PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Federer with Korda

Vanja Ljubibratic
03-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I was just thinking how similar they are off the ground. I'm obviously refearing to Korda when he was in his prime in '98. They have that incredibly easy and flowing backhand, and great court positioning. Korda would rarely be pushed too far behind the baseline, and would take a lot of shots early. I don't remember him using the slice as effectively as Federer, but he did just about everything fairly well. Korda was so fun to watch because you'd never see him do anything where he looked off balance or out of position. He would build the point so well by using the entire court instead of bludgening his opponent senslessley like Roddick. I was really glad when he won the AO in '98; he definitely deserved it. Without mentioning the drug thing, what do you all remember and value about his game in comparisson with Federer?

@wright
03-06-2004, 10:47 AM
I am a big Korda fan, and I remember his uncanny movement and court sense in addition to his fearless shotmaking. When I see clips of how he was hitting the ball in Australia in '98, it's no wonder he took home that trophy. The guy was a pure ball striker in every sense of the word.

galain
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
I think the most elegant strokemakers have all been lefties. Korda had the most beautiful shots. I think he hit much flatter than Federer but when he was on I think he hit with more penetration. The trouble was, he wasn't "on" as often as he would have liked to have been.

He reminded me of Henri Leconte a lot. A player who probably hit the ball better than anyone on one of their good days, but just lacked the consistency to be able to do that all the time. I'll never forget the first time I ever saw Korda play. It was down here at the Hopman Cup and he faced up to Boris when Boris was King. He even came out swinging a Puma BB.

Anyway - he lost in 3, but Becker looked like he'd seen a ghost that entire match. Even thought it was an exhibition, you could tell he was glad to get off court with the win (and IIRC it was a very close match).

@wright
03-06-2004, 07:33 PM
BTW, I don't know how much I'd compare Federer with Korda, they have a few similarities such as pure ball striking, great movement, and incredible court sense, but besides that, these guys are very different players. From what I remember, Korda had less variety and would hit the ball pretty flat most of the time. I don't think he changed up the pace as much as Fed either. I'd like to see some of Korda's senior tour matches.

rommil
03-07-2004, 07:22 AM
Korda was always fun to watch. Thought his game and movement were fluid. And how can you forget the scissor kicks?

Vanja Ljubibratic
03-07-2004, 09:41 AM
That sounds like a fairly accurate analysis @wright. Yea, Korda does hit more flat more often than Federer. What were his vollies like? I can't seem to remember how he hit them. They must have been very solid. Nothing of Rafter calibre, but probably fairly reliable and comfortable. I'd also like to see his senior's tour matches. I bet he's still a lot of fun to watch. I'd also really like to see Stich play. Hopefully Kafelnikov will join them in a few years as well.

guernica1
03-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Korda had pretty good volleys. I saw clips of a senior tour match between he and John Mcenroe and he is still very fluid but still lost to Mac I think.

A great match if you can watch him play is when he beat Pete in 5 in the 97 (I think) US Open. That was the year right before he became #1 the following spring.

Serendipitous
11-18-2009, 01:45 PM
There is no comparison.

Mustard
11-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I am a big Korda fan, and I remember his uncanny movement and court sense in addition to his fearless shotmaking. When I see clips of how he was hitting the ball in Australia in '98, it's no wonder he took home that trophy. The guy was a pure ball striker in every sense of the word.

I remember Korda's semi final and final victories at the 1993 Grand Slam Cup. Korda beat Sampras 3-6, 7-6, 3-6, 7-6, 13-11 in the semi finals and then beat Stich, the 1993 World Championships winner, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6, 2-6, 11-9 in the final.

These matches are forgotten classics.

timnz
11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
In my opinion one of the best ever at that stroke. He hit it so effortlessly. I remember a shot of him passing Sampras whilst Korda was on the baseline, he did it so easily.

He was really skinny. He generated power from his excellent timing. In some ways he was like a much taller skinnier version of laver (in terms of his strokes, not his achievement).

Lendl hated playing him. At times Korda would be all over him (and I am a Lendl fan).

Mustard
11-18-2009, 02:17 PM
A great match if you can watch him play is when he beat Pete in 5 in the 97 (I think) US Open. That was the year right before he became #1 the following spring.

Korda never became number 1. He was within 1 match a few times in 1998, but never made it.

darthpwner
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Other then there 1 handed backhands and shotmaking, they were quite different players. Korda hits super flat if i recall he generated about 900 rpms on average. Federer hits a lot of spin. Federer also was very consistent while Korda was streaky.

darthpwner
11-18-2009, 02:26 PM
just realized this thread is old

Mustard
11-18-2009, 02:27 PM
just realized this thread is old

Very old. I didn't notice :oops:

Federer was all the way back on 2 slams when this thread was started.

MuseFan
11-18-2009, 08:00 PM
OMG... plz dont' compare a 1-time slam winning DOPER to the great GOAT.