PDA

View Full Version : strange forehand problem

raiden031
09-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I have been playing off and on for a few years and I would consider myself either a strong 3.0 to a weak 3.5 (I have beaten players up to 3.5 but usually would lose). I need help because I have this bizarre forehand problem that I just can't shake off.

Sometimes my forehand is completely lost for the first 20 minutes or so of playing. This is so strange as it feels like I have absolutely no coordination and cannot generate any top spin and its humiliating because during warm ups the ball is flying all over the place and hitting the fence. Always after the first few games of the match it comes back and is solid again. When my forehand is solid I have decent control and alot of top spin (Western grip) although I have a hard time hitting 'winner' shots consistently. It baffles me why I have this rediculous problem.

I have never met someone who has had this problem and I hate having to explain to my opponent that I don't completely suck when we first start hitting around.

emcee
09-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Maybe you should warm up more slowly? I don't know if this is what you're doing but if you're trying to wack the ball from the beginning, your shot might not properly defrost.

habib
09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
I have never met someone who has had this problem and I hate having to explain to my opponent that I don't completely suck when we first start hitting around.

Easy. Ask your opponent to only hit it to your backhand side during warmus. If questioned, explain that you actually don't know how to hit a forehand. Continue running around your forehand to hit backhands into the 3rd or 4th game of the set. And then - Surprise, jackass!

tennistim777
09-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Hopefully this hasn't become a "mental" thing for you. If you think about it before you walk out on the court you may already programmed yourself to do this. Try putting yourself in a different, more positive, mindset before you hit the courts. Be confident and impose your will during warmups and throug out the match!! Good luck!!

maverick1
09-01-2006, 05:33 PM
This is so strange as it feels like I have absolutely no coordination and cannot generate any top spin and its humiliating because during warm ups the ball is flying all over the place and hitting the fence.

I had this exact problem with my forehand, but just once.
It was the first tennis match I ever played, last Fall in my local club. I could n't keep the ball in the court during warmups. I played my forehand like I was extremely nervous, but in my mind I felt quite normal. It was the weirdest feeling, and humiliating as you say. Like getting on a bicycle and not being able ride. Luckily, the opponent was terrible, easily the worst in the league. I won by just dinking every ball with a little slice, aiming for dead center of the court. I have never had this problem since.

Have you tried developing a very deliberate forehand motion, with lots of explicit cues? Think about positioning of your feet, knee bend, backswing, the stroke and follow through... Something like that should be easier to reproduce. At least, thinking of all these steps will keep your mind busy and hopefully divert it from sabotaging your mechanics.

chroix
09-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Get there early and warm up on the wall if you have one available. After your in yur comfort zone, get on the courts.

Mahboob Khan
09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I will briefly describe the western forehand swing:

Stance: Normally open stance with western grips.

Backswing: Left arm pushes the racket back and up into a high loop.

Point of Contact: Ideal between chest and mouth but out in front (high point of contact).

Follow-through: High. However, the racket may settle down slightly below the level of the left shoulder.

To generate topspin: Let the strings move on the ball from low to high (6 to 12 o'clock positions).

If your backswing is low, your point of contact will also be low, and that's a deadly recipe for western grip forehand!

Check out a western grip forehand model at www.tennisplayer.net.