PDA

View Full Version : my forehand video

emcee
09-01-2006, 02:51 PM
This is me returning some ball machine shots. They're mostly forehands. Wondering what you guys think and what level (approx.) my FH would be. Also do you think I should work on more of a loop or is it possible to be a high level player with the small backswing I have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgTA2bKSFY

Steven87
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM
This is me returning some ball machine shots. They're mostly forehands. Wondering what you guys think and what level (approx.) my FH would be. Also do you think I should work on more of a loop or is it possible to be a high level player with the small backswing I have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgTA2bKSFY
Work on your shoulder turn more so you can explode. A tip is to put your non dominant hand parallel from the net to ensure it

str33t
09-01-2006, 03:02 PM
also try bringing you racquet back with your non-dominant hand to insure shoulder rotation, like steven said.

tennistim777
09-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Your swing looks good to me. You do have a short back swing, but it looks very consistant. If that is what works for you and the ball goes where your aiming it, I don't see any problems. You may not get all the power you want, though. Try to demo different racquets and string tensions if you find power to be a problem. Good luck!!

drakulie
09-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Your swing looks good to me. You do have a short back swing, but it looks very consistant. If that is what works for you and the ball goes where your aiming it, I don't see any problems. Good luck!!

Copy that. Nice swing. As you improve it will get better and you will start hitting a bit harder. Also, the short takeback will be a plus on return of serves. 3.5-4.0 range.

Good luck with your game, thanks for sharing the video with us.

nopiforyou
09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Whoa! No way. You hit your forehand a lot like mine at times. Except my follow through is a bit more to my left hip instead of my left shoulder like yours. But, it's still pretty similar which I find surprising, because a lot of people say my forehand is very unique and new to them. At one forehand when you were on the run I see you did the Nadal move where you finish over your head. I can't do that for some reason. I agree with everyone here on the backswing and shoulder turn. I used to have a bad shoulder turn and seeing as you use an open stance forehand, shoulders, arm, and upper body are one of the most important features of this forehand. I used to not rotate my shoulders that much and the ball wouldn't get as much topspin and seems to go 3-5 feet off from where I actually wanted it to go. To get your shoulder moving back as much as possible, get your left shoulder to follow your right going clockwise. This kinda forces your right (hitting) shoulder to move more as well. I can't believe your forehand looks so similar to mine. That's awesome. What grip do you use?

pharper
09-01-2006, 08:37 PM
It looks like you may be pulling off of the ball somewhat. You're almost leaning back at contact. Put your shoulder into the ball a bit more and make sure it doesn't come up above the back shoulder. You look a bit more stable on your backhand.

Sweden
09-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Jim Courier is back ;) That forehand is Courierish!!!

Backhand swing is nice, I would suggest more loopy backswing on forehand. Just before your takeback it seems as if you are going for the loopy one but then changes and pull you racket down to your hip.

emcee
09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Thx for the comments. I use a Semi-Western or a Western...I'm not exactly sure which. My PTR guy told me it was a Western, I think, but it's the same grip as when I pick a racquet off the ground so I think it's semi-western.

I tried for some time to use a loop on my forehand, using my left hand to kind of push my racquet up (like Roddick seems to do, I think) so it would loop but then drop immediately into my normal swing. Maybe I'll put a vid of that up but it looks horrid. But I don't really have problems getting pace from my forehand though the swing is small.

I have noticed in videos I take that I do lean back sometimes at contact. It's something I ought to work on I suppose.

Is there anyone here that's a 5.0 or anything that still uses a short backswing like I do? If there are a few then I guess I don't have to loop it. But if there aren't, I guess I got to change. Sigh. It's really hard to do though.

Maybe I should try hitting it more often on the rise so that my short backswing will help me?

limitup
09-02-2006, 12:31 PM
As someone who almost broke my ankle stepping on a ball, that video makes me cringe. I highly suggest you don't practice with balls sitting on the ground a few feet from where you are moving around. A rolled or busted ankle is close to being one of the most painful things you will ever experience!

sibosobe
09-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow! I am in the same boat as nopiforyou. Your forehand looks a lot like what I think mine looks like. I think your backhand looks better/more textbook, but maybe the three of us can revoluntionize the forehand! Well, I'm kinda busy with college and research, so I'll leave it up to you two to do it for me :)

I do have to admit though, sometimes I play full swingers who seem to just overpower me unless I get set early. Then again, those guys are usually 50+ pounds heavier than me, so that may explain it.

EDIT: I should add, I like playing almost on top of the baseline. And for practice, I return serve halfway between the service and baseline. So I think yeah, hitting on the rise is faciliated by this backswing.

emcee
09-04-2006, 10:53 PM
It's kind of a shame because I like to bang away from behind the baseline with lots of topspin. I guess I can still do that when I get away with it but should practice hitting on the rise for playing people who can do that better than me. Any other opinions on my FH?

p.s. I thought my backhand rots. Look how I jerk completely upright during the shot. Ugh.

andyroddick's mojo
09-04-2006, 11:37 PM
lol, well we can't really tell if those shots went in or not, but just by your form you look like a 3.0 to 3.5. Have you considered using a bigger wind back? seems like you would have trouble with higher shots. you also look a little late on your backhand. make sure you really turn your core then release your coil. on your forehand, with your takeback, try and taking it back a little bit further, and swinging a little bit harder.

VolklVenom
09-05-2006, 12:03 AM
your forehand looks like a ping-pong shot.
Do you play alot of table tennis?

emcee
09-05-2006, 12:06 AM
andyroddick's mojo...

The backhands also look weird because the ball machine was supposed to feed my only forehands but somehow managed to slip me a few backhands.

I'm going to try out for club tennis so maybe I can get a better idea of how good I am...but I've almost never had a problem with power except when playing people way better than me. Maybe I should put up another vid with me trying to hit the ball as hard as I can?

emcee
09-05-2006, 12:11 AM
your forehand looks like a ping-pong shot.
Do you play alot of table tennis?

No and when I do, I play with a semi-western.

I think I better just join the USTA and enter a few tourneys! I appreciate the comments but it's not really clearing up what my NTRP rating is. My tennis pro also told met that I could enter 3.0, 3.5, or 4.0 tournies, and I guess that's the general impression here.