PDA

View Full Version : Roddick has changed his Racquet Specs!

travlerajm
09-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Andy Roddick changed the weight distribution of his racquet a month ago to make his racquet more spin friendly.

The giveaway? His 2hb is not nearly is flat and powerful as before, even though his stroke is the same as before. This indicates that he has moved more of his counterweight from the upper handle to the butt, thereby making his racquet more polarized. It effects the 2-hander more than his other shots, but it also adds a little spin to his forehand and serve, making them less penetrating, but heavier with more margin for error. He now has the option of hitting a cross-court backhand pass if needed.

If you don't believe me, watch a tape of Roddick during any match from Wimbledon or earlier, and you'll see that the ball comes off his 2hb differently. You'll also notice that his serve is not as flat.

VAmazona
09-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Or, being the world class athlete he is, could have altered his technique, just a little.

travlerajm
09-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I can't say for sure if any of his people read this post from last month. Perhaps it was just that someone in his camp coincidently decided to change his racquet the same way I suggested?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=986578&postcount=1

travlerajm
09-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Or, being the world class athlete he is, could have altered his technique, just a little.

I'm not talking about technique - I'm talking about the ratio of the ball speed to the racquet head speed on his 2hb. The difference is obvious if you compare the before and after videos.

jackson vile
09-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Andy Roddick changed the weight distribution of his racquet a month ago to make his racquet more spin friendly.

The giveaway? His 2hb is not nearly is flat and powerful as before, even though his stroke is the same as before. This indicates that he has moved more of his counterweight from the upper handle to the butt, thereby making his racquet more polarized. It effects the 2-hander more than his other shots, but it also adds a little spin to his forehand and serve, making them less penetrating, but heavier with more margin for error. He now has the option of hitting a cross-court backhand pass if needed.

If you don't believe me, watch a tape of Roddick during any match from Wimbledon or earlier, and you'll see that the ball comes off his 2hb differently. You'll also notice that his serve is not as flat.

I thought we already talked about this, but the weird part in my opinion is that the volleys did not get any worse, why is that?

Also this is what John recomended, good your you John where ever you are:p

travlerajm
09-03-2006, 03:19 PM
I thought we already talked about this, but the weird part in my opinion is that the volleys did not get any worse, why is that?

Also this is what John recomended, good your you John where ever you are:p

Assuming the change is what it appears to be, it wouldn't change the power level on his volleys, forehand, and serve because his tension is probably a few pounds looser to maintain the power level. It reduces his power level on his 2hb a lot without affecting the power level his other shots because the impact axis of rotation is different. Today his 2hb noticeably lacked punch, but he didn't make many unforced errors when pressed like he used to. He smartly found ways to avoid hitting too many backhands today.

For the volleys, this change would actually add stability because the recoil weight is higher. The benefit of the added recoil weight would offset the disadvantage of a grabbier stringbed for volleys.

AJK1
09-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I think your gonna get found out soon travlerajm!;)

travlerajm
09-03-2006, 03:31 PM
I think your gonna get found out soon travlerajm!;)

Why, do you suspect that I'm John Cauthen? Or do you think Roddick's people actually paid attention?

ollinger
09-03-2006, 06:47 PM
You are one seriously grandiose character. A scientist who only considers one explanation for an observation -- the self-serving explanation. Turn in your slide rule, you fraud.
________
3 stage grinder (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/)

travlerajm
09-03-2006, 10:06 PM
You are one seriously grandiose character. A scientist who only considers one explanation for an observation -- the self-serving explanation. Turn in your slide rule, you fraud.

Then it must be purely coincidental that:

A) There and significantly changes in the way the ball comes off Roddick's racquet on his 2hb.
B) His 2hb that has looked the same since he came onto the tour, suddenly changed a month ago - curious timing.
C) The changes in his 2hb exactly match the changes I said would occur if he made the spec changes I suggested.

Is anyone else noticing that his 2-handed backhand, while still mediocre, is now less powerful than before, with more spin than before, while his stroke trajectory looks identical to what it looked like before?

This change is obvious to anyone who has paid close attention to Roddick's game. Of course, Jimmy Connors came onto the scene at the same time, so maybe it was his idea?

RB
09-04-2006, 07:34 AM
He is trying to hit the ball flatter---stepping in to it more-----(Connors Influence)--he admitted that he and Connors were slightly retooling his Backhand

jackson vile
09-04-2006, 08:17 AM

You life is a waste of time, F off!

jackson vile
09-04-2006, 08:20 AM

A) There and significantly changes in the way the ball comes off Roddick's racquet on his 2hb.
B) His 2hb that has looked the same since he came onto the tour, suddenly changed a month ago - curious timing.
C) The changes in his 2hb exactly match the changes I said would occur if he made the spec changes I suggested.

Is anyone else noticing that his 2-handed backhand, while still mediocre, is now less powerful than before, with more spin than before, while his stroke trajectory looks identical to what it looked like before?

This change is obvious to anyone who has paid close attention to Roddick's game. Of course, Jimmy Connors came onto the scene at the same time, so maybe it was his idea?

The thing though is that his racket does not look any more solid for volleys, also consider that be is now playing a full poly instead of the hybrid and that is where the more spin less power could be coming from.

And yes I have given thought that travler was john from the very begining, but Travler is much more coherent and not going off about himself the way John kept doing, also not looking to sell something.

Travler have you read John's writings and what did you think of them and him?

travlerajm
09-04-2006, 01:35 PM
The thing though is that his racket does not look any more solid for volleys, also consider that be is now playing a full poly instead of the hybrid and that is where the more spin less power could be coming from.

And yes I have given thought that travler was john from the very begining, but Travler is much more coherent and not going off about himself the way John kept doing, also not looking to sell something.

Travler have you read John's writings and what did you think of them and him?

Remember that the change I was advocating would have minimal effect on his other strokes - the main reason for the change is to fix his 2hb. It is possible to significantly reduce the power level of the 2hb while keeping the power level about the same for the other strokes. It appears that this is the change that he has made. I'm surprised that none of the TV analysts have noticed it.

The one strategic change that I attribute to Connors' influence is the fact that he is now working harder to make sure that he uses his 2hb as little as possible. He is hitting more forehands. His "new" 2hb is not suitable for baseline rallies at the pro level, but it is now adequate for passing shots - more than could be said about it before the apparent spec change.

As for John Cauthen, he was one of the 2 interesting posters who attracted me to this forum in the first place, along with Macksamualhustovisics. John obviusly has a lot of trial and error experience, and I find some of his conspiracy theories highly amusing even when there are obviously inaccurate.

I have read John's opinions on Roddick's and Serena's racquets. However, it is just coincidence that I agree with John's assesment that Roddick's racquet was not right for him. My thread about Roddick's racquet was in no way influenced by John's posts. Rather, I was venting my frustration with Roddick's game, knowing from my own experience with racquet customization that his racquet was serious holding him back from realizing his full potential. I knew that a simple fix could help him, so I thought it couldn't hurt to throw my idea out there for his people to see.

Spindarella
09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Roddick didn't change his specs. He has changed his technique slightly. Hitting through the ball flatter, crouched a little more than he used to. His backhand was retooled with Connors' recommendation, but the specifics of the change almost certainly came from the input of Segura and another outside coach.

Bill Tilden
09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Roddick didn't change his specs. He has changed his technique slightly. Hitting through the ball flatter, crouched a little more than he used to. His backhand was retooled with Connors' recommendation, but the specifics of the change almost certainly came from the input of Segura and another outside coach.

:confused: in only few month this difference?

Spindarella
09-04-2006, 10:09 PM
:confused: in only few month this difference?

Yeah the changes weren't too big. Mainly crouching more, swinging through flatter, stepping in more aggresively. Things he should have already been doing.

AlpineCadet
09-05-2006, 01:23 AM

A change in string tension and racket weight would require a change in technique, and the many hours of practice time needed to perfect those experimental changes are at a very expensive price. I doubt he'd do all this equipment adjustment just to increase more spin on the ball, when a slight change in grip can do all that. Issues of equipment comfort, timing, etc. will all have to be adjusted just for the new tweaks/changes in his racket's weight distribution, and i doubt that's the case at all. This post is sincerely advocating customization in order for better play results, and I think that's the point you're trying to make.

travlerajm
09-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Yeah the changes weren't too big. Mainly crouching more, swinging through flatter, stepping in more aggresively. Things he should have already been doing.

Swinging through flatter? Do remember what his 2hb used to look like? It was a missile - hit or miss. His stroke looks the same as before, but now its softer with more margin for error.

tommytom11
09-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Andy changed his weight/balance slightly earlier this summer. Roman from RPNY who does his customizing had been trying to get him to do it for a while.

travlerajm
09-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Andy changed his weight/balance slightly earlier this summer. Roman from RPNY who does his customizing had been trying to get him to do it for a while.

Apparently Roman saw the same things that I saw.

jackson vile
09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Apparently Roman saw the same things that I saw.

Case closed!:o

AlpineCadet
09-06-2006, 11:44 AM

there's no proof to this, so it's all he-said, she-said as of now.

Case closed!:o

so it isn't case closed. although it would be an easier thing to just accept what you read and throw away the idea if it doesn't interest you. :rolleyes:

Spindarella
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Swinging through flatter? Do remember what his 2hb used to look like? It was a missile - hit or miss. His stroke looks the same as before, but now its softer with more margin for error.
In the past year, before Indy, Roddick had only used his backhand to get the ball back. He would never use his backhand as an offensive shot. He would try to spin it deep, but he would never flatten the ball out. Since Indy, he has started to use his backhand as a weapon. He is now more comfortable flattening the stroke out, especially down the line. I know the people who worked with him on this stroke. He changed it.

I can't say for sure that he hasn't changed his racquet specs, you obviously know a lot more about racquet specs than I do, and I trust your observation. But I can say for sure that he has made some changes to his backhand.

travlerajm
09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
In the past year, before Indy, Roddick had only used his backhand to get the ball back. He would never use his backhand as an offensive shot. He would try to spin it deep, but he would never flatten the ball out. Since Indy, he has started to use his backhand as a weapon. He is now more comfortable flattening the stroke out, especially down the line. I know the people who worked with him on this stroke. He changed it.

I can't say for sure that he hasn't changed his racquet specs, you obviously know a lot more about racquet specs than I do, and I trust your observation. But I can say for sure that he has made some changes to his backhand.

The change is more obvious in situations where he needs to hit a passing shot. The "Old Roddick" had really only one high percentage option on his backhand when his opponent was at net.

His backhand could only be hit hard and flat, so his first option was always to drill it over the low part of the net directly at his opponent. That worked adequately for a couple of years until the scouting report caught up to him, and opponents were ready for it. After that, opponents started closing in tighter to take that option away from him.

His 2nd option was to hit the pass down the line, but because has backhand was so flat, the down the line shot (over the high part of the net with a shorter court) was low percentage for him. So his opponents basically dared him to hit that shot, and most of the time he would miss it.

For most people, the crosscourt passing shot is go-to option. But with Roddick's overpowered overflat backhand, it was not an option for him.

Now, his 2hb is lower powered, and with more spin, even though his stroke is the same (when he goes for his shot). The "New Roddick" has the option to hit passing shots either down the line or crosscourt.

jackson vile
09-06-2006, 06:18 PM
there's no proof to this, so it's all he-said, she-said as of now.

so it isn't case closed. although it would be an easier thing to just accept what you read and throw away the idea if it doesn't interest you. :rolleyes:

Great another noob:rolleyes:

Spindarella
09-06-2006, 07:35 PM
The change is more obvious in situations where he needs to hit a passing shot. The "Old Roddick" had really only one high percentage option on his backhand when his opponent was at net.

His backhand could only be hit hard and flat, so his first option was always to drill it over the low part of the net directly at his opponent. That worked adequately for a couple of years until the scouting report caught up to him, and opponents were ready for it. After that, opponents started closing in tighter to take that option away from him.

His 2nd option was to hit the pass down the line, but because has backhand was so flat, the down the line shot (over the high part of the net with a shorter court) was low percentage for him. So his opponents basically dared him to hit that shot, and most of the time he would miss it.

For most people, the crosscourt passing shot is go-to option. But with Roddick's overpowered overflat backhand, it was not an option for him.

Now, his 2hb is lower powered, and with more spin, even though his stroke is the same (when he goes for his shot). The "New Roddick" has the option to hit passing shots either down the line or crosscourt.
I'm not really talking about his shot choice. I'm saying he has made small changes in his swing. Maybe he doesn't always implement those changes on every shot. But I have watched him practice and I have watched him in matches since he made the changes. I am good friends with the person who told Jimmy what changes should be made exactly. Again, I think you are probably right about the changes made to his racquet. I'm not arguing that. I'm sure that change is helping him as well. By the way, i love your threads on racquet customization (something I am trying to learn more about). Keep them coming.

couch
09-06-2006, 07:50 PM
I was watching him tonight and thought he was hitting his backhand harder than before. ?????

Spindarella
09-06-2006, 08:20 PM
I was watching him tonight and thought he was hitting his backhand harder than before. ?????
harder with less effort is the goal

NoBadMojo
09-06-2006, 08:48 PM

this is really quite backwards..he's hitting his backhand flatter and harder these days and more able to rip it up the line not softer and spinnier..this is one reason why his results have been beter lately. for you to say by watchin the guy hit that he changed his specs is well..err..hard to comment on, but when your premise for saying this is backwards well errrrr, that;s hard to comment on as well

Spindarella
09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
this is really quite backwards..he's hitting his backhand flatter and harder these days and more able to rip it up the line not softer and spinnier..this is one reason why his results have been beter lately. for you to say by watchin the guy hit that he changed his specs is well..err..hard to comment on, but when your premise for saying this is backwards well errrrr, that;s hard to comment on as well
thank you for bringing sense to this thread!

AlpineCadet
09-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Great another noob:rolleyes:

in the context that you said "case closed" it sure sounds as though you're the noob. :rolleyes:

travlerajm
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM

He's hitting his backhand harder because he doesn't have to worry about hitting it long anymore, because of the lower power level and extra spin. Now he can swing out with confidence.

Spindarella
09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
He's hitting his backhand harder because he doesn't have to worry about hitting it long anymore, because of the lower power level and extra spin. Now he can swing out with confidence.
But this is also why he has changed his swing.

NoBadMojo
09-07-2006, 06:20 AM

you were just saying that he hits it softer and spinnier now and now you are agreeing he hits it harder....almost all of your posts throughtout the forum are or become self contradictory or are twists to make it fit for you..its a real pattern

johnkidd
09-07-2006, 09:03 AM

I can see it, Tiger Woods will make changes to his swings between rounds, as he did between the third and fourth rounds at Firestone a couple weeks ago. Deciding to step in more and hit a flat ball I think would be easier to adjust then a golf swing. Plus last night vs. Hewitt is was evident he's making a commitment to hit flat down the line instead of rolling everything crosscourt.

travlerajm
09-07-2006, 09:32 AM
you were just saying that he hits it softer and spinnier now and now you are agreeing he hits it harder....almost all of your posts throughtout the forum are or become self contradictory or are twists to make it fit for you..its a real pattern

If you read carefully, I have been entirely consistent in my posts.

But for you, I'll repeat it...

I recommended that Roddick change his racquet specs so that his racquet would hit a softer and spinnier ball on his 2hb. That way it would allow him to drive through his shots with more margin for error. His passing shots with the "old racquet" were overpowered and flat, giving him no margin for error on dtl passes and making short-angle cross-court passes nearly impossible.

It appears that he did make these changes before the US Open Series. Now, the ball does comes off his racquet softer and spinnier. Because of this, it allows him to take his normal full swing with confidence, and it even allows him to use his 2hb drive as a viable rally shot. Before, he could not rely on his 2hb during a baseline rally because the ball was too flat and error prone. The "Old Roddick" often resorted to 1hb slices or moonballs, even when the the ball was attackable.

He has been using the same 2hb stroke for 15 years. It is unlikely that his 2hb has undergone a significant change in stroke mechanics. Close scrutiny of "before" and "after" videos of Roddick's backhand proves that his stroke is essentially the same - the only difference is the way the ball comes off his racquet.

mileslong
09-07-2006, 10:02 AM
dude, you actually think that someone who knows roddick read one of your ridiculous posts about this and gave this to roddick and now they have changed his weighting because of it? oh my god..thats so delusional i cant believe it.

you have been contradicting yourself throughout this thread. roddick is doing one thing differently, he is hitting up the line more thanks to conners, period. you cant have softer spinnier shots and yet more powerful shots at the same time. you say he hits softer spinnier shots which allows him to swing harder thus hitting harder passing shots. it just doesnt add up. give it up...:rolleyes:
making them less penetrating, but heavier with more margin for error. He now has the option of hitting a cross-court backhand pass if needed.
how in the hell do you hit a softer, spinnier less penetrating ball yet heavier at the same time? a penetrating ball is a heavier ball by definition.

TheRed
09-07-2006, 10:40 AM
travlerajm, you need counseling.

andrew_b
09-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Assuming the change is what it appears to be, it wouldn't change the power level on his volleys, forehand, and serve because his tension is probably a few pounds looser to maintain the power level. It reduces his power level on his 2hb a lot without affecting the power level his other shots because the impact axis of rotation is different. Today his 2hb noticeably lacked punch, but he didn't make many unforced errors when pressed like he used to. He smartly found ways to avoid hitting too many backhands today.

For the volleys, this change would actually add stability because the recoil weight is higher. The benefit of the added recoil weight would offset the disadvantage of a grabbier stringbed for volleys.

MUHAHAhahahahahahahahahah that's hilarious.

Thanks for a good laugh today, I needed one.

play well,
Andrew

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 11:42 AM

Here you go right here, make an email and we will know the facts end of story.

Travler don't even bother with the morons that make zero comparable contributions to this board, just some loser kids that can't even play tennis LOL:mrgreen:

andrew_b
09-07-2006, 12:38 PM
...make an email and we will know the facts end of story.
What on earth does that mean??

Travler don't even bother with the morons that make zero comparable contributions to this board, just some loser kids that can't even play tennis LOL:mrgreen:
Who's a moron or loser kid that can't play tennis?

play well,
Andrew

mileslong
09-07-2006, 01:29 PM
What on earth does that mean??
no one ever knows what this guys means...:confused:

AlpineCadet
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Here you go right here, make an email and we will know the facts end of story.

just like this post of yours. i dont see the kindness in your words here in all the others posts which you've written, so why start now? you obviously admire travler, because you think he travels with andy roddick, and you also feel a need to be his protector. he's a grown man, he can handle BS on his own without you coming to rescue him :rolleyes:

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 01:53 PM
just like this post of yours. i dont see the kindness in your words here in all the others posts which you've written, so why start now? you obviously admire travler, because you think he travels with andy roddick, and you also feel a need to be his protector. he's a grown man, he can handle BS on his own without you coming to rescue him :rolleyes:

If my points aren't valid them argue them, he has done a lot for everyone on here for free. So anyone making personal attacks like that is going to have to make it past a large line of people, good luck.

AlpineCadet
09-07-2006, 01:57 PM
If my points aren't valid them argue them, he has done a lot for everyone on here for free. So anyone making personal attacks like that is going to have to make it past a large line of people, good luck.

oh i agree with you on how not only I, but most of us, are appreciative of travlerajm's insight. no arguements here. i totally love reading his posts. it is just the rest that seems to be slightly less useful, i.e. when you say the things you say to defend him.

AlpineCadet
09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
and also.. i believe when a statement is made, people naturally tend to seek for the truth in their own ways, and asking questions in an accusatory tone might be one of many ways things progress for them.

if so, fine, it's life.

it's best to take things with a grain of salt, or if you can, you can just play back on things yourself. but the bottom line is people are asking questions, and they want answers. you do the same, just in your ways.

jackson vile
09-07-2006, 02:46 PM
and also.. i believe when a statement is made, people naturally tend to seek for the truth in their own ways, and asking questions in an accusatory tone might be one of many ways things progress for them.

if so, fine, it's life.

it's best to take things with a grain of salt, or if you can, you can just play back on things yourself. but the bottom line is people are asking questions, and they want answers. you do the same, just in your ways.
:confused:

AlpineCadet
09-07-2006, 02:56 PM
:confused:

i guess the point is lost on you.

Spindarella
09-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey let's all be friends!

AlpineCadet
09-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Yes, let all be friends! :)

EricW
09-17-2007, 06:14 PM
The people in this thread saying that Trav contradicted himself.. Seems like a contradiction right? His racquet hit's softer spinnier shots with the same technique due to a change in weight distribution, but Roddicks now hitting harder backhands?

Trav is saying because of the softer spinnier result, Roddick can take bigger swings, be more confident, and really go for his backhand.. Same way I can hit much harder with my K90 (in a game situation) than some overpowered OS frame..

EricW
09-17-2007, 06:17 PM

You're twisting what he said... he never said Roddicks backhand is softer and spinnier, he said with the same exact swing, after the change, the result would be a softer spinnier backhand.. but apparently Roddick swings faster now, because he doesn't have the same fear of hitting it long

Rabbit
09-17-2007, 06:28 PM
^another pattern

AlpineCadet
09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
The people in this thread saying that Trav contradicted himself.. Seems like a contradiction right? His racquet hit's softer spinnier shots with the same technique due to a change in weight distribution, but Roddicks now hitting harder backhands?

Trav is saying because of the softer spinnier result, Roddick can take bigger swings, be more confident, and really go for his backhand.. Same way I can hit much harder with my K90 (in a game situation) than some overpowered OS frame..

If you didn't realize it, this thread is over a year old.

ht4444____
10-06-2007, 05:26 PM
then....
can anybody give me his racket's specs????
(uso2003 and actual specs)

PurePrestige
10-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Roddick Specs
330 grams
33.75 cm
357 SW

Those are old specs that someone posted, forgive me for not citing who. I think those are from around 2003, I dunno if its before or after USO win or not.

Since then I think he's added some weight, or I remember reading he added 3grams to the head and didn't like it at first but decided to stay with it. I dunno if its 3grams in the bumper or at 3&9. But his swingweight etc. is probably a bit higher these days.

PurePrestige
10-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Actually I looked it up in the post. Not sure how recent or old those specs are.
It was Greg Raven's post, you'll have to ask him how old/recent those specs are for ARod.

Tennis_Bum
10-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Why waste so much time talking about Roddick's 2hb. His backhand sucks anyway. He's overrated as player. I give him credit, tons of credit for his hard work but that's it. He has very little talent compared to the current Big Three. Roddick is always seem off balance when he rallies. What's up with that?

LPShanet
10-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Roddick Specs
330 grams
33.75 cm
357 SW

Those are old specs that someone posted, forgive me for not citing who. I think those are from around 2003, I dunno if its before or after USO win or not.

Since then I think he's added some weight, or I remember reading he added 3grams to the head and didn't like it at first but decided to stay with it. I dunno if its 3grams in the bumper or at 3&9. But his swingweight etc. is probably a bit higher these days.

Are these numbers strung specs or unstrung?

PurePrestige
10-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Those are the strung specs i'm pretty sure.