PDA

View Full Version : How to maintain a right Grip in Match?

cxw0106
09-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Do you look at which bevel it is between your thumb and index finger? Do you look at your racquet face? Or do you just feel it?

I have no problem keeping a semi-western grip using my Prince racquet. However, whenever I use my ProKennex racuqet, because it has a different grip shape, I kept wrongly use eastern instead of semi-western, causing a lot of my topspin shots to sail long.

deluxe
09-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Feel.

Or you could try the wonder wedge. I haven't used it personally.

maverick1
09-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Feel - the bevels as well as the racket head orientation. A horizontal head applies more twist on your grip than a vertical head. Try switching grips with your eyes closed. I think you will find it pretty easy.

zhan
09-01-2006, 06:02 AM
i think its practice makes perfect...

remyb2
09-01-2006, 06:28 AM
All feel.

Don't think "I use eastern therefore I have to hold my racquet that way", do what feels natural. I used to be more eastern/semi-western but never thought of holding my racquet that way when I'm hitting. At one point late in the summer I looked at my grip: it naturally went to an almost western grip... that's what feels more natural to me now. But if I think too much to "hold it as semi-western" than my shots are to "robotic" (i.e.: think too much) and I'll miss them.

deluxe
09-01-2006, 07:05 AM
I once asked a top junior 14yo girl what grips she was using on her forehand and (2HBH) backhand. She said she didn't know, she just kind of spins the racquet around in her hands until she needs to hit the ball, and she uses the grip it stops in. ROFL

TennsDog
09-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I once asked a top junior 14yo girl what grips she was using on her forehand and (2HBH) backhand. She said she didn't know, she just kind of spins the racquet around in her hands until she needs to hit the ball, and she uses the grip it stops in. ROFL
I can guarantee she uses the same grip every time and she would know immediately if it were rotated by a few degrees either way. I can't remember ever thinking about my grip while playing. There are only two positions a tennis racket is ever situated in my hand: continental for serves and volleys, and western forehand for groundstrokes. Any other grip feels awkward and unnatural. If you want to get better at finding and keeping your grip, do this at home. When you have some free time, grab a racket and position it in the grip you want. Then spin it a bit and practice getting it back in that grip quickly so that it naturally falls into place and feels right.

Tim Tennis
09-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Do you look at which bevel it is between your thumb and index finger? Do you look at your racquet face? Or do you just feel it?

I have no problem keeping a semi-western grip using my Prince racquet. However, whenever I use my ProKennex racuqet, because it has a different grip shape, I kept wrongly use eastern instead of semi-western, causing a lot of my topspin shots to sail long.

Oh my gosh, if you have to look down to see what grip you are in you are in trouble. Grip changes have to be all feel and eventually they will become instinctive as you reach the higher levels of tennis.

As deluxe, said you might think about trying the Power -V- Grip aka Wonder Wedge, at least on the ProKennex racquet.

Here is a link to the Semi-Western page. Oh baby, you will not have any trouble finding the SW grip. You have got to be able to move your hand on the handle quickly and accurately.

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/SemiWestern_power_forehand.html

Best regards,

Ed

TennisParent
09-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Feel.

Or you could try the wonder wedge. I haven't used it personally.

Yup! If identifying your grip is a problem you NEED the Power V Grip aka Wonder Wedge. I do sympathize with what you are going through I switched from a Volkl racquet that I otherwise loved back to my old Yonex just because the grip shape never felt right to me-that was before my PVG though.

jb193
09-06-2006, 11:16 AM
a couple of things that helped me was to use a consistent size handle. I would use a 4 3/8 one week and then a different racquet with a 4 5/8 handle the next. Those variance messed up my "feel". Also, try to use the same type of overgrip or replacement grip for even more consistency. Also, when you feel "right" where your grip is, visually look at several reference points on you hand and notice where your grip is. Notice the location of the "V" (*between you thumb & index finger), notice your index knuckle's position, and notice your thumb knuckle's position. If you can get those consistent with a stroke that feels good, you can maintain the grip you want.........