PDA

View Full Version : When to use CLOSED STANCE

mona999
08-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey all,

just wondering when are the situations where you would use a closed stance. the only time i can think of is on backhands where you are forced out wide...is this even true, and when else would it be an efficient stance.

thanks!

Nickswh
08-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Hey all,

just wondering when are the situations where you would use a closed stance. the only time i can think of is on backhands where you are forced out wide...is this even true, and when else would it be an efficient stance.

thanks!

well i could see what you are saying by being forced out wide. but usually you would have an open stance if you are really forced out wide and barely get to it. if you were forced out wide and you were going down the line, you could use closed stance. use close stance when you have time to set up for a ball and almost as much as you can when hitting a backhand. you can get away with it on your forehand

Ten_is
08-31-2006, 09:51 AM
used close stance as much as possible. Both sides.

jimiforpres
08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Try to use open stance when hitting cross court and closed stance down the line. Closed stance will help you line up the ball better when trying to hit approach shots. Open stance is best to use when pulled out wide unless you can barely get to it. Open stance promotes better upper body rotation and allows you to recover faster.

jimiforpres
08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Try watching professionals to see when they do it.

supersmash
08-31-2006, 03:33 PM
You should use a closed stance for a good volley.

looseswing
08-31-2006, 07:14 PM
What I noticed from watching Fed is that he uses open stance for the back court and closed stance for shorter shots. He also seems to hit much harder when using closed stance.

tennis_hand
08-31-2006, 11:38 PM
What I noticed from watching Fed is that he uses open stance for the back court and closed stance for shorter shots. He also seems to hit much harder when using closed stance.

he uses eastern grip when closer to the net. with a close stance, you can get more power out of this situation.

ramseszerg
09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Try watching professionals to see when they do it.

Some use open exclusively and some use closed exclusively.

Mahboob Khan
09-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Use Closed stance? Never. May be you are calling square stance as close stance. Let me give you a brief run down on stances:

What is Square stance: When the feet are in the same line. For example, when hitting 1-handed backhand the right foot is at 12 and left at 6 o'clock positions (imagine you are standing on a large clock). Used for normal balls where recovery is not the major consideration.

Close stance: For FH: When the left foot is at 3 and right foot is at 8 o'clock positions e.g. the left leg crosses in front of the right leg. Since with closed stance, the left side of the body will be preventing the right side to move forward, it will inhibit the swing, thus not recommended (barring some uncontrolled situations when you fail to take one step forward with the right foot).

Open stance: When both feet are open to the net e.g. the right leg is at 3 and left at 9 o'clock positions. Depending on the hitting situations this could be semi-open and fully open. This stance allows recovery and is used for difficult balls.

Please do not use wrong terminologies.

NoBadMojo
09-01-2006, 07:38 PM
like Mahboob says, altho there are specialty shots when you are better with a closed stance, but i prefer to call it a crossover step.

You would use a crossover step at times when hitting an approach shot and also on some finishing volleys, otherwise either open stance or square, and the better all courters often use both open and square stances depending upon the situation.

The open stance not only allows for quicker recovery, but also saves you the extra step or so before the hit..this is crucial at advanced levels where the ball is coming extremely fast..there just isnt time to set up square stanced, and you cant afford to lose the extra step or so in recovery to get there in time for the next ball

Bungalo Bill
09-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Hey all,

thanks!

The only time you would want to use a closed stance is on the onehanded bakchand (and that should be used sparringly as well) otherwise you would use it only when you are forced to. A neutral stance to open stance is the preferred stances in today's game.

AndyFitzell
09-02-2006, 01:54 AM
If you want to use your lower body (legs) you don't want to find yourself in that position too often. It's very difficult to turn the hips in and lift the legs when you close the stance, but sometimes it's inevitable.

-Andy

JordanR
09-02-2006, 07:01 AM
I think it just happens that most of the time, for me at least, you don't have the time to close your stance before you have to get your swing going, so I end up in an open stance most of the time. I think a closed stance might be better for accuracy and ideal if you can get to it, but I wouldnt waste the time trying to make sure you do it and let the ball fly past you in the meantime :)

Amone
09-02-2006, 10:47 AM
I would argue that a closed stance (yes, a truly closed stance) is great for a two handed backhand, preferably when you actually don't have much time to set up, and are really hitting a running shot. It squares your shoulders so naturally, and gets great rotation.

papa
09-02-2006, 12:36 PM
used close stance as much as possible. Both sides.

Well, I certainly don't agree with this. Sure there are times that you have no choice and certain shots (like a one handed backhand) where a closed stance is preferred but you should stay opened as much as possible.

skuludo
09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
When I need to use my left foot and run forward to hit a shot then I hit a square stance forehand. Backhand I hit off a closed stance most of the time. When the ball is flying too fast and I can't move my right foot to close off my stance I hit open stance 2 handed backhand.