PDA

View Full Version : Nike Capitalizing on Agassi's retirement

sloe_torture
09-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Was the homage to Andre by wearing the Air Tech Challenge Blake's idea or was it Nike's? It's not a bad marketing ploy by Nike (if it really as Nike's idea) but didn't Nike cut off ties from Andre when his rankings dropped to the 500s (or even lower) during the Brooke Shields Era? Blake and Nike will benefit from the retro outfit with free advertising by way of SportsCenter, tonight's news, and numerous publications worldwide. If in fact this was a marketing attempt by Nike, it's definitely a great way to steal the thunder from Andre Agassi's current employer, Adidas, and their plans to honor Andre.

JerodT
09-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Was the homage to Andre by wearing the Air Tech Challenge Blake's idea or was it Nike's? It's not a bad marketing ploy by Nike (if it really as Nike's idea) but didn't Nike cut off ties from Andre when his rankings dropped to the 500s (or even lower) during the Brooke Shields Era? Blake and Nike will benefit from the retro outfit with free advertising by way of SportsCenter, tonight's news, and numerous publications worldwide. If in fact this was a marketing attempt by Nike, it's definitely a great way to steal the thunder from Andre Agassi's current employer, Adidas, and their plans to honor Andre.

I feel the same way. Nike did abandon Andre. I used to but all of their stuff, which was hard as hell to find in local shops in the DC Metro area. I've read that Phl Knight is the ultimate ***. I have no respect for them doing this.

El Diablo
09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Abandon him? Because they didn't want to keep his foundation afloat, and felt merely paying him (for doing essentially nothing) ought to suffice? Yes, Agassi is surely (drumroll) a........VICTIM.

JerodT
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
He made them tons of money!!! WTF. He was afterall still an ATP tour player. Did they do the same to Jordan when he was playing minor league baseball striking out every other day?? No they give him his own line and a board seat

chaz_233
09-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Good for Andre. With Adidas he doesn't have to look like a clown the way Nike would dress him up.

El Diablo
09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
I don't believe Jordan told Nike that they not only had to pay him but also pour money into a foundation he had started. There's milking the cow and there's squeezing the cow. And business is not about treating everyone exactly the same, I'm sure you understand. One would see Jordan jerseys on people all over Europe; not sure Andre carried that much marketing throw outside the tennis world.

couch
09-01-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't believe Jordan told Nike that they not only had to pay him but also pour money into a foundation he had started. There's milking the cow and there's squeezing the cow. And business is not about treating everyone exactly the same, I'm sure you understand. One would see Jordan jerseys on people all over Europe; not sure Andre carried that much marketing throw outside the tennis world.

You were there during the negotiations?

JerodT
09-01-2006, 05:18 PM

My point exactly, they chose to "market" Jordan even after his 1st basketball retirement, and during his abysmal minor league stint. I agree and understand that not all are treated equally. But they definitely had the same opportuniy to turn to the tennis world on its head with superstar the cailber of Andre. Mike thinks about Mike. Whata standup guy who would want $ to go to his foundation. Not to change gears but I never heard the particulars about the Adidas deal. I'm sure the fact that Steffi was already on the books made the sale that much easier. My problem with Nike is that they failed to market Andre after he stumbled in the rankings, now that he is going ut they want to caitalize on a period in his career (the mullet, the neon clothes) that he has openly said he frowns on. We all watched him grow and mature as a player and a person. Have a little respect for him. He still had a huge following and was still a major draw. I remember Hewitt being their goto guy during this time.

Airwolf
09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I would like to think that it was Blake's idea. I remember a couple of years ago he did the same thing for Johnny Mac when he sported the checkerboard threads.

Fee
09-01-2006, 07:07 PM
When did Agassi drop to the 500's? I've never heard that he dropped below 120 or so. Please post a link to his ATP rankings history page that show he dropped that low.

Brooklyn_bum
09-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Only the hardcore Agassi fans would know this anyways. When I saw Blakes outfit I thought it looked retro and a bit out of place but I didn't know it was Agassi's old outfit until I read it here on these boards.

It's Nike's property so they can do whatever they want with the design except use Agassi's name to sell it. It is a sly marketing ploy but I don't know if it could really steal the thunder from his current sponsor.

sloe_torture
09-02-2006, 02:12 AM
When did Agassi drop to the 500's? I've never heard that he dropped below 120 or so. Please post a link to his ATP rankings history page that show he dropped that low.

Sorry about the wrong information, I was just trying to make a point about Nike losing faith in AA because of his poor rankings. According to the AA Wiki, "In 1998, Agassi won five titles and leapt from No. 141 on the rankings at the start of the year, to No. 6 at the end of it, making it the highest jump into the top 10 made by any player. He won five titles in ten finals..." Dude has heart.

Andre Agasaki
09-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, if you look at the outfit that James Blake was wearing it was not the actual "original" Nike Air Tech Challenge outfit that Agassi wore back at that French Open long ago. It is a totally new remake of the original. I wonder if Nike is planning on selling it? This is strange because it is reported that James Blake asked Agassi for his approval if he can wear it. Agassi of course said "yes". I would think that Nike would have James wear the neon yellow spandex since that is the US Open colors but, who knows......=)

Django
09-02-2006, 08:55 AM
El Diablo is absolutely correct.

In addition, say what you will about Nike's fashion sense, but would we even notice if someone -- anyone? -- wore an Adidas outfit from the early 1990s? You'd have to go all the way back to the Lendl "argyle" designs to find anything distinctive about Adidas gear.

brinkeguthrie
09-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I think it was Blakes idea to do it, and Andre said OK.

From the Boston Globe:
After watching Agassi fall to Rafael Nadal in the third round of Wimbledon, Blake turned to his brother and coach and wondered about the possibility of doing something low-key to honor Agassi. And what is more quintessentially Andre than his early-1990s wardrobe?

Though Nike wouldn't cooperate with Blake's original plan -- which had the fifth-seeded player wearing a different vintage Agassi look in each round -- the company agreed to remake the 1990 outfit for his second-round Open match.

No denim shorts, though. Pointing out that the material might take him off his game, Nike refused to grant that portion of the request.

West Coast Ace
09-03-2006, 02:40 PM
sloe, quit while you're behind. Your correlation to Jordan is completely bogus. At least Jordan was still out there in the public eye when he first 'retired' from the NBA - . AA's been a part-timer for a long time. Sorry but they are just human billboards. By all accounts Agassi expected a much larger fee (donation to his Foundation) than his sporadic play merited. That's business - nothing personal.

Blake wearing the throwbacks was a show of respect. I don't see Nike making any money off of it - I doubt they'll re-release that look - wouldn't appeal to the people who can afford the gear - the Fed/Nadal lines are fine, IMHO (I'm buying enough of it).

El Diablo
09-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Couch
Heard of any Nike many going to a foundation of Jordan's? Me neither. Tax-exempt foundations have to make their records available for public scrutiny.

Steve Huff
09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Even clothing manufacturers like their clothing reaching the finals. Agassi was merely the chauffeur, and he had quit driving them to their destination. So, they fired him. They didn't count on him rehabbing his game and coming back. They made a bad decision. Probably wasn't the first, and probably won't be the last. They've made some really good decisions too, which will more than compensate for the bad ones.

PBODY99
09-04-2006, 03:32 AM
If the companies would rerelease some of the styles from the past, it would make some of us older oplayers happy. The vintage Mac shirt< checkerboard stripe across the chest> got my money when it was released. As a side note, the final US Open shirt AA wore is not a stock YOC shirt. The differences are three stripes on the sleeve, notched rear on the neck.:cool:

Rabbit
09-04-2006, 06:07 AM
When Agassi hit 141 in the world, Nike was with him. Nike was with him until last season. I suspect that his wife's relationship with Adidas had more than a little to do with Agassi jumping ship from Nike and signing with Adidas. Adidas agreed to give money to his foundation, and in an amount that Nike wouldn't pay. The discussion I heard on TV was that they couldn't believe that Agassi left Nike after being with them from the beginning.

Agassi and Graf(?) both have lifetime contracts with Head too.

Thud and blunder
09-05-2006, 07:34 AM
(swimming against the tide here, but here goes...)
I think this whole homage to Agassi thing is a silly idea; how does repeating someone's fashion blunders show homage / respect / whatever. To my eye, it just looks ridiculous.
That gear was specific to a certain time and a certain place and a certain punky kid with a peroxide mullet...to trot it out again just seems pointless.

Tchocky
09-05-2006, 11:34 AM
It was totally Blakes's idea. He said he came up with the idea at Wimbledon. Blake got Nike to remake Andre's old wardrobe. I think that was pretty cool of Nike.

chiru
09-05-2006, 05:11 PM
are they gonna do like a retro re-issue?

JerodT
09-05-2006, 05:20 PM
If the companies would rerelease some of the styles from the past, it would make some of us older oplayers happy. The vintage Mac shirt< checkerboard stripe across the chest> got my money when it was released. As a side note, the final US Open shirt AA wore is not a stock YOC shirt. The differences are three stripes on the sleeve, notched rear on the neck.:cool:

Mine has the 3 stripes and the notch in the rear collar. I got it about a month ago.

I don't think Nike fired AA. I thought he left them.

DFWLoop
09-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Who cares what Nike or Addidas thinks or says. Blake did this for Andre and AA only.

mctennis
09-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Same thing when Sampras retired. they gotta get it when they can. It's all business.

balongbalong
09-10-2006, 08:04 PM
funny how some compared how nike treated jordan vs agassi. there's no comparison of their marketability. its the jordan effect you're talking about.

as for nike capitalizing, hey you can never tell... there are rumors of a retro tech challenges come april 2007 so who knows if they will release the apparel as well.

morten
09-12-2006, 02:02 AM
When Agassi hit 141 in the world, Nike was with him. Nike was with him until last season. I suspect that his wife's relationship with Adidas had more than a little to do with Agassi jumping ship from Nike and signing with Adidas. Adidas agreed to give money to his foundation, and in an amount that Nike wouldn't pay. The discussion I heard on TV was that they couldn't believe that Agassi left Nike after being with them from the beginning.

I am with you on this one. :)

Duzza
09-12-2006, 04:33 AM
wow i didn't even take this into consideration. Thats how pointless the topic is. Agassi was a legend. When he was he wore those clothes. End.

vitasGremembered
09-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Nike did not abandon Agassi, as someone pointed out they were together up until last year, just before the Open. Agassi was still a top 10 player. That's hardly abandonment.

Blake's tribute was awesome. Love it or hate it, the message hit home because it reminded everyone of Agassi, that's the point of a tribute right?

Jack the Hack
09-13-2006, 11:18 AM
…didn't Nike cut off ties from Andre when his rankings dropped to the 500s (or even lower) during the Brooke Shields Era?

Nike did abandon Andre. I used to but all of their stuff, which was hard as hell to find in local shops in the DC Metro area. I've read that Phl Knight is the ultimate ***. I have no respect for them doing this.

Who abandoned who?

Nike signed Agassi to a multimillion dollar contract in 1988, when he first broke into the top 10. Then, at the beginning of 1995, Nike resigned Agassi to a 10 year deal for $120 million. Basically, the company invested almost $200 million dollars into Agassi over a 17 year period, and they had one of the most successful brand association relationships in tennis. However, when his contract expired in January 2005, Nike wanted to resign Agassi, but he wanted more than they were willing to pay (considering he was almost 35 and nearing the end of his career). Agassi wanted a cash grab for his foundation, and Nike was unwilling to give it (especially with players like Federer, Nadal, and Sharapova eating up the endorsement dollars). If anybody was disloyal, you would think it was Agassi for leaving a company that had made him so rich. However, you also can’t blame him either for accepting a dumptruck full of cash from Adidas, considering a lot of it is going to his charter school. When it comes down to it, this wasn’t a marriage… it was just business.

As for Nike “abandoning” Agassi when he dropped in the rankings, that is baloney. That low period for him was in 1997, which was just two years into his 1995 contract. Nike was paying him $12 million dollars a year in cash and stock during that time.

Rabbit, I think this right on.

Regarding the deals with Head, I have heard that they are lifetime contracts. The funny thing is that Graf is promoting Head now, but I don’t remember her ever playing with one of their racquets when she was on tour. I remember her using the Dunlop and then the Wilson racquets, so I was kind of surprised with the sudden association with Head. However, like Agassi’s sudden love for Adidas, I believe Graf got a package deal with Head because of Andre.