PDA

View Full Version : Playing with only an overgrip and no replacement grip is great!

Ripper
08-31-2006, 10:06 AM
I discovered this by accident. I was using a raquet with a grip diameter of 4 1/4 with it's normal replacement grip and an overgrip on top of that (like everyone else seems to do, right?). Then, I got a second identical frame, but with a grip diameter of 4 1/2, from which I took off the replacement grip and just installed the overgrip, in order to end up with the same final diameter as with the first raquet. WOW! The feeling is so superior. And I don't miss the cushioness, at all. I did notice that my hand is developing a new callouse that wasn't there, but I don't mind.

Edit: I'm very sure many pros do this, without us knowing about it. TRY IT!!!

MasterTS
08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
I discovered this by accident. I was using a raquet with a grip diameter of 4 1/4 with it's normal replacement grip and an overgrip on top of that (like everyone else seems to do, right?). Then, I got a second identical frame, but with a grip diameter of 4 1/2, from which I took off the replacement grip and just installed the overgrip, in order to end up with the same final diameter as with the first raquet. WOW! The feeling is so superior. And I don't miss the cushioness, at all. I did notice that my hand is developing a new callouse that wasn't there, but I don't mind.

I do this too.. except I put lead tape on the handle under the overgrip. I don't like altering the balance of the racquet, and I lead tape the handle to match the raquets..

I like 4 1/2 + two overgrips and no replacement grip... feels like a 4 3/8.

Andres
08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
I like 4 1/2 + two overgrips and no replacement grip... feels like a 4 3/8.
A 4 1/2 by itself is bigger than a 4 3/8 ... how can that feel like a 3/8 with two overgrips??

xsuper
08-31-2006, 12:10 PM
A 4 1/2 by itself is bigger than a 4 3/8 ... how can that feel like a 3/8 with two overgrips??
I'm confused by that too

brucie
08-31-2006, 12:19 PM
he obviously made a type error, 2 overgrips build 1 grip size as most over grips add 1/16.

MasterTS
08-31-2006, 12:22 PM

Did you read the title of the topic?... No replacement grip.. means brought a 4 1/2, took off the leather, and stuck two overgrips on..

The two overgrips itself is less than the single leather.

Let me explain in simple english, setup by setup:

A grip is made of the handle + leather and maybe overgrip.

4 1/2 with leather > 4 1/2 without leather
4 1/2 with leather > 4 3/8 with leather
4 1/2 without leather +2 overgrips ~= 4 3/8 with leather and maybe an overgrip

MasterTS
08-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Mr. Guazzelli, does my description make sense now or does the translator confuse my language?

Ten_is
08-31-2006, 05:16 PM
what do you guys think of the new grips being developed by Babolat?

zhan
08-31-2006, 05:55 PM

i tried it
i get more racquet head speed because i use wrist more with 'smaller' handle
its pretty cool
im NOT going back lol

tennis_hand
08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't use synthetic over-grip at all, but only with replacement grip.
who said OG is necessary? and who said RG is necessary if you have to use an overgrip on top of it?

Ripper
09-01-2006, 05:33 AM
I don't use synthetic over-grip at all, but only with replacement grip.
who said OG is necessary? and who said RG is necessary if you have to use an overgrip on top of it?

Exactly! If you use an overgrip over a replacement grip, then, the replacement grip is NOT a grip, but a vibration dampening device. So, if you don't really like, need or want a vibration dampening device (I don't, even, use dampeners on my strings), do like me and forget that replacement grips exist, at all.

PS: tennis_hand (he should know about the subject!), I'd do like you and, instead of my overgrip over the bare handle method, I'd use just the replacemet grip (there are good tacky ones out there), but I find all of them too thick. Having said that LaserFibre has a new (well, at least, to me, it is) two-tone replacement grip that's supposed to be thin and great. Has anyone tried it?

TennsDog
09-01-2006, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't personally even consider doing this. I bought a racket that came with a leather grip instead of synthetic. I switched to it without realizing it in a match this summer. I immediately realized it because the bevels are so much sharper and there is no cushion. It hurts my hand to play with it for more than about a half hour.

looseswing
09-01-2006, 08:47 AM
The only problem is getting the balance and weight of the raquet to be the same.

MasterTS
09-01-2006, 08:50 AM
The only problem is getting the balance and weight of the raquet to be the same.

Hence I add lead tape in the handle and then put the overgrip on.. feels perfectly fine to me.. use a digitcal scale and a home made balance beam.