PDA

View Full Version : Former Volleyball players playing tennis...

Ten.Is
08-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Do you guys find it easier to play tennis after playing volleyball? I do see some similar motions between the two sports. My new hitting partner plays college level volleyball and he has a mean a.ss serve and he's also 6'4''.

LuckyR
08-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Regular volleyball (as opposed to beach VB) would seem not to require much speed (quickness yes, speed no) so it would seem to cultivate S&V types. Tall gangly heavy servers who would be quick at the net and have mean overheads. They would be vulnerable to the modern power baseliner game though...

ta11geese3
08-30-2006, 07:11 PM
no one said anything about s and v...

tennis_hand
08-30-2006, 07:40 PM
good for serving.

Ten.Is
08-30-2006, 07:42 PM
My friend has only couples months longer than I have yet he seems to be a natural at it. I don't hate him for it either I think its great because we can definitely learn alot from each other.

Spindarella
08-30-2006, 09:06 PM
A lot of volleyball players tend to move their front foot on their serve when switching to tennis and its hard to break the habit

Caswell
08-31-2006, 07:17 AM
A regular singles opponent of mine is a former beach volleyball player. His serve is great, but when he's pushed he tends to jump into groundstrokes and volleys. My usual strategy with him is to move him around until he starts jumping into his shots.

Andres
08-31-2006, 08:03 AM
I played in a tourney against a former volleyball professional.
The mechanics of his serve was nearly PERFECT. The bend, the trophy position, the followtrough, the spin. And he was 6'5''.

But the rest of the game kinda sucked :oops:

But yeah, playing volleyball can help you A LOT on understanding the mechanics of the service motion, and in my opinion, so so so so much more than pitching.

treo
08-31-2006, 12:19 PM
I've noticed volleyball players playing tennis have serves and overheads with the same motion. Frying pan grip, facing the net and no pronation or spin.

InvisibleSoul
08-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Do you guys find it easier to play tennis after playing volleyball? I do see some similar motions between the two sports. My new hitting partner plays college level volleyball and he has a mean a.ss serve and he's also 6'4''.
The reason he has a mean *** serve is because he's 6'4" and is (I'm assuming) quite athletic.

A lot of volleyball players tend to move their front foot on their serve when switching to tennis and its hard to break the habit
Interesting. I think that may be true. I'm a volleyball player that plays tennis as well, and I found out that I move my front foot while serving too. I think it might be because I was tossing the ball in front of me, which is what one does in volleyball. Just in the last week, I've gone out to practice a new serving motion, and I'm tossing the ball directly overhead now, and being aware to not move my front foot.

I played in a tourney against a former volleyball professional.
The mechanics of his serve was nearly PERFECT. The bend, the trophy position, the followtrough, the spin. And he was 6'5''.

I don't think his proper tennis serve form can be attributed to his volleyball experience. If anything, he's just someone who learns proper technique at each sport.

As treo mentioned, serving in volleyball is VERY different than serving in tennis. The motions are VERY different.

TylerWeekes
08-31-2006, 03:17 PM
I've noticed volleyball players playing tennis have serves and overheads with the same motion. Frying pan grip, facing the net and no pronation or spin.

It does depend on how the volleyball player was taught to spike and serve though. Top level volleyball players demonstrate excellent coil, external to internal rotational principles, and excellent pronation. Lots of high school players and college players and float servers do not. I've seen quite a bit of volleyball, love watching beach and Iím kind of a student of human movement;) Lots of ex-volleyball players have difficulty with grounstrokes because nothing in their sport simulates the proper techniques for groundies. If they are athletic and get good instruction they can pick it up fast though!

-Tyler:D

Ten.Is
08-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Lots of ex-volleyball players have difficulty with grounstrokes because nothing in their sport simulates the proper techniques for groundies.

-Tyler:D

I totally agree with this...my partners groundstrokes is not one of his great attributes although his serve is done pretty well.

str33t
08-31-2006, 04:43 PM
actually i have it the other wy around. played tennis then volleyball. i used my tennis motion to serve and got some sweet topspin serves.