PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do during the winter?

Aonex
07-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Man, all this rain has got me thinking about what to do when the courts are closed in the winter and I can't play tennis. Anyway, wanted to find out what you guys do during the winter out here (just moved to NY this spring). Does everyone pretty much shut it down til the spring? I'm guessing indoor courts are probably too expensive.

Smashlob
07-27-2004, 08:59 PM
I live in the suburbs of NY and there is great indoor tennis. I know of several clubs in the NYC area that I have played in at various tournaments and in various programs throughout the last year. There are options to buy a seasonal court at most indoor courts, and the overall costs are not bad if you split the costs with 5 people, (1 person rotates out for each session)

Camilio Pascual
07-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Play indoors. I do a workout group on Sunday, do drills and hit with my mixed dubs partner on Saturday. I play once a week in a league, but haven't since my foot operation. I'm debating about whether to self rate @ 3.5 (my last rating) or rate @ 4.0 where I was 5 years and 3 operations ago. Then there are 1 or 2 doubles parties a month on Saturday nights. The membership cost is below $200 for the 7-8 months season and the fees are reasonable. I used to play outside a lot when it was above 30F, but I think I'll only go out when if is above 50F.

Shane Reynolds
07-28-2004, 11:25 AM
I work out with weights and try to play racquetball. It's getting harder to find courts for that, though. When you're talking about winter in Georgia, though, you're only talking (usually) two or three months.

@wright
07-28-2004, 11:56 AM
I live in the South, so we can usually play outdoors in the winter. Some wusses I hit with won't play if it's below 50, but I think I've played even near freezing temp, the ball just isn't too lively compared to summer.

thejerk
07-28-2004, 01:08 PM
In one word, Florida. If it gets to cold to play tennis, I go golfing.

dozu
07-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Here in Phila suburbs as long as there is no snow on the court I go out and hit. Believe me, you are only cold for the first 10 minutes.

If courts are snowed on, I play ping pong.

Coda
07-28-2004, 04:42 PM
california...12 months a year

speedofpain88
07-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Play indoors or play racquetball although that has screwed up my strokes big time in the past. Still it's a lot of fun.

I play a lot of basketball during the winter, partly cuz it's basketball season in school too.

Chanchai
07-29-2004, 12:25 AM
I live in Oregon and there are indoor facilities all over the place. Some public, most private or on college campuses (which can often be snuck into anyways).

I love playing indoors, but became spoiled by it (so I force myself to play outdoors most of the time now, while I can). With the echo of the indoor facilities, the lack of any real wind or breeze--you just feel like you're blasting balls and having fast rallies indoors.

Anyhow... in areas like Oregon where it rains a lot... when it's cold in the winter, it's colder inside the indoor courts than it is outside unless there's a harsh wind. I do kind of like the steaming look in winter though, steam rising from my shoulders and head--People say it looks like I have some kind of wicked aura about me :P

Played Tennis in California last winter... can't believe it felt like a hot spring day. Spoiled bastids... :P

-Chanchai

Aonex
07-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Tell me about it, I'm from California. Thanks for the posts guys, looks like indoor facilities seem to be a viable alternative.

NCODE95
08-04-2004, 11:56 AM
play indoors i can still have lessons and there are clinics 4 times a week every week unless the weather is really bad. winter sucks here in iowa it's for about 5 months.

Gaines Hillix
08-04-2004, 01:23 PM
The only thing that stops tennis in Georgia is rain. I've played ALTA matches at night when it's 35o and snow flakes were falling!

amarone
08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
The only thing that stops tennis in Georgia is rain. I've played ALTA matches at night when it's 35o and snow flakes were falling!USTA Atlanta does allow you to postpone if the temperature is below 30 degrees. For some reason, we get 9:00 AM matches in December and January for the winter USTA season and 4:30 PM matches in the heat of summer. (Yes - there are two USTA seasons per year in Atlanta).

bcaz
08-06-2004, 10:06 PM
play tennis ... az ... 7/12/366

Kirko
08-06-2004, 11:04 PM
I run during the winter 5 to 8 miles everyother day .

widebody 13
08-13-2004, 05:36 AM
We play indoors here in Vermont from late October through April. In the dead of winter, it's even cold indoors. We never take a warm sunny day for granted because there are so few. But hey, the crime rate is low, Howard Dean is out of the state yelling at other people now, we have the best maple syrup, and you "can't get there from here."

ismashall
08-14-2004, 12:40 AM
go surfing

Tennis Guy
08-14-2004, 07:29 PM
I play at an indoor club.

norcal
08-24-2004, 08:13 AM
We play outdoors all year...can get a bit cold and rainy. But when the winter swells hit and the beaches set up I go skim...the perfect cross training: sprinting, balance, trunk rotation, and of course face plants!

http://www.cramikskim.com/colin/winterskim.jpg

ismashall
08-24-2004, 10:48 PM
those who can't surf, skim. ... jk .... no, not really. hehe.

thehustler
08-24-2004, 11:11 PM
I played outside last winter as often as I could. Did it for much of the fall since the rain came late last year. Didn't matter if it was 30 out and it was at night I'd be playing. Sure the balls were heavy, but that made it fun. Never a good idea to take a long break out in the cold though. I was at a club, but it was all indoors and doubles with people twice my age who could move half as fast and that just frustrated me. Heck I'd even play in the rain as long as I was playing before it started. Die hard tennis is the way to go.

AndyC
08-25-2004, 04:14 AM
play indoors.. we're lucky enough to have 8 indoor courts.. paradoxically.. the team tennis sessions are better attended in winter at our club.. perhaps because people are less likely to be away on summer hols.

Cruzer
08-26-2004, 09:11 AM
I live in the Monterey Bay area in California and we play outside 12 months of the year. There can be periods of rain where we won't get to play for up to a couple of weeks. The temperature can get a little cool in the evenings (low 40's) but I am originally from Toronto so that is beach weather for me.

norcal
08-26-2004, 03:16 PM
those who can't surf, skim. ... jk .... no, not really. hehe.
Learning to surf is much easier. I can take someone out with a longboard and have them riding waves in no time. It will take weeks if not months to teach someone how to wave skim. Ya see on a surfboard half the work is done for you...you just sit there till a wave comes along. On a skim you have to find a way to get to the wave. Not that I'm bagging on surfing, I love it. I ride a Haut 6'6" for surfing.
Anyway before you bag on skim you need to understand what it really is....keep in mind Bill here started out on dry land!

http://www.skimsandiego.com/wedge128.MOV

ismashall
08-27-2004, 11:58 AM
bro, i was kidding...