PDA

View Full Version : Indoor tennis around Boston

chickenbreast
08-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know of a good indoor facility that isn't too expensive. My fiance and I just started playing, and we would like to play/take lessons in the winter!

Thanks!

SC in MA
08-31-2006, 04:24 AM
Where in the Boston area ?

chickenbreast
09-02-2006, 08:03 AM
I live in Brookline MA - right in the city....

Where in the Boston area ?

gbt tennis acer
09-02-2006, 08:37 PM
chicken what level are you around maybe we could get together and hit sometime

Back210s
09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know of a good indoor facility that isn't too expensive. My fiance and I just started playing, and we would like to play/take lessons in the winter!

Thanks!

I know of two in the immediate area;
Sportsmen's Club in Dorchester (basic tennis only club) and
Boston Athletic Club (full club with weights, tennis, pool etc) in South Boston

Sorry, I don't have any info on cost but at least it's two places you can check out. Hope it helps.

travlerajm
09-06-2006, 03:14 PM
When I lived there briefly in the '90s, I almost joined a club in Waltham that had this cool deal that you just had to show up, and they'd guarantee you a pllaying partner within 20 minutes. If they couldn't find someone in 20 minutes of suitable ability, then the pro woudl hit with you. And it was pretty cheap. The only part I didn't like was that the court surface was astro-turf with sand on top.

chickenbreast
09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Beginner. I just started playing early this summer. I can hit the ball back over the net and in play, but I have a habbit of not hitting shots deep enough.

Let me know if you want to hit sometime!

Edward
cmpisfun at yahoo dot com

chicken what level are you around maybe we could get together and hit sometime

Back210s
09-07-2006, 10:16 AM
When I lived there briefly in the '90s, I almost joined a club in Waltham that had this cool deal that you just had to show up, and they'd guarantee you a pllaying partner within 20 minutes. If they couldn't find someone in 20 minutes of suitable ability, then the pro woudl hit with you. And it was pretty cheap. The only part I didn't like was that the court surface was astro-turf with sand on top.

That's the Weston Racquet Club. (http://www.westonracquetclub.com)

Not sure what your idea of "cheap" is but these days I think it's about $1200-1500 for the
winter season (32 weeks) :(
Granted court time is paid for but if you're not playing 3+ times a week there it probably is
cheaper to pay court time elsewhere.

If you're willing to go out to Waltham, there is also the Waltham Athletic Club.

backcourt
09-08-2006, 06:48 AM
If you're willing to travel to Winchester, there are at least 12 hardcourts and its one of the few clubs with no membership fee. You just pay for the time you play.

BstonBruin
09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
If you're willing to travel to Winchester, there are at least 12 hardcourts and its one of the few clubs with no membership fee. You just pay for the time you play.
Same with Woburn Racquet Club

BDAZ
09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
the good thing about the weston racquet club is that they have a boat load of clinics that are included in the membership, perfect for beginning players, with no more than six people in them. in addition, anytime you want to play, they'll find you a partner at your level. all you have to do is call up and make a reservation, and they either put you with other people of the same abililty who call in or they call around to their 400 person member base and find someone. if that ultimately doesn't work, then a staff member will go out with you. that can be just as beneficial as playing for a beginner because the staff are often decent players.

mJeez4293
09-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Longfellow sports club, wayland mass. i play there all year round as a junior. its a great facility with good players and coaches

afty
09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Do either the Woburn or Winchester clubs have any matchmaking programs or round-robin play or even a club league? I'd love to play through the winter, but it's hard finding people to play with.

travlerajm
09-12-2006, 10:23 AM
That's the Weston Racquet Club. (http://www.westonracquetclub.com)

Not sure what your idea of "cheap" is but these days I think it's about $1200-1500 for the
winter season (32 weeks) :(
Granted court time is paid for but if you're not playing 3+ times a week there it probably is
cheaper to pay court time elsewhere.

If you're willing to go out to Waltham, there is also the Waltham Athletic Club.

The price has gone up a lot!

BDAZ
09-13-2006, 07:27 AM
afty, the only place around that has any sort of matchmaking is the weston racquet club. supposedly they're the only one of their kind in the world. it's a great system if you don't have anyone to play with.

Admerr
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
If you are willing to travel about 25-35 minutes (depending on traffic) I know of about a half dozen indoor facilities in the south shore. They are a little out of your way though.

GS
09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
How come nobody has mentioned the Racquet Club in Sudbury, 25 miles west of downtown Boston? Jim Courier and his Senior Tour played there in May. I remember hearing their prices were very affordable and that they had a great match-matching setup.

maroontennis
09-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi, I moved to the Cambridge/Boston Area from Chicago about 1.5 years ago. Two of the clubs mentioned earlier in this post: Weston Racquet Club and Bosse Sports(Club in Sudbury) are not very good. I used to help out with the accountant at Weston Racquet Club . The Weston Racquet club has an all white dress policy and they fine you if you are late, even by one minute. The pros there are not very good, most of the good pro's eventually leave to go to other clubs. The club in Sudbury is very expensive: 8000 dollar deposit and 500 dollars a month. This does not cover the cost of lessons either. They have very good coaches but the cost is very prohibitive.

maverick66
10-08-2006, 11:44 AM
i used to train at bosse when i was home. and ya its expensive but the pros are good. they also hold the boston challenger there. all there faciciltys are great and its friendly. its expensive but one of the best places to play. also ive played at weymouth club for a couple of years in the past. lots of courts but im not a big fan of most of there coaches and members. to much talking behind peoples back and the managment there is unfriendly.

short pants
10-22-2007, 08:59 AM
anyone have more feedback on this place??
thanks!

mkraw8
01-17-2010, 05:52 PM
I know the weston racket club is expensive and not many younger people. They don't have many pro's and yes the clinics and court times are included, but they make up for it in the membership. The courts are astro turf with sand and it does have the all white dress code. A nice place that isn't that far away is the mount auburn club. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this place. Great pro's, nice fitness facility, and plenty of courts. It is members only though, so no jumping on courts without a membership.