PDA

View Full Version : topspin lob observation (obvious point?)

grizzly4life
09-03-2006, 02:29 PM
i had been thinking of trying this out and i did and i liked the result.

anyhow, alot of my topspin lobs were going long. happy with how i'd hit them, but they'd go a few feet out.

i think i was paranoid at getting past the opponent at the net.

but at my level (low 4.0, but it might work a little higher up), i was thinking why am i so paranoid about getting the topspin lob past the net guy?....

so i started hitting topspin lob really hard with tons of topspin, and if it gets past the net man, all the better.... but i found my opponent who has a pretty good overhead had alot of trouble with the pace of the shot and the fact that it's pretty hard to line up properly.... basically i'm not focussed on getting it really deep, more focussed on pace and topspin. obviously don't want to hit it too short.

anyone else thought of this or used it.... bear in mind, i'm talking 4.0 level, and doubt it would work as well in doubles as your opponent is generally much more set.

any responses greatly appreciated!!... i wonder if it worked initially just because of surprise factor.

travlerajm
09-03-2006, 03:22 PM

anyhow, alot of my topspin lobs were going long. happy with how i'd hit them, but they'd go a few feet out.

but at my level (low 4.0, but it might work a little higher up), i was thinking why am i so paranoid about getting the topspin lob past the net guy?....

so i started hitting topspin lob really hard with tons of topspin, and if it gets past the net man, all the better.... but i found my opponent who has a pretty good overhead had alot of trouble with the pace of the shot and the fact that it's pretty hard to line up properly.... basically i'm not focussed on getting it really deep, more focussed on pace and topspin. obviously don't want to hit it too short.

anyone else thought of this or used it.... bear in mind, i'm talking 4.0 level, and doubt it would work as well in doubles as your opponent is generally much more set.

any responses greatly appreciated!!... i wonder if it worked initially just because of surprise factor.

This is one of the philosophies that Dick Gould taught his players at Stanford.
When his players go for a topspin lob, they don't hold back on the topspin - they let it rip. It can be effective at any level, but it's a shot that takes some practice to be usuable with consistency.

AJK1
09-03-2006, 08:45 PM
One of tennis's conundrums: To bring the ball down, you must hit up!!

fx101
09-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Don't hit it too short though. When you get into 5.0's the tweener return becomes a problem.

mahouFuji
09-04-2006, 12:39 PM
wow.... u guys are nuts.... 4.0, 5.0.... im getting murdered by 5.0 double bagel.... and 4.5 like 6-2, 6-2.....

maverick1
09-04-2006, 02:37 PM

I am roughly at your level, and my experience agrees pretty much spot on with your observations.
My topspin lobs invariable land 1 to 3 feet long. They have the best results when they are unintentionally low, like below 10 feet. That is just enough to clear the opponent, but it is too difficult to intentionally keep your lobs in this tiny window.

I use 6 to 8 ft high, medium paced topspins as down the line passing shots whenever I am pulled outside the court. Opponents can stretch and get a lot of low passing shots, but have little chance of stretching sideways to volley a ball at a height over 6 feet. Usually, they let they ball go and are shocked when the ball lands well in. The shot you are describing seems to be very similar. I agree with you that at at our level, people have trouble putting this away even if it comes straight at them. Unless he is crowding the net. But then I think the players who stand within 4 feet of the net are poor volleyers. They may put away anything that comes at them, but they are giving you plenty of room to go around or over them.

Geezer Guy
09-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Remember to aim you lob over your opponents left shoulder. That way - if he DOES get to it - at least it won't be an easy overhead that he can pound.

kevhen
09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I have been hitting my lobs too high and too flat but have noticed when I put more top on them and hit them lower they seem more effective and I play 4.0 so I would agree with all of this. Even if the opponent gets his racquet on the ball, he may be late and hit an overhead that sails long. 4.0s don't always have crushing overheads unless you hit a really weak lob, so it does makes sense to just hit an aggressive high topspin shot than a true lob.