PDA

View Full Version : Disguising FH drop shot

Mladen
09-04-2006, 03:44 AM
I have trouble with disguising FH drop shot because of grip. If I switch early to continental it is easy to anticipate. If I make a huge fake backswing with my semiwestern I can't hit solid drop shot.

What to do? Change the grip during the swing (with one hand?) or learn to hit drop shot with semiwestern?

naturalgut
09-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Just swing normally, and at the last moment slow your stroke down and cut under the ball. I occasionally hit drives with a double handed slice forehand, and that really works well as disguise when throwing in a dropshot.

ucd_ace
09-04-2006, 04:59 AM
Play deep slices to the corners every once in awhile. That way it forces your opponent to play honest when you show a drop shot grip. Plus, it's such a nice feeling when you show drop shot, your opponent starts moving in, and you slice it right behind them.

travlerajm
09-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I sometimes take an exaggerated step into the ball. It makes your opponent think that you are going to try to crush it deep.

Another thing that helps is to develop the forehand slice approach shot. Since the takeback for a slice approach is the same as it is for the drop shot, it's much easier to disguise the drop if you have a slice approach in your toolbag.

Bagumbawalla
09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
The effectiveness of the dropshot is based on catching the oponet off gaurd.

If you have any signaling motions or tell-tells, you reduce the surprise.

Learn to hit with your normal grip. Practice.

mahouFuji
09-04-2006, 04:41 PM
try looking one directions and drop shot it the other way oh and try putting a little slice into the shot