people like the color white, what's the problem if they want to wear white shorts? You say it's all about looking good, and it doesn't matter what color, but what If I don't like the color green or red or black, but I like the color white? It's a universal color. My point is, some people just LIKE the color white! Me included
3. It's not only tradition, it's very common everywhere, so that kind of gets ingrained into a tennis player's head, plus there is wimbledon, the most prestigous of all the tournaments, where all you can wear is white.

LN_Dad
09-11-2006, 05:07 PM
White shorts show off your tan better.

psamp14
11-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Man, I only have a few pairs of white tennis shorts; I must suck! I've gotta get some more to get better. :D

yeah! i only have 1 white short, 3 black, and thats it! trying to get some navy blue/obsidian, maybe grey as well

then again breakpoint probably has enough tennis apparel to wear all 365 days of a yr, 366 on the leap years, without a single wash load needed!

BreakPoint
11-09-2006, 10:28 PM
then again breakpoint probably has enough tennis apparel to wear all 365 days of a yr, 366 on the leap years, without a single wash load needed!

Of course, that's why I only do my laundry once a year. ;) LOL

psamp14
11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
lol...that really cracked me up

Duzza
11-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Because white shorts are the best.... I only ever wear blue/black if I'm wearing a White shirt, but some of the time all white.

migjam
11-11-2006, 07:07 AM

Davydenko has worn grey shorts.

krprunitennis2
11-11-2006, 07:31 AM
=) White shorts look sooo...good when they're clean. But there are many players with red tops and black shorts ;P