PDA

View Full Version : Heavy pace shots need advice

oray777
09-03-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm having problems hitting my opponents groundstrokes with pace. Slower balls are okay but once the shots have heavy pace i can't seem to return the shots well so basically i can rally too good.

andyroddick's mojo
09-03-2006, 01:00 AM
you have to be able to anticipate the ball very well. If its coming really fast, be sure to swing earlier to meet the ball better. Another important thing is that, although your opponent's ball may have lots of pace, you don't always have to return it at the same pace or higher. try slicing it to slow it down, or hitting with more topspin and less pace, so it goes over slower. Pros almost never accelerate their rallies for more then 5 balls, after that, someone is bound to miss a shot or slow it down. Just look at federer and how often he uses his slice backhand. He uses it to change up the pace. MANY MANY players cannot handle this change of pace, especially when the ball bites really well into the court.

ucd_ace
09-03-2006, 02:55 AM
If you're having trouble dealing with pace, you should try to shorten your take back and concentrate on just meeting the ball. Your opponents pace will be enough for you to work with so your shot shouldn't suffer.

Using slice or extra top spin, like mentioned above, are also effective tools. Slicing the ball is going to make it harder for your opponent to generate as much power because you aren't giving him anything to work with, so you'd effectively be slowing down their shots as well.

JordanR
09-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah get that swing going a lot earlier. I'm having the same problem now because most of my practice so far has been against a wall where you know the rhythm and the speed of the ball coming back, so I can time THAT really well. Against players I have to remember to get things going faster. Prior to rolling my ankle yesterday I was playing a big guy with lots of pace and I was doing a lot better just starting my swing earlier than I was used to. Balls weren't going exactly where I wanted but that'll improve with time.

w00gy
09-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Hey,

I have the exact opposite problem. I have no problem returning balls with pace yet with slowballs I seem to make alot of UE's. First I thought about getting an new racquet and all different kinds of stuff.

Then i read some posts on this board and realized that early preparation is the key factor to hitting consitently on all balls. I'm doing it and have noticed my game improving alot by improving my footwork and preparation. I'm still thinking about switching my racquet tough

oray777
09-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Okay i'll try that. You did say you don't have to take such a large swing right? Just get the racquet in front to meet the ball at least in time?

jimiforpres
09-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Just find a hitting partner who hits a ball you have trouble returning and play with him/her as much as you can. It will be frustrating at first but after a few weeks you will have no problem dealing with their shots. There are no shortcuts in tennis.

mahouFuji
09-04-2006, 12:38 PM
just watch the ball until you hit it and hit the ball and ur pace not the other guys. cuz if u follow the other guy ur messin ur own game up

oray777
09-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all your advice and i will work with everything you gave me. I also wanted to ask if practicing against a ball machine would help too?