PDA

View Full Version : Problem with taking the ball on the rise

Golden Retriever
09-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I have no problem taking the ball on the rise IF I don't have to run to the ball in order to take it on the rise. However, ironically, in order to take the ball on the rise you always have to move to the ball proactively meaning you are always hitting the ball on the run which is not one of my strong attributes.

My question is, is taking the ball on the rise means having to always hitting the ball on the run? Is that why even pros are not using this as their main strategy?

Trinity TC
09-02-2006, 02:55 PM
You don't have to hit them all on the run but you've really got to bust your rear from the get go on this shot. One of the tricks is to put a little extra effort in running so that you can check up your movement before you make contact with the ball. The other trick is to only take a 3/4 turn with your upper body on the backswing, Finish the stroke with your normal follow through. The 3/4 turn gives you the nice compact backswing without screwing up your mechanics and rhythm. Don't worry about spin because you are using your opponent's spin against him or her. Check out slo-mo videos of the half volley (if you can find them) and you'll be surprised at how much the ball spins even though the half volleyer is using a flat "dead block" (sorry 'bout the table tennis reference) shot.

The cool part of getting a handle on this shot is the power and consistency you can generate...which is good when you're playing those pusher/lobbers. Good luck and go nuts!:cool:

Bagumbawalla
09-02-2006, 03:22 PM
If you are hitting from a comfortable distance behind the service line, you may do quite a bit of running. The difference is that you also have time to plant yourself, get a look at the ball, find a rhythm, take an extra beat.

That's the difference six or eight feet can make.

When you move in and decide to play the ball early, you may actually run about the same distance, possibly less, but the time factor makes everything hurried, it makes you scurry, you lose that brief moment to regroup.

So, yes, you have to (if at all possible) become more compact with your strokes. You don't have time to set up, so you have to take little steps so that you are already "in position" when you reach the ball.

The ball is more like a blurry streak (rather than a ball caught at the top of its arc) and timing is everything.

There are, of course, advantages to taking the ball early-- but only if you do it well-- over and over and over again.

Unless you really have the attributes/inclination to persevere at this sort of game the advantages, then, cease to exist.