PDA

View Full Version : Rebound overhead: always in the net!

Boris
09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi guys,

if there's one shot I *always* miss, it is the rebound overhead. I am not talkink about the difficult ones. Just imagine you have hit a very powerful groundstroke, your opponent barely gets to it and hits a very high lob, you let it bounce (inside the service line), you have all the time in the world to set up and hammer it... I miss this shot 99% of the time, and it invariably goes into the net by just a little bit.

Any idea about what I am doing wrong?

I am a good 4.0 player, my regular overhead is not the best part of my game but isn't that bad either, and have a good serve with sound mechanics.

ceejay
09-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I used to have that problem. I was told I was hitting it too late and I wasn't underneath it enough when I made contact. You're supposed to treat it like another serve.

Thud and blunder
09-04-2006, 05:36 AM
You're probably treating it as if you've already won the point, and are switching off mentally, leading to poor footwork, poor preparation etc.

Alternatively, you might be opting for power over placement. Don't try to thrash it into the stands; you're better off powering down and picking your spot.

TommyM
09-04-2006, 05:47 AM
It's very simple: you aim too steep (down). Solution: Aim deeper.

But no, it gives such satisfaction to hit the ball with a thump into the ground, ha? You are paying the price for your ego... :)

Win the point and the match, don't humiliate your opponent.

fx101
09-04-2006, 06:43 AM
First try aiming it deeper (like between service and baseline). When you get comfortable with that try aiming closer and closer until you learn the art of the smash.

LuckyR
09-04-2006, 10:08 AM
The next time, tell yourself "I don't care if this goes out but it will not go into the net, no matter what!" This is the quick fix. The real problem is footwork, not your stroke.

will1087
09-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Don't get lazy with your footwork.

xtremerunnerars
09-04-2006, 10:59 AM
How about we switch shots. I whiff on nearly every overhead, but i DESTROY the "rebound overhead" I love the shot, and bounce it over my opponent'(s) heads.

But yeah, think of it more as a serve. That's what i do, and it works for me.

FuriousYellow
09-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Only you would know if the problem is your footwork. Are you sure it's not something simpler like dropping your head while trying to peek at the open court?

AngeloDS
09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
There are shots you must volley.

You just need to see it; if the ball does not have a high arc -- you volley it. That happens to me sometimes the arc isn't high but it comes over my head so I push it into the open court. With a higher arc you overhead but you're aiming deep.

Supernatural_Serve
09-04-2006, 02:13 PM
your opponent barely gets to it and hits a very high lob, you let it bounce (inside the service linebut isn't that bad either, and have a goodThat's your first mistake. Take a high lob out of the air if its ultimately going to bounce inside the service line.

papa
09-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Sounds to me like your not keeping your chin up - drop your chin/head too soon and guess what, you'll net the ball a good percentage of the time.

Boris
09-06-2006, 07:24 AM
To reply to some of the comments/tips above: I do strive to volley and hit overheads without letting the ball bounce. Sometimes, on very high balls, the ball comes almost vertically and fast, it is difficult (at least for me) to time a volley/overhead correctly.

It could be a matter of footwork. Difficult to check it by myself, I should probably get a friend to take a video of me.

Papa and FuriousYellow: this could be one reason. I really try to keep my head up till the stroke is complete (and by the way this has improved my regular overhead a lot), but I could be forgetting it on the rebound overhead.

Another thing: might I be not turning my shoulders enough? This could bring the ball down into the net (and I suspect I might be doing this on the regular overheads as well). What do you think about this?

kevhen
09-06-2006, 07:30 AM
I add a little bit of slice to most rebound overheads that I hit for a safety margin. You do need to aim a little bit deeper on the court so they make it over the net more than 1% of the time. Is your racquet too light and causing you to swing too fast or are you standing too far behind the ball on these rebound overheads?

LuckyR
09-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Boris- I agree with you. You should bounce these. They sound almost vertical and the timing to hit it when it has bounced (slower) is much less prone to mistakes than hitting it on the fly.

Boris
09-06-2006, 07:56 AM
I add a little bit of slice to most rebound overheads that I hit for a safety margin. You do need to aim a little bit deeper on the court so they make it over the net more than 1% of the time. Is your racquet too light and causing you to swing too fast or are you standing too far behind the ball on these rebound overheads?

I don't think my racquet is too light, but I could easily stand too far behind the ball. Not easy to judge this by myself, I'll need to ask someone to check that for me. The rebound overhead is not a shot I hit very often (I take most of them before they bounce), but missing them is really disruptive on my confidence...

kalisthenes
09-06-2006, 03:37 PM
it happens to me as well and i think as was said above hit deeper rather than steeper and yes it doesnt feel as good. Also practice with someone on the other side giving you hight bouncers in the right position and you going for it again and again until you get it right.

skuludo
09-06-2006, 04:52 PM
You are most likly not getting underneath the ball as mentioned earlier. You should still be able to hit smashes over the net without turning your shoulders at all (Not recommended). Sampras sometimes hit those weak smashes.

Running closer to the ball when you hit your rebound smash will solve the problem; however, if you run past it then you will hit the smash long. Getting the right distance will determine whether you may hit the smash short, deep, or in the net.

Also the ball has to bounce high enough for you to be able to perform a sucessful smash. If it's too low just hit a forehand.