PDA

View Full Version : Handling nerves before or during a match?

tennistim777
09-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Hello, everyone!! How do you handle or calm your nerves before, or during, an important match? How do you keep your anxiety or stress level in check?? Thanks!!

Steven87
09-01-2006, 02:24 PM
You really can't...no matter what you do. Pro's like Agassi still have nerves.

Bagumbawalla
09-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Steven87 is correct. At best, try to treat a match no differently than any other practice session. Easy said.

Many people will work themselves up with the "specialness" of the match-- wear a new shirt, new shoes, practice differently, have a special meal, put extra pressures on themselves.

Don't do those kinds of things. It's the best I can suggest.

No it isn't. Actually the best thing is to be totally self-confident in your game. To do that-- practice until you are boringly consitant-- it's more work, but really better advice.

LuckyR
09-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Ok, here is a pearl: shriek like Sharapova...

sdslyout
09-02-2006, 09:55 AM
It's called a 'game face ' . no emotions , no distractions , focus on YOUR game
the person your playing is nothing , no matter how well that person hits the ball.
You miss a shot , an easy shot don't say anything to yourself, show no weakness .If you feel wound up dig deep within yourself and come up with a situation that just ****es you off . Get mad !! feel the anger, now the person on the other side of the court gets to feel your anger. Un-leash that pinned up anger. not so much that you can't see straight or hit the ball out of sight but use it to add an aggressive factor . I think of it as an out-put level so when i walk out on the court i click the switch and my out-put level jumps to 85-90 %
never, never 100% have to save some to go the distance if you don't you'll run out of gas , and then what are you going to do . try it .