PDA

View Full Version : how to get yourself pumped up?

andyroddick's mojo
08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
I have this match tomorrow, against this guy who kinda sucks, but i lost to his the last time. i know i'm better then him, but i think its a mental thing I have. Last time I wasn't being agressive enough, just making errors. This time I wanna go out there and just be aggressive, but i need the proper mindset. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get pumped before a match? Not things like "just believe you can win" or stuff like that. I'm gonna try to listen to some pump up songs before school. any other ideas?

w00gy
08-31-2006, 12:01 AM
1: Listen to: Arctic Monkeys - i bet you look good on the dancefloor

2: Imagine yourself showing your opponent all corners of the court!

3: Get into an agressive mindset when listening to your music. Like fighting with someone.

4: Now go out there and make your opponent dance over the court.

ceejay
08-31-2006, 02:31 AM
If I can get myself ****ed off with something before the match I can usually channel that into my game later. I play better when simmering with anger. I use the anger to reinforce the belief that I am not going to lose, at any cost. It keeps me running.

I imagine playing lots of points, and winning them all. If I know the player I plan out my first game plan and the back up game plans. On the way there, I listen to some loud music to get me going.

Sustaining it during the match is the trickiest part I think though.

BiGGieStuFF
08-31-2006, 03:09 AM
I have to keep myself pumped down. When I'm too pumped up I tend to overhit. For me the same feeling of being pumped up works for basketball but it doesn't seem to translate for tennis.

TennsDog
08-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Something that I would like to do if I got the chance in your situation would be to hit the courts before the match and hit for a half hour or so hitting hard and going for winners. If you're hitting well and they're going in, then you can keep doing that for the match. If they're going out, then you have motivation to bring it down a bit or at least bit a bit more patient before going big. If I do something like this, I usually don't feel the need to hit big during the match anymore anyway.

MasterTS
08-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Before match, go to gas station and pump some gas..

During a match, remember what you did at the gas station.

andyroddick's mojo
08-31-2006, 08:37 AM
Something that I would like to do if I got the chance in your situation would be to hit the courts before the match and hit for a half hour or so hitting hard and going for winners. If you're hitting well and they're going in, then you can keep doing that for the match. If they're going out, then you have motivation to bring it down a bit or at least bit a bit more patient before going big. If I do something like this, I usually don't feel the need to hit big during the match anymore anyway.

i know what you mean. I usually hit before matches for tournaments but this is just a school match and I have school, so i guess no hitting time. I'm gonna follow what the second guy said, because he seemed to have some great advice.

remyb2
08-31-2006, 11:07 AM
For practicality: jogging ~10 minutes to have your legs warmed up. Make a few serves before the match at a public court to get into the match's rythm/atmosphere.

For mental: I try to convince myself that it's practice, that the match is not all important. I don't know your level but if the guy you're playing "kinda sucks" he probably pushes the ball back mid or 3/4 court with little pace. I know I had trouble with those balls and so was stressed when I see this in a match (which I then just pushes the ball back instead of playing my regular game). Thinking of the match as practice for those low-pace, short balls makes me relax so that I can let myself go for the winner/approach shots... even if I make mistakes.

nViATi
08-31-2006, 12:21 PM
The first step is to lose your arrogant attitude. If he has beaten you and you haven't beaten him then he is better than you. Don't go out hitting hard and thinking you're better than him or you will definately lose. Go out there playing YOUR game. Play like normal and don't try to be flashy or go for more than you usually do.

varuscelli
08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
When you get home, turn on Oprah or some other silly talk show nonsense and make yourself sit there for a full 10 minutes (no cheating and walking out after 5 or 6 minutes, though). Soon, you'll be itching to get out on the courts. By the time you actually get to the courts, you'll be so pumped from not having to watch that crap on the TV that you'll be virtually unstoppable on the courts.

j3d0
08-31-2006, 03:42 PM
When you get home, turn on Oprah or some other silly talk show nonsense and make yourself sit there for a full 10 minutes (no cheating and walking out after 5 or 6 minutes, though). Soon, you'll be itching to get out on the courts. By the time you actually get to the courts, you'll be so pumped from not having to watch that crap on the TV that you'll be virtually unstoppable on the courts.

this is one great advice!

j3d0
08-31-2006, 03:43 PM
I like to jog and hit the wall first...it makes me hyper like nadal!

Ten.Is
08-31-2006, 03:46 PM

hahaha funny...

I don't really listen to music or anything to pump me up. I always tell myself "Let's go...its game time." Try to get serious...tell yourself "I don't do this for fun..."

Xevoius
09-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Have your significant other promise you sexual favors in exchange for a winning performance.

Works for me.

tennistim777
09-01-2006, 02:42 PM
I have to keep myself pumped down. When I'm too pumped up I tend to overhit. For me the same feeling of being pumped up works for basketball but it doesn't seem to translate for tennis.

I ditto Biggie. I find that the calmer I am and clearer my mind is, allows me to play much better. I find if I come into a match pumped up, I will quicky burn out. I try to pace the match and take it one point at a time. Let us know the results from your match!! Thanks!! Good luck!!

Koaske
09-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Getting in to the zone / how to play your very best tennis:
1.The match has to be challenging for you but so difficult that you have no chance of winning.
In your case, the opponent has beaten you but you know you can beat him too so this shouldn't be a problem. Ever noticed when playing weaker players that you're not very motivated? That's because there's not enough challenge!
2. Use the shots you can do the best(if you think you can beat your opponent with them). You must have confidence in your shots, and your best shots are usually the ones you have confidence in, because you have practiced them the most.
3. Throw off the match pressure. Concentrate on playing, not winning. Don't be afraid to do error, because when you start thinking about errors, that's when you start doing them.

andyroddick's mojo
09-02-2006, 12:39 AM
hey, so after playing him i beat him 6-3. like i said, he honestly isn't that much better then me, but i have this mental block when i play him cause i keep thinking, "don't lose!". another thing might be that we played on a singles court (with no double's alley), and so it made me think that the court was much smaller and so i didn't feel very comfortable. Although I did try to keep focus and hit more agressive shots, i don't think i played my best. during practice its always easier since I just concentrate on how to hit the shot, not how consistent I have to be in the rally, or something like that.

HyperHorse
09-02-2006, 01:03 AM
The first step is to lose your arrogant attitude. If he has beaten you and you haven't beaten him then he is better than you. Don't go out hitting hard and thinking you're better than him or you will definately lose. Go out there playing YOUR game. Play like normal and don't try to be flashy or go for more than you usually do.

This is a counterpuncher's mentality...
Not everyone is a counter puncher, Hoang...

adista4
09-02-2006, 03:33 AM
play a tune in URE mind...works everytime

fx101
09-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Have your significant other promise you sexual favors in exchange for a winning performance.

Works for me.

That will sure work! :lol:

moxio
09-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Try listening to music before you get on the court.

Moves
09-05-2006, 10:16 AM

LOL! :p

This could work if you think of all the "explosive" power going on in your engine when the gas ignites!!! ROOAAARRR!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

- Moves

nViATi
09-06-2006, 09:22 PM
This is a counterpuncher's mentality...
Not everyone is a counter puncher, Hoang...
Actually it isn't. You can't win being arrogant and trying to go for too much.(I'm not saying hit slow, just not getting impatient and trying to hit it has hard as you can) You have to know what is your game and you have to stick to it whatever it may be.

Hot Sauce
09-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Some ACDC, thats the warm up song we always have for High School Ball