PDA

View Full Version : Lobber/Dropper

marcl65
08-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Played a guy a week ago that just lobs and drop shots. His FH/BH are nothing to write home about and he hits with absolutely zero pace. It was driving me crazy, I was either blasting his softies 5 feet behind the baseline or (more often) rushing up to get his drop shots which Iíd catch about a foot from making its second bounce (i.e. I just had time to flick it over the net) then rushing back to get his lobs. Great exercise but not really conducive to winning. My serve isnít exactly overpowering so serve/volley wasnít working too well since he kept lobbing me. My question is, against these types of players should one park at the service line? If not, what is the best approach?

mctennis
08-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Keep them moving and slice the heck out of the ball you hit them. Give them no pace either. They thrive on using the pce you generate for them. Give them drop shots too then push them back to the baseline.

MasterTS
08-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Played a guy a week ago that just lobs and drop shots. His FH/BH are nothing to write home about and he hits with absolutely zero pace. It was driving me crazy, I was either blasting his softies 5 feet behind the baseline or (more often) rushing up to get his drop shots which Iíd catch about a foot from making its second bounce (i.e. I just had time to flick it over the net) then rushing back to get his lobs. Great exercise but not really conducive to winning. My serve isnít exactly overpowering so serve/volley wasnít working too well since he kept lobbing me. My question is, against these types of players should one park at the service line? If not, what is the best approach?

Improve your forward/backward movement.. lots of players move side to side fine but can't move forward. If he drops just drop him back.. or hit it deep. A good offensive reply to a dropshot will put him in defense.

marcl65
09-01-2006, 10:28 AM
But isnít essentially playing ďhisĒ game? Is this guy considered a pusher? Do I have to play like a pusher to beat a pusher?

I saw this same guy beat a, technically, stronger (but older) player just the other night. The dropper/lobber is a younger guy. But he seemed to have trouble dealing with a heavy top spinner (uses western grip). Is this typical of the paceless droppers/lobbers?

Bagumbawalla
09-01-2006, 01:23 PM
If you are the least bit unconfident in any area of your game this kind of player will make it obvious.

What you have to do is work on your total game. Hit thousands of groundstrokes against a wall/ball machine until you are utterly self-assured.

You need to create your own pace and you need excellent form to do that.

You will need solid volleying, footwork, overheads and serve. Work on some topspin so you can open up the angles.

Playing players like this may be annoying, but it may be the best thing for your game in the long run. Get used to it-- overcome it. In a serious match, people are not always going to hit to you in a way you like-- quite the opposite.

LuckyR
09-01-2006, 09:34 PM
This is a common JV and lower Varsity tactic. Play a step or two inside the baseline. From there, unless you are very slow, drops can be hit for winners or at least setup shots for winners. If he tries to move you back from that position he won't probably use deep drives (if he could hit those shots, why would he screw around with his garbage, right?) he'll use moonballs (since he is a good lobber) but you will be anticipating them and can run forward (from your already forward position) and use swinging volleys or at least a first volley then approach the net. Since you know he will lob you, as he goes into his motion, retreat from the second volley position back to the T and you will be able to hit overheads, instead of chasing lobs.

BillyBee
09-02-2006, 08:07 AM
If you improve your groundstrokes, you'll never have to worry about this type of player again. Learn to hit with power and consistency, and you'll just blow him away every time.

papa
09-02-2006, 12:53 PM
I'd just move him/her from side to side with a lot of slice but try to keep the ball low.

Slazenger
09-03-2006, 05:07 AM

I just saw this and wanted to add this.
I move better sideways than foreward so I am susceptible to average dropshots.
If you play someone who you know pulls this shot out often, you have to look for it and anticipate it.
The earlier you do the better your chances of getting to the ball while it's above net level and then you can be offensive with your shot.

TennsDog
09-03-2006, 06:59 AM
The best option I see is to play an overwhemlimg baseline game keeping him on defense so he can't control touch shots like that. If it doesn't work, try hitting high looping shots that land deep with a lot of topspin. It will push him back behind the baseline, and he won't be able to do anything with balls at or above his shoulders. Other than that, I would say you need to work on your whole game: groundstrokes so you can keep control of points, volleys to take advantage of net situations, and serves to set up points.

marcl65
09-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Improving my overall play is a given, I was just looking for ways to combat this style of play in the interim. And itís not just me; I watched this same guy beat another player who is technically much better than I am and, IMO, better than the dropper/lobber. Iíve also listened to a strong 3.5 player complain about losing to this type of player but I think it was more of a mental frustration thing.
This is a common JV and lower Varsity tactic. Play a step or two inside the baseline. From there, unless you are very slow, drops can be hit for winners or at least setup shots for winners. If he tries to move you back from that position he won't probably use deep drives (if he could hit those shots, why would he screw around with his garbage, right?)You are correct, he doesnít hit deep drives. And that sounds like good advice Ė standing inside the baseline. Iím used to playing hard hitters and so was standing a few steps outside the baseline - consequently, I had to run farther/faster to pick up the drop shots which I barely had time to flick over the net. Thanks to all!

LuckyR
09-06-2006, 09:59 AM
You are right. In a little while your regular game will blow these types off of the court. But in the interim, look at this guy as a practice session for first volleys and overheads. Eat him up!