PDA

View Full Version : cool website

looseswing
09-01-2006, 04:54 PM
http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/

Haven't had a chance to go through the vids yet myself, but seems pretty useful.

TylerWeekes
09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
It is very cool! I downloaded this one: http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/Fed_grip_change.m4v

I think I am going to start a new thread on whether or not you should try to or teach changing grips on the volley. Many people do not think so, but in high performance lectures and in slow motion videos you see the best volleyers make subtle changes toward the eastern bevels all the time.

It is like Vic Braden says, if you had time to move your feet, you had time to change your grip because the hands are faster than the feet! Fundamental and intelligent at the same time!

-Tyler:D

migjam
09-02-2006, 11:31 AM
I can't seem to get subscribed. The link fails for me.

looseswing
09-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Dunno why it fails for you, I tried and got it. About half the videos are crap and the other half are alright. Some of them have good vids of pros hitting and some good ideas, although some of their info. is off. Try searching it in the itunes music store.

andyroddick's mojo
09-02-2006, 01:31 PM
wow, how'd you get to this website? punahou school is located in honolulu, hawaii, where I live, and i've got to say, they're the best on the island. right now i go to iolani school which is like punahou's rival, and punahou has almost always bested out tennis team. they're always #1, and we're always #2. we've been trying really hard to beat them, and hopefully we will this year.

looseswing
09-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I was just watching some vids on youtube and this website popped up and I went on it and here I am.

ipodtennispro
09-12-2006, 11:56 PM
If you would like to contribute to our site, please go to www.ipodtennispros.com and read about this project. Or, if you have iTunes, search "Tennis" in the podcasts and look for Tennis Pod Pro Videos.

ipodtennispro

deluxe
09-13-2006, 03:01 AM
It is very cool! I downloaded this one: http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/Fed_grip_change.m4v

I think I am going to start a new thread on whether or not you should try to or teach changing grips on the volley. Many people do not think so, but in high performance lectures and in slow motion videos you see the best volleyers make subtle changes toward the eastern bevels all the time.

I'm struggling to see the grips in that video. Just not very high quality.

deluxe
09-13-2006, 03:10 AM
In particular, in the Federer video on the high volley, it is impossible to see the ball. Is the frame they pause on before contact or after contact? How can you tell when you can't see the ball? Also, on the high volley, most of the backswing is obscured by the big logo at the top.

w00gy
09-13-2006, 03:45 AM
i like the movies with johnny rozesstta

ipodtennispro
09-13-2006, 10:27 AM
In particular, in the Federer video on the high volley, it is impossible to see the ball. Is the frame they pause on before contact or after contact? How can you tell when you can't see the ball? Also, on the high volley, most of the backswing is obscured by the big logo at the top.

Sorry about the low resolution on the videos, however, they would take forever to download if they were higher quality. Don't worry, technology is moving at very fast rate, within a year or two they will be full quality. You will have to grap your racket and similate the exact racket angle that Federer is in at each of these positions. It is anatomically impossible to flex your grip back at that angle without changing grips. Likewise, with the Johnny Rozetto forehand tips, you cannot hit the forehand like he is showing unless you have a full semi-western or western grip. The grip dictates the backswing. Try pointing the butt of your racket to the ground with a continental grip and hit topspin. That is a recipe for tennis elbow.

www.ipodtennispros.com

deluxe
09-13-2006, 02:55 PM
You will have to grap your racket and similate the exact racket angle that Federer is in at each of these positions. It is anatomically impossible to flex your grip back at that angle without changing grips.

On even a slightly off center hit, the racket can rotate in the hand, so whenever you're looking at video to determine a players grip, you have to look at the frames before contact. It is impossible to tell if it is before contact in your video because you can't see the ball.

ipodtennispro
09-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Believe what you want, however, Federer does not shank on his volleys where the racket would turn in his hand, only on his excessive topspin groundstrokes would he hit off center. I am working another volley right now which shows Roddicks eastern forehand low volley. He does not use a Contintental grip and he continually pops up his forehand volley. So, bottom line is, you must use a continental grip on low volleys and eastern grips can be used when the ball is about the white band. If you stand one inch from the net you can use a fry pandle handle grip and smash it away.

www.ipodtennispro.com

deluxe
09-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Believe what you want, however, Federer does not shank on his volleys where the racket would turn in his hand, only on his excessive topspin groundstrokes would he hit off center.

Shanking is not an off-center hit. Federer will certainly hit some of his volleys off-center in match play. But even if it is extremely rare for Federer to hit a volley off-center, if you are trying to show his grip, you either have to show a video where we can see the ball, or analyze a frame that is obviously before contact.

I'm not saying Federer doesn't use an EFH grip on high volleys. I'm just saying that your video doesn't show that he does.

ipodtennispro
09-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Boy, your a tough sell! At least your in agreement that the high forehand volley is used with the Eastern forehand grip. Unfortunately, the higher resolution clips cannot upload onto the movable type platform that I use for the website. That clip of Federer has been downloaded in 71 different countries and averages 30 downloads a day. As long as I can influence as many people as I have I am happy witht the MESSAGE that the clip gives. Back to my movie making.

Good Luck with your volley(whatever grip your using),

www.ipodtennispro.com