PDA

View Full Version : Which Pro has the best 1 hand backhand to emulate?

limitup
09-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Title says it all. Federer's backhand is insane but I don't think it's a good one to try to copy LOL. So who do you think has a technically "correct" 1h backhand that would be good to study?

nViATi
09-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Haas has a nice and simple one to model off of.

Mick
09-02-2006, 12:34 PM
it's difficult to hit the topspin backhand like the pros do. I would be very happy if i could hit the slices as well as they do.

str33t
09-02-2006, 12:39 PM
blake's is pretty simple.

TennsDog
09-02-2006, 12:39 PM
That's the nice thing about the one-hander, it's practically impossible to not hit it right (within reason, obviously). Any one-handed backhand on the pro tour looks good and is sound. Two tips I would say, though, are just to keep your shoulders still through contact as well as keeping your wrist firm. Do these two things and you should be in good shape.

ceejay
09-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Theres a thread somewhere about who has the best 1hb presently. I'm not sure if the best would necessarily be the easiest to copy though. I voted for Gasquet or Henin.

I've found it:http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=117439

I read somewhere recently that Johnny Mac reckons, technically, Henin has the best shot out of anyone. He usually knows his stuff.

ShcMad
09-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Gasquet's is definitely not an easy shot to copy.

Haas, Gaudio, Calleri, Volandri's backhands are easier to copy yet effective.

TennsDog
09-02-2006, 01:19 PM
The OP was about the "best" backhand to copy, not the "easiest." There is a huge difference. Just because something is tough to do doesn't mean it isn't the best. Sampras has a rather difficult serve to copy, yet doing so did wonders for my serve. When you emulate tough shots, it takes much more time and focus to do, but it will likely be worth it. Anyway, I like Haas's backhand.

ShcMad
09-02-2006, 01:46 PM
The OP was about the "best" backhand to copy, not the "easiest." There is a huge difference. Just because something is tough to do doesn't mean it isn't the best. Sampras has a rather difficult serve to copy, yet doing so did wonders for my serve. When you emulate tough shots, it takes much more time and focus to do, but it will likely be worth it. Anyway, I like Haas's backhand.

Are you talking to me? If so, I was trying to agree with the poster before me (ceejay). I didn't read the OP's question carefully, so I apologize for saying something "totally different".

To the OP, I wasn't trying to scare you from copying tough-looking backhands. It's just hard to do it, but it pays off at the end.

Nextman916
09-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Srichipans is just a block back basically.

ps 6.0
09-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Henin-Hardenne and for those who don't like the ladies, Guga.

quest01
09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
If you want to emulate a pro's backhand i would have to say Pete Sampras, he has the best backhand in the business. His backhand was a big part of his success in reaching 14 majors.

sibosobe
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Henin-Hardenne and for those who don't like the ladies, Guga.

Haha wow! Back when Guga was winning the French Open (before I was forced to switch to 2H), I thought his backhand was so beautiful that I tried to emulate it, extreme grip, crazy backswing and all. I got good speed and angles, too.

After I fully switched to 2H, I tried playing around with the Guga backhand again, and I actually did something painful to my shoulder.

Back to this thread's topic, I vote Henin for best backhand to copy.

mctennis
09-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I liked Alex Corretja's backhand shot.
I think he had the nicest smoothest and best backhand I'd ever seen. I always liked to see him play.

theace21
09-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Player from a few years ago - Edberg. So smooth.

freak-of-nature
09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
pavel... beautiful

MasterTS
09-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Lots of beautiful and big backhands, but the easiest to emulate is Haas. It's as basic as it gets and shows you don't need anything fancy or flashy to be effective!

ucd_ace
09-03-2006, 01:43 AM
I copied Haas's one-hander and it led me to have the best backhand of anyone I know, and also a lot of people comment on how great it looks.

The ultimate compliment I get is when I hit with someone for awhile who's my level or better that has a two hander and they start asking me to show them how to hit a one-hander.

Verbal_Kint
09-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Sjeng Schalken's is just about the most basic one I know.

migjam
09-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Definatley Haas. He has a very clean and effective backhand

armand
09-03-2006, 07:18 AM
All you need to be told to do a good BH is

1. turn your back toward the court
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2006/05/08/2002981056.jpg

2. Keep your hand above the racquet head
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/825000/images/_825198_sampras_backhand150.jpg

the rest is all up to your god given talent.

SydneyJim
09-03-2006, 12:36 PM
federer or gonzales

Bungalo Bill
09-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Two tips I would say, though, are just to keep your shoulders still through contact as well as keeping your wrist firm. Do these two things and you should be in good shape.

Nice tips, wish it were that easy. :)

odessa
09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
All you need to be told to do a good BH is

1. turn your back toward the court
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2006/05/08/2002981056.jpg

2. Keep your hand above the racquet head
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/825000/images/_825198_sampras_backhand150.jpg

the rest is all up to your god given talent.

Keeping your hand above the racket hand ?

At contact. I dont think so.

Before contact it is happening with the pros but for most players this spells even more disaster. In fact the opposite tip to not let your racket fall below the hand is the better way to go for 95 % of all club players.

stormholloway
09-03-2006, 07:29 PM
If you want to emulate a pro's backhand i would have to say Pete Sampras, he has the best backhand in the business. His backhand was a big part of his success in reaching 14 majors.

Best backhand in the business? I'm not so sure about that. Correction: I definitely disagree with that. I always thought his backhand was rather attackable. He didn't like hitting it high, hence is lack of success at the French.

It was a good backhand but not that great.

armand
09-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Keeping your hand above the racket hand ?

At contact. I dont think so.

Before contact it is happening with the pros but for most players this spells even more disaster. In fact the opposite tip to not let your racket fall below the hand is the better way to go for 95 % of all club players.No, I said keep your hand above the racquet head, so gravity is not working against you. I always try to do this and I never had a disaster.

Most of the time pros actually have the racquet head level with the hand by the time of ball kontact as they use their wrist more to get topspin. It's more difficult to time, so that's why klub players shouldn't do it often.

Tim Set Match
09-03-2006, 09:20 PM
No, I said keep your hand above the racquet head, so gravity is not working against you. I always try to do this and I never had a disaster.

Most of the time pros actually have the racquet head level with the hand by the time of ball kontact as they use their wrist more to get topspin. It's more difficult to time, so that's why klub players shouldn't do it often.

Hand above the racquet head at contact? Where did you get this tip from?

I haven't been coaching for very long but I always thought the racquet should be parallel to the ground (i.e. hand exactly in line with the middle of the racquet head) at contact. The same is true for the forehand.

I've seen some beginners make contact with their hand above the racquet head, and that leads to them ending with their hand above the racquet head also (you're supposed to end with the racquet pointing straight up in the air). They can't get much pace on their backhands and it gets a bit of sidespin on it.

I think the only time you would want to have your hand above the racquet head is if you were trying to generate topspin. And even then, it happens before and not during contact.

For example, here is Hennin-Hardenne before contact:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060826/capt.533bde69745c44528bf39dc5a734a4ea.new_haven_te nnis_ctrc116.jpg

And here she is during contact:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060826/capt.a87d14dcb5e948d9b33eda5757b07f3a.new_haven_te nnis_ctrc111.jpg

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

armand
09-03-2006, 10:59 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060826/capt.a87d14dcb5e948d9b33eda5757b07f3a.new_haven_te nnis_ctrc111.jpg

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!Well, I said the pros usually have the racquet level, but even this unknown pro has her hand above the racquet head.

If you do it like this, you do get less topspin, but the timing is easier because only your elbow and wrist are working and your wrist is still. And you're not fighting gravity so much with the weaker muscles.

Where'd I get the tip from? I guess just from myself, after hitting the shot for years and seeing what works.

Maybe we're getting different ideas because I don't like to hit with the straight elbow either. I use it for reach, but I lose power if the elbow isn't helping out.

BreakPoint
09-03-2006, 11:07 PM
:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060826/capt.533bde69745c44528bf39dc5a734a4ea.new_haven_te nnis_ctrc116.jpg

Hmmm....off topic, but did Henin-Hardenne switch to a nBlade paintjob?

Anyway, keys to hitting a good 1HBH are:

1. Turn sideways and point your hitting shoulder at the ball (so your feet are in line with the path of the ball).
2. Hit the ball well out in front.
3. Bend your front knee to allow you to swing from low to high.
4. Plant your front foot and then swing smoothly with your arm while keeping the rest of your body and head still.
5. Do not raise your body up until you have finished following through.

darkavgr
09-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Ljubicic's backhand is one of the best on the men's tour...

darkavgr
09-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Ljubicic's backhand is one of the best on the men's tour...
his backhand slices are sweet too...

35ft6
09-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Saulnier, Pavel, and Schalken.

wEstSidE.cAmpEr
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Ken Rosewall. http://www.operationdoubles.com/index.htm -> shot making tips -> backhand

rfprse
09-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Title says it all. Federer's backhand is insane but I don't think it's a good one to try to copy LOL. So who do you think has a technically "correct" 1h backhand that would be good to study?
The backhands like Pavel's (or Haas's which has little more 'mordern' flavor) would fit the description.

zhan
09-05-2006, 02:00 PM
ugh... a good clean backhand check out henin hardenne (it doesnt matter if u model it from the best female player does it?)
she uses Semi-Western grip...

Mick
09-05-2006, 02:23 PM
ugh... a good clean backhand check out henin hardenne (it doesnt matter if u model it from the best female player does it?)
she uses Semi-Western grip...

haha. Actually, I prefer copying the techniques from the female pros because i think I would have a better chance of getting them right. The male pros hit the ball too hard, it's impossible for me to copy them. That applies to some female pros too.

zhan
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
haha. Actually, I prefer copying the techniques from the female pros because i think I would have a better chance of getting them right. The male pros hit the ball too hard, it's impossible for me to copy them. That applies to some female pros too.

i agree...
but normal WTA player's technique isnt really designed for the male player like the 2hbh with arms bent ...
but JHH's backhand is very smooth and finishes clean so it has modeling potential...
i am trying to change 2hbh to JHH-esque 1hbh at the moment...

Ano
09-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Player from a few years ago - Edberg. So smooth.

100 % agre with you.

Hondasteve
09-05-2006, 08:33 PM
After watching last night's match-Gasquet all the way!

VolklVenom
09-05-2006, 08:45 PM
how can anyone go past Federer on this one. I mean, really!

stormholloway
09-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I felt my backhand improved greatly when I stopped trying to copy the nuances of pro backhands and simplified it:

I picked the right grip, took the racquet back, and then just let the racquet fly through the plane. Lately I've been making small adjustments with the wrist to produce spin and angle. With a nice wrist flick I can actually produce nice crosscourt side spin. Up the line is a little tricker.

Oh, and don't forget to shift the weight forward during the shot.

zhan
09-05-2006, 09:33 PM
for the federer, gasquet crowd...
its really hard to hit with spin and pace and style like a federer 1hbh or gasquet 1hbh...
it requires tremendous timing, technique, strength, and everything in one's arsenal...
its just very demanding...
not a good model... imo...
imo... a good model = something simple that works great.

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Nice tips, wish it were that easy. :)

Why make a comment like that, if you got something better than let's hear it.

He is doing his best to help out and did more than you.

Simple advice is the best advice, and that's why you're not coaching lol j/k:mrgreen:

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 12:14 PM

I haven't been coaching for very long but I always thought the racquet should be parallel to the ground (i.e. hand exactly in line with the middle of the racquet head) at contact. The same is true for the forehand.

I've seen some beginners make contact with their hand above the racquet head, and that leads to them ending with their hand above the racquet head also (you're supposed to end with the racquet pointing straight up in the air). They can't get much pace on their backhands and it gets a bit of sidespin on it.

I think the only time you would want to have your hand above the racquet head is if you were trying to generate topspin. And even then, it happens before and not during contact.

Great pics, really people make thing way too complicated.

A big problem I see a lot of people have is not having the straight arm before contact.

brucie
09-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Henin, sure shes a woman but the best! Considerating size strength etc.

jackofromalsager
09-07-2006, 12:57 PM
awwwww her back hand is amazing i want to try and do it but it aint that simple but my backhand has improved a lot from watching her and taking in wath she doees!

PETE1990
09-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Tommy Haas has a classic one hand backhand.

Stephan Edberg also had a beautiful backhand.

Bungalo Bill
09-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Why make a comment like that, if you got something better than let's hear it.

LOL, look who is stabbing who! Mr. Einstein, do a search, I have wrote plenty about this. I can even send you an article if you want to finally learn. LOL

He is doing his best to help out and did more than you.

Saying "wish it were that easy" is wrong? Sounds like I am getting under the skin of someone. lol

Simple advice is the best advice, and that's why you're not coaching lol j/k:mrgreen:

LOL, why in the world would you put j/k at the end of your comments? I am never kidding with you. I actually think and believe you offer the worst advice of anyone here. My opinion...j/k, j/k, j/k

dennis1188
09-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Tommy Haas, a 'clean hit' bkhd. stroke.

MaxT
09-07-2006, 01:06 PM

You should know most people would disagree with you. I disaggree. Pet's bh is almost a liability. That is the place Agassi said that it is safe to hit to if necessary, his bh.

The only person against whom there is no safe place to hit to is Feb, according to Agassi.

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 01:08 PM
LOL, look who is stabbing who! Mr. Einstein, do a search, I have wrote plenty about this. I can even send you an article if you want to finally learn. LOL

Saying "wish it were that easy" is wrong? Sounds like I am getting under the skin of someone. lol

LOL, why in the world would you put j/k at the end of your comments? I am never kidding with you. I actually think and believe you offer the worst advice of anyone here. My opinion...j/k, j/k, j/k

It's because I feel sorry for you, all your bad karma that keeps bitting you inthe @$$ LOL enjoy:p

Bungalo Bill
09-07-2006, 01:11 PM
It's because I feel sorry for you, all your bad karma that keeps bitting you inthe @$$ LOL enjoy:p

LOL, the only problem I have is your posts. It is so moronic and far out there that someone nees to bring some balance. Very lame post on Rodger and you made a very lame post here.

There is barely any truth in anything you write. Also, I am never kidding with you.

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 01:12 PM
LOL, the only problem I have is your posts. It is so moronic and far out there that someone nees to bring some balance. Very lame post on Rodger and you made a very lame post here.

There is barely any truth in anything you write. Also, I am never kidding with you.

Do something decent with the few years you have left, don't take out all your BS on people on the boards:rolleyes:

It's fine you got what you deserved and you'll get more

Bungalo Bill
09-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Do something decent with the few years you have left, don't take out all your BS on people on the boards:rolleyes:

It's fine you got what you deserved and you'll get more

LOL, but it is only you I am talking to????? Hello?

I am only countering YOUR posts. HELLO????

It is my opinion that you leave out, mislead, misunderstand, provide false information, and give out posts that beg to be countered. I am simply offering my opposite opinion.

If you are going to post, you have to know someone will counter right? Didn't you just do that to my thread in another post? Remember my comment "wish it were that easy". You countered right? ;)

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
LOL, but it is only you I am talking to????? Hello?

I am only countering YOUR posts. HELLO????

It is my opinion that you leave out, mislead, misunderstand, provide false information, and give out posts that beg to be countered. I am simply offering my opposite opinion.

If you are going to post, you have to know someone will counter right? Didn't you just do that to my thread in another post? Remember my comment "wish it were that easy". You countered right?

It's funny how you try to pick a fight with me:mrgreen: ever time you have problems at home.

Look be a man and take care of your problems, I am going to be posting my opinions long after you have expired:p

I just think that it is sad you make snide coments to people on the boards that are trying to help just so that you can make yourself feel better.

But hey that is you and always will be, in the end I really do feel sorry for you cause you are an old angry man, obviously not happy about they way his life is going:confused:

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Do you have any other pics like this, just amazing picks at just he right angles

Bungalo Bill
09-07-2006, 01:39 PM
It's funny how you try to pick a fight with me:mrgreen: ever time you have problems at home.

Look be a man and take care of your problems, I am going to be posting my opinions long after you have expired:p

I just think that it is sad you make snide coments to people on the boards that are trying to help just so that you can make yourself feel better.

But hey that is you and always will be, in the end I really do feel sorry for you cause you are an old angry man, obviously not happy about they way his life is going:confused:

LOL, you still don't get it do you.

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 01:41 PM
LOL, you still don't get it do you.

Alright let's move one;)

shavenyak
09-07-2006, 01:47 PM
IMHO: Lendel

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 01:49 PM

Why do you say that? I have never heard him mentioned and to be honest I have never seen him play, but people everyonce and a while will coment on him?

Bungalo Bill
09-08-2006, 07:49 AM

Lendl had a very good backhand. I would reserve my vote on whether it is one to copy. But certainly, I as well admired the power and placement the man could hit from the backhand side. A beauty indeed. Remember though Lendl used a Continental grip. He had an incredibly strong arm to handle the shots hit to him on that side. He also used a very straight wrist and sometimes his wrist (or hand) was bent back and straightened his hand at contact. In other words, he sort of allowed the racquet to roll back up allowing his wrist to straighten as he made contact. I believe this added a "wrist release" into the ball for a bit more power.

Although I will agree with you that Lendl had a great backhand, I don't know if it is one to copy unless someone wanted to use a Continental grip. Otherwise, he used classic form.

baros
09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
federer's it looks like he is just slapping the ball.
________
launch box (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

Zets147
09-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Srichaphan's BH looks simple enough lol

Roforot
09-09-2006, 05:29 AM
How about Mrs. Agassi? While Steffi was famous for her FH, her slice BH was a very effective/neutralizing shot from the baseline? As I'm working on a 1h-BH, I find I like Slice a lot and really only need Top for passing shots. Part of this is as a lefty, most of my slices are going to people's FHs and that seems to give them fits.

BTW, anyone have posts or pics of Edberg and Graff's backhands? Hey I'm a little oldschool!

siber222000
09-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Gasquet's is definitely not an easy shot to copy.

Haas, Gaudio, Calleri, Volandri's backhands are easier to copy yet effective.
lol of course.. his form is sooo perfect... i dont think anyone can copy that :rolleyes:

and that is probably because his BH isn't effective :rolleyes:
Srichaphan's BH looks simple enough lol

MaxT
09-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Ken Rosewall. http://www.operationdoubles.com/index.htm -> shot making tips -> backhand

It looks like a 3.5 backhand to me. I guess he used it effectively, but by no means elegant.

newnuse
09-15-2006, 11:39 AM
What about Roddick's slice backhand? Any hack could hit like that.

I like Baghdatis.. it's a fairly simple backhand... very nice and clean.... Gasquet's is kinda fancy... I wouldn't copy his

Janne
09-15-2006, 11:52 AM
does anyone have a video of Gasquet hitting the 1HB in slow-motion?

ShcMad
09-15-2006, 12:03 PM
does anyone have a video of Gasquet hitting the 1HB in slow-motion?

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/onehander/videos/gasquet.php

AngeloDS
09-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Pavel is probably the best one handed backhand to emulate. Hardest to emulate because it's so smooth.

But he takes it off the bounce all the time; good eyes, judgment and coordination. Incredible form and it shows as his backhand is one of the best.