PDA

View Full Version : My footwork is horrible!!!

edberg505
09-01-2006, 05:49 PM
OK, so after giving it a lot of thought I decided to play in this Labour Day tournament here in NM. Basically, it's a way for the coaches at UNM to get an idea of what they're new players look like. I wasn't expecting much of myself because I don't play as often as I would like. So, I go in and low and behold I have to play one of the new freshmen players. He's from Colorado and was apparently a very good junior player(has played in the nationals in Kalamazoo) and all I could think of was crap I'd better play my *** off or I will get bagled. So, we start off the warm up and I can barely keep a ball in the court with my groundies. But my volleys were on point which is really all that I need anyways. So, we start playing and the guy has a huge serve. Took me a whole set just to get used to it. I don't see guys serve that big around here. So I win the toss and elect to serve. Immediately I am broken. I contribute that to nerves. He serves and basically hits 4 unreturnables. So, now I'm thinking well this kinda sucks. I'm just gonna go after everything. Next game I am serving lights out aces wide, aces down the middle, unreturnables. I was also volleying very well. I really wasn't exptecting that since I really only hit like once a week and that's if I'm lucky. Anyways, the next game I have a breakpoint against him and he throws down an ace. I now have a rhythm on my serve and now it's basically a serving contest to see who holds. And this is where the footwork comes into play. I could barely return any of his serves. I think it's partially because I don't ever see serves with that much pop and action on it. If my footwork was better it would have been a much closer match than what it was, I played well but he won all of the big points. He ended up winning 6-2, 6-2. Of course it didn't help that I had a very bad case of shin splints. Holy crap does that hurt. Anyways, even though I lost this match served as a good confidence builder. I know that I can give just about anyone a tough match if I keep my head in it and am picking my spots right on my serve. Can't wait til the next tournament(hopefully I would have practiced more by then).

zhan
09-01-2006, 05:59 PM
jump ropes

Mahboob Khan
09-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Jump ropes, short sprints, and play lots of points and matches. Have someone serve to you from inside the baseline to train your reaction time.

ramseszerg
09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Pretend you're Federer in your head when playing.

Bagumbawalla
09-01-2006, 07:06 PM
A "footwork" problem usually involves more than just footwork problems.

Timing/anticipation are usually the main suspects, here. When you play against players that push you to react too fast, throw off-pace shots at you, or force you to hit out of your "comfort zone" --you feel awkward. You hit late.

Footwork is, of course, closely related to timing-- and it is all related to having good basics, anticipation, preparation, form, (don't forget timing), co-ordination, and fitness.

Practice against a wall. Get progressively closer, take baby steps, find your balance, watch the ball, watch the ball, watch that ball.

Do push-ups and sit-ups to tone arms and increase reaction and rotation speed.

Find stairs and run up and down, shifting side to side, taking double stairs, single stairs, backing up, etc.

Jump rope was a good idea.

Practice juggling tennis balls to increase hand/eye co-ordiination.

work out on a stair-type machine with your eyes closed to increase your balance. Practice strokes-- also eyes closed.

Play different kinds of players, especially those that are awkward for you to play. It will make you better.

This should, at least, get you started.

Don't try to play like Federer----yet.

Good luck,

B

Swissv2
09-01-2006, 07:41 PM
edberg505, my friend, its training time! wewt! :mrgreen:

Ky0shiro
09-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Did you happen to catch the name of the Colorado guy you played?

edberg505
09-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Did you happen to catch the name of the Colorado guy you played?

Jordan Wasden. He is a very good player.

edberg505
09-01-2006, 09:02 PM
edberg505, my friend, its training time! wewt! :mrgreen:

LOL, I agree. But time is the issue. There are just not enough hours in the day for me.

Bungalo Bill
09-01-2006, 09:59 PM
OK, so after giving it a lot of thought I decided to play in this Labour Day tournament here in NM. Basically, it's a way for the coaches at UNM to get an idea of what they're new players look like. I wasn't expecting much of myself because I don't play as often as I would like. So, I go in and low and behold I have to play one of the new freshmen players. He's from Colorado and was apparently a very good junior player(has played in the nationals in Kalamazoo) and all I could think of was crap I'd better play my *** off or I will get bagled. So, we start off the warm up and I can barely keep a ball in the court with my groundies. But my volleys were on point which is really all that I need anyways. So, we start playing and the guy has a huge serve. Took me a whole set just to get used to it. I don't see guys serve that big around here. So I win the toss and elect to serve. Immediately I am broken. I contribute that to nerves. He serves and basically hits 4 unreturnables. So, now I'm thinking well this kinda sucks. I'm just gonna go after everything. Next game I am serving lights out aces wide, aces down the middle, unreturnables. I was also volleying very well. I really wasn't exptecting that since I really only hit like once a week and that's if I'm lucky. Anyways, the next game I have a breakpoint against him and he throws down an ace. I now have a rhythm on my serve and now it's basically a serving contest to see who holds. And this is where the footwork comes into play. I could barely return any of his serves. I think it's partially because I don't ever see serves with that much pop and action on it. If my footwork was better it would have been a much closer match than what it was, I played well but he won all of the big points. He ended up winning 6-2, 6-2. Of course it didn't help that I had a very bad case of shin splints. Holy crap does that hurt. Anyways, even though I lost this match served as a good confidence builder. I know that I can give just about anyone a tough match if I keep my head in it and am picking my spots right on my serve. Can't wait til the next tournament(hopefully I would have practiced more by then).

Footwork is the pattern your feet take to bring you to position to hit the ball and the pattern you use for recovery. Being efficient and effective with your footwork is critical especially for singles. How fast you move your feet within patterns is footspeed. Both work together and both are important. Drills to help your footwork are:

1. Pattern drills

Drills to work on footspeed that compliments your footwork are:

1. Jump rope
2. Hexagon drill
3. Suicides
4. Sampras drill
5. Sprints
6. Butt kicks
7. etc..

zhan
09-01-2006, 10:53 PM
can you explain and elaborate on pattern drills?