PDA

View Full Version : grip clarification

raiden031
09-03-2006, 04:47 AM
I need some clarifications on the grips. I have the impression that an eastern grip is directly in between a continental and a western. Eastern is like holding a hammer (The V in your thumb/index fingers is lined up with the frame). Turn the racquet clockwise (right) and you have continental. Turn the racquet counter-clockwise (left) and you have western.

For the forehand, why do they recommend eastern for beginners? From the first time I ever held a racquet I naturally wanted to use a western on a forehand. Just the other day I tried holding an eastern grip for fun and it seemed difficult to put top spin on the ball and was an awkward swing. Anyone else have a hard time doing an eastern forehand?

andyroddick's mojo
09-03-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't think you have your grips classified very well. eastern is not like holding a hammer. continental is like holding a hammer. to get continental put your palm flat on one side of your string bed, then slide it down to your handle. eastern would be when the base knuckle of your pointer finger is on top of the next clockwise bevel. another bevel after that is semi-western, and then ANOTHER bevel after that is western. eastern is usually taught to beginners because it feels more normal. semi-western actually feels very awkward for beginners.