PDA

View Full Version : Hitting balls in lower part of string bed

enigma54
09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
So my strings are beginning to fray a bit, mostly in the lower third of the string bed near the throat area. I'm using a PS 85. I guess if my technique and footwork were better, the strings in the center of the string bed would be fraying. So my question is - does this mean I'm getting too close to the ball when I swing and not allowing a full extension of my arm when I'm swinging? If you were my tennis coach, what would you be advising me just based on this observation of where the strings are fraying?

Thanks!

Bagumbawalla
09-01-2006, 02:40 PM
It's hard to say anything relevant without knowing more.

But, yes, there is much to be desired, here.

Let's get back to the basics.

The advantage and disadvantage of the moderm racket is that it is very forgiving and will allow you to mishit and have generally bad form and get away with it.

Find an old wood racket at a thrift store, a good quality one if you can.

Practice your forehand and backhand against a wall/ball machine. You will know when you have found the sweetspot, because, if you don't the racket will let you know.

Practice a long fluid stroke at medium speed-- find power in timing and co-ordination. Don't try to force power out of the racket. Watch the ball!!!!

Do the same with your serve. Practice, practice, pactice.

Then, try your PS 85. Surprise. You're good.

skuludo
09-01-2006, 09:26 PM
You are running too close to the ball. Well you could hit it cross court so it will then be in the center. Just don't hit it down the line in that position or you'll hit near the throat.

I watch the ball. Up to the point where I mishit it. Whats going on?