PDA

View Full Version : Leather Grips

pchoi04
09-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I've used Prince Calfskin and Wilson Leather but I'm looking at getting leather grips for my M-fil 200s. I was wondering how Babolat leather compare to the others.

mJeez4293
09-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I am going to try out leather grips and was wondering what you guys prefer most. babolat wilson or volkl, or other. thanks

OldSchool
09-05-2006, 05:56 PM
In the early 1980's, the Fairway leather grip was the leather grip of choice. The first thing we would do after buying (or receiving) a new racquet was replace the grip with a Fairway.

Leather grips should also be replaced from time to time. They CAN be cleaned, but it is difficult to do so many times without compromising the performance of the grip.

Grips are very personal. While most players chose Fairway grips, other used overgrips (ex: Tournagrip) or synthetic replacement grips that felt like spongey suede or microfibre. The amount a person's hand sweats has a large amount to do with how grips perform. Some people tear up a Tournagrip in on set of play. In other cases, the Tournagrip (or Fairway for that matter) would tear up the players hand by the end of a match. But a high-quality, softer leather grip - like a Fairway - is often the best grip for those who can use them.

mJeez4293
09-05-2006, 06:01 PM
do you know where i can purchase a fairway leather grip or if they offer a sponsorship or preferred price because i am a fairly high ranked junior. does anyone have a comparison between babolat and wilson leather grips also? thanks a lot

stormholloway
09-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Nice info OldSchool but you didn't answer his question. I think Fairway is extinct right? I have Volkl on a pro staff and I think it's great stuff. I've heard it's most like Fairway. I have Wilson on another pro staff and it's nice too.

I like the stuff on my Donnay Borg Pro personally.

OldSchool
09-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Fairway is extinct right?.
I am not so sure Fairway is extinct. Fairway grips are apparently available from several sources on the Internet. They are not widely available though.

Fairway grips are, or were, made by Balmforth of England.

Pete Sampras was one of those players who immediately replace the grip on any new racquet with a Fairway.

OldSchool
09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Fairway is indeed out of business. But the grips are still available at some resellers.

Another highly recommended grip is Volkl. I have not tried these myself.

barry
09-07-2006, 09:22 AM
I used Fairway grips for years, but only have 14 left, so gave the Gamma Leather a try and liked it. It is nice and thick, plus you can oil it, which make it last longer.

Not as good as the Fairways, but you might try the Gamma. They cost about $8

Burt Turkoglu
09-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I am going to try out leather grips and was wondering what you guys prefer most. babolat wilson or volkl, or other. thanks

Volkl....I wouldn't use another....long lasting and superior feel....

maratfan
09-10-2006, 11:28 AM
besides fairways...i love babolat

need2paint
09-10-2006, 01:42 PM
In my experience, Wilson are the thinnest, but they are too smooth. Babolats are rougher but they give you a better grip on the handle. The Head calfskin are somewhere in between.

I've seen brand new Fairway grips at Sport Chalet in L.A. They are nothing special. I used one on an old 6.0 95.

sloe_torture
09-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Pete Sampras was one of those players who immediately replace the grip on any new racquet with a Fairway.

I don't think Sampras uses a leather grip. I occasionally go to his part-time stringer and had the opportunity to check out his Mr. Sampras' racquet because I also used a PS. I'll have to say that the grip under the Tourna had more give than leather.

CR Jason
09-10-2006, 02:57 PM
leather grips are ok.

neo
09-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think Sampras uses a leather grip. I occasionally go to his part-time stringer and had the opportunity to check out his Mr. Sampras' racquet because I also used a PS. I'll have to say that the grip under the Tourna had more give than leather.

Sampras's stringer, Nate Ferguson, said in an interview that Sampras moved from leather to Wilson Sponge grip at the end of his carrier because he was developing blisters.

neo
09-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Do you guys use overgrips with your leather grips? If yes, which ones?

tennisdarren
09-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I found that I prefered the feel of Babolat leather on my old LM Prestiges, I used Gamma supreme white overgrips with it.

RM05
09-11-2006, 12:21 AM
For me the Babolat leather was smooth and not to mention stinky! HAh. It has a bad stench to it but it'll rub off after a while. Just remember to wash your hands after playing. I like the hardness of leather grips but i'm getting blisters, even underneath my callus...... T_T but......Blister pains feel good in a way!