PDA

View Full Version : Need help to get more kick out of topspin serve!

TennisAce101
09-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I recently changed my second serve into a topspin serve. But i noticed i don't seem to get the kick i want. Any tips?

MasterTS
09-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Many tricks to increase your RPMs on a serve.

Easiest thing to do is change your toss more to the left, and you can try a backhand grip.

fx101
09-02-2006, 11:20 AM
As you approach the ball bring the racquet under and behind the ball, explode up with your knees and brush straight up. The lower the racquet is under the ball when you begin your swing at it, the more kick. Also bring your toss left.

LuckyR
09-04-2006, 10:16 AM
One caveat to the above mentioned correct answer. Yes switching to the Eastern BH grip will get you more spin and hence more consistency. But it is common when going for maximum spin to shank or frame the ball on occasion. Which is fine on a first serve but you may freak when it's on your second.

theartoftennis
09-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Practice makes perfect.

mahouFuji
09-04-2006, 11:46 AM
the way i was taught is to have the same serve for both and second because ur using different grips and different tosses so it might mess u up

TylerWeekes
09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
the way i was taught is to have the same serve for both and second because ur using different grips and different tosses so it might mess u up

Sampras used the same grip on his first and second and created the highest RPMs the second serve when Yandell did the Study on ball rotation : http://www.advancedtennis.com/results/servemen.htm

So he did not switch the grip but still got more kick. So there must be a biomechanical reason....

You must mantain shoulder rotation, internal rotation of the upper arm, and forearm pronation to achieve racket head speed, which in turn, if the racket is put on the correct path for a topspin serve, will produce lots of spin and speed:D Changing the grip and the toss will not in themselves produce racket head speed.

Blocking the chest is the best way to get the racket to swing on a more low to high plane to produce spin. Hope that helps.

-Tyler:D