View Full Version : 1HBH grip? *POLL*

08-31-2006, 05:56 PM
What grip do you use?

The Prodigy
08-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Continental, Semi-Western, and Western.

08-31-2006, 06:05 PM
i use eastern

08-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Continental, Semi-Western, and Western.


08-31-2006, 10:31 PM
the names of grip for forehand and backhand are confusing.
the backhand eastern is forehand western... WTF. :)

The Vitamin L
08-31-2006, 11:46 PM
I was initially more comfortable with the more extreme semi western grip for a one handed backhand but I moved to an eastern grip to get more penetration and have an easier time driving it flat if I wanted to.

09-01-2006, 05:41 AM
yesterday i was experimenting with some grips (i learned with 2HBH but i am trying to learn 1HBH as well) ... i tried conti, eastern, semi-western...
eastern was good but as my first time trying it... i cant put topspin on it ... maybe just my wrist not used to it...
but SW grip backhand... i was able to use the low-to-high motion and windshield wiper it on the follow through... to apply topspin...
so i guesss i gotta go with which ever is meant to be

09-01-2006, 06:18 AM
I've just looked at a grip guide, and I reckon I use Semi Western for my 1hb.

According to the guide "it's an advanced grip that only stronger and more accomplished players tend to use", which would explain why my bh is rubbish.

09-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Usually semi-western/full semi-western grip.

But when the ball is low (i.e.: against a slice) I'll go more towards an estern grip.

09-01-2006, 07:57 AM
I use a western forehand grip for my one-handed backhand. I guess if that's an eastern backhand, I use eastern.

Indrid Cold
09-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Modified eastern which I guess is what you call semi western? Idk, halfway inbetween eastern and continental. I have great flat shots but I struggle when trying to put topspin on it.

09-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Modified eastern which I guess is what you call semi western? Idk, halfway inbetween eastern and continental. I have great flat shots but I struggle when trying to put topspin on it.
thats not semi-western...
semi-wwestern is bsaically SW forehand grip but using the with the same side of the racquet face hitting the back hand...
ur using extreme-continental...

09-01-2006, 10:34 AM
1st knuckle on top of the grip... Whichever option this is...

I actually normally play 2hbh and didnt vote due to this...

09-01-2006, 06:44 PM
depends on the bounce of the ball, i hold in eastern and if it kicks up on me i'll switch to SW

09-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Haha well it took me a bit (and Google) to translate what I've been doing into a name but I think i pretty much have an eastern 1hbh. I've messed around with a more western grip but its got too much topspin that I havent been able to really apply yet and get it under control.

Gotta love the one hander though ;)

09-02-2006, 08:24 AM
i use western.... but i guess that one is eastern??

ps 6.0
09-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Semi-Western on both sides.

09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
HUH? I thought the backhand grips were continental, easter, and western. There is no Semi-western backhand. wtf.

The Vitamin L
09-02-2006, 11:23 PM
By semi western, meaning the same grip used for a semi western forehand on the backhand side, which is just a bevel behind the eastern backhand.

09-03-2006, 01:47 AM
I don't like how people have started using western as a way to describe the one handed backhand grip. A year or so ago, it was always extreme eastern, but now that's being called western. It's depressing.

I use a continental grip for slices, my topspin grip becomes more and more extreme the higher my contact point is, but it's basically somewhere inbetween eastern and extreme eastern.